Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, the main headlight bulb has started to flicker then goes off. These are original bulbs I think. It’s a 2011 f-sport. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to say how much is it for a new one and is it best to go genuine.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

The bulb is a D4S HID, genuine around £200.00 each part number 90981-20024.

Aftermarket from around £40.00 a pair on the likes of eBay, if you do go aftermarket probably best to replace as a pair.

The bulb is a D4S HID, genuine around £200.00 each part number 90981-20024.
Aftermarket from around £40.00 a pair on the likes of ebay, if you do go aftermarket probably best to replace as a pair.

Are the aftermarket ones decent. I’ve seen genuine for £80 on Lexus official parts website. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't go for unknown brands. I've owned my car for over 13 years. And there was a time when my HID bulbs needing changing I opted for different brands. I tried at least 4 different brands all of which worked for a while but within a year they all started doing the same thing over and over again. The bulb manufacturers kept saying it's my ballasts. But I then switched to original Philips product which you can get online much cheaper than the dealer and i'm still running those bulbs 6 years on. I'm not saying go for Philips but those are the OEM bulbs. But go with a reputable brand like Philips or Osram.

Lexus Parts Direct seem to have a good offer on it: https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-sc/lexus-sc430-2001-2010/lexus-sc430-exterior-interior/lexus-d4s-xenon-bulb/

Never used this site but it seems like Genuine Lexus parts

I wouldn't go for unknown brands. I've owned my car for over 13 years. And there was a time when my HID bulbs needing changing I opted for different brands. I tried at least 4 different brands all of which worked for a while but within a year they all started doing the same thing over and over again. The bulb manufacturers kept saying it's my ballasts. But I then switched to original Philips product which you can get online much cheaper than the dealer and i'm still running those bulbs 6 years on. I'm not saying go for Philips but those are the OEM bulbs. But go with a reputable brand like Philips or Osram

Can you tell me where you got your Philips ones from, and how much where they. Thanks

1 minute ago, kellogsj said:

Can you tell me where you got your Philips ones from, and how much where they. Thanks

I got them on eBay for around £60 each over 6 years ago. So these genuine lexus ones for £70 seem good

Also, you have to be careful on eBay. There are a lot of fake products. There are lots of Philips bulbs that have chinese writing etc that are fake. The genuine Philips bulbs are made in germany if i remember correctly.

• Like 1

Also, you have to be careful on ebay. There are a lot of fake products. There are lots of Philips bulbs that have chinese writing etc that are fake. The genuine Philips bulbs are made in germany if i remember correctly.

I’m not sure the link you sent me those genuine Lexus ones is the same part number as the ones which fit the 250.

9 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

I’m not sure the link you sent me those genuine Lexus ones is the same part number as the ones which fit the 250.

Yes the part number is different because I think the ones sold on there are more universal D4S bulbs instead of the specific one with the part number you are looking for. But those are also D4S so that's the main thing. You could message them and ask them just to be sure. If you go to the IS second gen section on that website and click Interior Exterior and find the D4S bulb it takes you to the same bulb.

Like I mentioned, the main thing is that you get a D4S fitment bulb from a reputable brand. I've used Philips but i've heard Osram is just as good too. Some go with the cheaper brand ones and dont mind swapping out when they fail. But I prefer to do it once and have it last longer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

If you fancy Osram here you go

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-night-breaker-laser-d4s-xenon-single-box-48177223Z?type=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1ImytisBlu0gb9tOwJnhMDnQJ9_NDmP6s-ESpOdYbYElHKmLhjmSyt7rYRoCASUQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Just now, steve2006 said:

They look good and at least it's from ECP so you have good warranty too. Good price too. With ECP always check for coupons 🙂 

Yes the part number is different because I think the ones sold on there are more universal D4S bulbs instead of the specific one with the part number you are looking for. But those are also D4S so that's the main thing. You could message them and ask them just to be sure. If you go to the IS second gen section on that website and click Interior Exterior and find the D4S bulb it takes you to the same bulb.
Like I mentioned, the main thing is that you get a D4S fitment bulb from a reputable brand. I've used Philips but i've heard Osram is just as good too. Some go with the cheaper brand ones and dont mind swapping out when they fail. But I prefer to do it once and have it last longer.

Thanks Ahmed. I think I’ll go genuine for £70. Which isn’t to bad. Would it be worth getting 2.

Just now, ahmed24 said:

They look good and at least it's from ECP so you have good warranty too. Good price too. With ECP always check for coupons 🙂 

I noticed they have an “up to 60%” discount so ran it up to checkout and got £1.00 odd off!

1 minute ago, kellogsj said:

Thanks Ahmed. I think I’ll go genuine for £70. Which isn’t to bad. Would it be worth getting 2.

If you are not replacing it like-for-like I would personally recommend changing both as the colour wont 100% match. Even if it's like for like depending on the age of the other bulb it may differ in colour output

Just now, steve2006 said:

I noticed they have an “up to 60%” discount so ran it up to checkout and got £1.00 odd off!

Haha that's ECP for you. Those discounts are only for certain products that they over-inflate the base prices on LOL

Hahahahaha that’s what’s happened when put the discount code in too [emoji1]

I wouldn't go for unknown brands. I've owned my car for over 13 years. And there was a time when my HID bulbs needing changing I opted for different brands. I tried at least 4 different brands all of which worked for a while but within a year they all started doing the same thing over and over again. The bulb manufacturers kept saying it's my ballasts. But I then switched to original Philips product which you can get online much cheaper than the dealer and i'm still running those bulbs 6 years on. I'm not saying go for Philips but those are the OEM bulbs. But go with a reputable brand like Philips or Osram.
Lexus Parts Direct seem to have a good offer on it: https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-sc/lexus-sc430-2001-2010/lexus-sc430-exterior-interior/lexus-d4s-xenon-bulb/
Never used this site but it seems like Genuine Lexus parts

Is this the same as this 90981-20005 HID. It’s saying it’s right fit. I’m not so sure though.

34 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

Is this the same as this 90981-20005 HID. It’s saying it’s right fit. I’m not so sure though.

As long as the bulb is D4S it is the correct item. The part number you are looking at is a exact specific Philips XenEco 42402 bulb. This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152524343870 

However on that Lexus Direct parts page seems like they have a more universal D4S but i'm not sure what brand they are using there but it will fit. 

Phlips even now do the Phlips XenEco vision which is supposed to be brighter and whiter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152524421068

Like I said before as long as it's a reputable brand like philips or osram and is a D4S bulb it will work.

I'm just looking up part number 90981-20005 and that seems like a D2S bulb which is the wrong HID bulb for the second generation IS.

Brilliant, thanks for your help.

I'm just looking up part number 90981-20005 and that seems like a D2S bulb which is the wrong HID bulb for the second generation IS.

Those Philips ones are coming out say £44 plus £4 postage. They seem ok.

Just now, kellogsj said:

Those Philips ones are coming out say £44 plus £4 postage. They seem ok.

Keep in mind they coming from Germany so may take a little longer to arrive with everything going on right now.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links