Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Milage range

rhosneigr

Hope someone can help. Normally when I fill up with fuel the Range usually shows around 400miles which on the average miles per gallon shown of 45 is reasonably near the mark. Filled up yesterday with the average mpg  showing 46 the range shows 539 miles. Any ideas why and can anyone explain how the range is calculated. I realise that it's only an estimate on a hybrid  but surely 539 is well out. 

Some sort of black magic or witchcraft is used by the car to work out what it thinks fuel consumption and/or available range on what's in the tank will be, based on various parameters such as previous driving style, temperature and so on.

Fuel consumption always goes down in warmer weather, so more miles there. If you've been gentler on the loud pedal, more miles there. If the Battery has recently gone flat or been disconnected it will have reset the driving style that it had previously learned, so may be more miles there.

And of course, fuel consumption being such a fickle beast it could be that green socks give you more miles than red ones, blue Y-fronts give you more miles than red boxers and so on.

• Like 3

Thanks Herbie. What you said makes perfect sense now that it's been pointed out. Not been going out much during lockdown and I have been lighter on the throttle. The Battery did go flat about two weeks after lockdown so the system has obviously picked up on the gentler throttle. As for socks I generally wear navy or beige but it would be to much information regarding underwear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rhosneigr said:

Thanks Herbie. What you said makes perfect sense now that it's been pointed out. Not been going out much during lockdown and I have been lighter on the throttle. The battery did go flat about two weeks after lockdown so the system has obviously picked up on the gentler throttle. As for socks I generally wear navy or beige but it would be to much information regarding underwear. 

I agree with Herbie, however 539 mile range, takes the biscuit!

My GS 450h has never shown more than 450 miles after filling up.

Do keep us all posted please John, just in case you have discovered a magic elixir!

• Haha 1

When it comes to driving, I rather like this warmer weather and the more relaxing lifestyle as a consequence of the pandemic.  I changed to a CT 200 Hybrid a few months ago having had a Volvo v50 drivE for 8 years.  I expected a drop in mpg as a consequence of the change and that was certainly true.  Through the winter months when I was doing high mileage the CT200 gauge was showing around 50 - 53 mpg, though the true mpg was around 46-49 mpg.  Warmer weather and gentler driving has LED to gauge reading 60-63 mpg, but the real figure has been 54 to 59 mpg.  Nowhere near the advertised mpg of 65-70 that I've seen on the adverts, but still no complaints from me - as I don't profess to have learned all the techniques associated with economical driving of a Hybrid car.  The fuel tank is 45 ltrs, so if I can continue to achieve the kind of mpg I have had the last couple of weeks, 580 miles should be possible from a full tank

19 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

My GS 450h has never shown more than 450 miles after filling up.

A CT is more economical that a GS! I would see over 500+ miles on my old IS300h when filling up.

The calculation is mainly based on your economy over the last calculation period, which is a period of time/distance much smaller period than the full tank. Therefore if you have averaged 60+ mpg over the last 50 miles say, the full tank average would be well into the 500s.

• Like 1

Remember that, as remaining with empty tank with a hybrid car is quite problematic, the range is calculated in a very conservative way, when fuel reserve lamp goes on I read on my RX just 50 km. left, but actually in tank there are at least 9 liters before going empty, and with my mpg  I could make more than 100 km.

I have travelled around 60 miles after the low fuel light came on and ended up with a tank total of 418 miles.when i did fill up there was still about 6 litres in the tank,due to the current hot weather my current mpg is 63.2.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links