Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tools and stuff in Boot

I  needed to 'borrow' the scissor jack and operating handle from my RX450h for a different purpose of which more later.

The tools in the appropriate holder like the spare tyre/wheel seemed never to have been used in my car, it having been maintained by Lexus Cheltenham from the initial purchase from them and subsequently me. So I suppose everything (and that's not much) should be there. However, all I have is the scissor jack, its operating handle, a security wheel nut key and a handle incorporating a formed end to remove wheel nuts.  Additionally, there is an unused plastic bag to put your punctured tyre in and a towing eye - that's it However, there is an empty space adjacent to the towing eye and although it'snot clear Step 4 on page 592 of the Owner's Manual appears to show what could be spanners in a cover.  I would be grateful if somebody would confirm whether something there is missing from my 'tool kit'

I remember how cars used to come with a tool roll often kept inside the spare wheel.  I suppose manufacturers don't want you to work on your more complex cars these days and save on the weight and cost by providing only the basics and not all of those as well as hitherto.  For instance there is no wheel chock.  Luckily, I kept the folding metal one, from my 2.5 V6 Camry of many years ago.  Missing also is a folding triangle with reflectors that can be placed behind your car as a warning.  I have retrieved one from a BMW I broke for spares.   Talking of the BMW, it had a tool compartment incorporated in a drop down panel in the boot lid accessed by a couple of turns of a plastic wing nut.  It included open ended spanners, box spanners, plug spanner, flat and cross head screw driver, wheel spanner and locking wheel nut key. self adjusting pliers, and emergency sunroof key, towing eye and a couple of other things including the aforementioned safety triangle, all readily assessed without emptying out boot.  It was necessary to lift the spare wheel cover partially to remove the side jack and wheel chock though.  This was all provided in the 2001 E39 5 series of 2001.

Oh, what I used the Lexus scissor jack for? Needed to move the immobile BMW sideways so I could access bolts to remove doors.  I used trolley jack to raise wheels slightly and put scaffold boards against side of house.  I then used a combination of concrete and wooden blocks plus the scissor jack to push the car over against the wheel.  The process was repeated several times adding additional packing.  The trolley jack tended to lean over so had to be lowed and reposition frequently. The Lexus handle proved too flimsy to use so I used a tommy bar on the end of some steel tube to turn it.  Prior to this my neighbour and I had tried to physically push the car over on the trolley jack but without success.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, Barry14UK said:

I remember how cars used to come with a tool roll often kept inside the spare wheel.

Remember them saying that in olden times every Rolls Royce had a comprehensive tool kit so that the chauffeur could do running repairs, like taking the engine to pieces to fix even major breakdowns whilst on the Grand Tour :wink3:

Malc

6 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

Barry you have too much time on your hands 😂,I felt like I was there helping you lol

Hi  Scotty,

Well, I never have enough time really!  My wife and daughters say I am too much of a perfectionist which is probably true.  I like my cars to have all they should have when they left the factory plus sometimes with a few upgrades or changes I make.  I used to enjoy working on old but more simple cars, even making my own tools to do so sometimes.  But a combination of increasing car complexity and problems like back trouble and less incentive, mean I won't be breaking any more cars. I also have to make good and finish work on my bungalow which the builder made a poor job of, so I ended the contract. Then I do have other interests and forums to keep up with and sometimes add my 2p.

Just noticed you have a supercharged RX450h - can't be many of those about!  Have you done a story on it so it can be compared with standard model performance? 

Barry

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Remember them saying that in olden times every Rolls Royce had a comprehensive tool kit so that the chauffeur could do running repairs, like taking the engine to pieces to fix even major breakdowns whilst on the Grand Tour :wink3:

Malc

Well Clarkson would break anything (except perhaps that Toyota that survived numerous assalts) but the story used to be that RR didn't like to have one of their cars seen to have broken down and that in such a case they would whisk it a away under cover PDQ.

• Like 1

Just had a look at mine - with low mileage and just one former owner I'd expect for it to be reasonably intact - and I can see nothing beyond what you describe.

I have a few tool pouches from various Toyotas (and Datsuns/Nissans) I've had over the years - the only items from them that I use with any regularity are a 10mm spanner when swapping batteries around and a screwdriver for taking paint tin lids off.

The Mk1 LS400 I've just bought has a neat toolkit in a dropdown panel inside the boot:

IMG_1883edit.thumb.jpg.4cd95a07af1c60b3386d77ccf324305b.jpg

It's all branded Lexus as well (unlike many of the components on the car) and there's another tool underneath the wheel chock. Looks like it's barely been used in 161,000 miles and 28 years. What's nice is I can get to it without having to remove all the clobber out of the boot first, which I just did to remind what the RX had....

While I was in the back of the RX, I'll give the boot cover a minus point for being a poor design that doesn't cover all of the luggage space and is easy to misalign when pulling it closed, but the solid boot floor panel is good and I like the way it folds in half then has a little clip to hold it out of the way when retrieving the jack etc. The 2015 Avensis had some flimsy bit of plastic with carpet that wasn't very substantial.

Just had a look at what is there in my 2011 and there is a small toolkit (unbranded) in a pouch in a little compartment next to the wheel nut socket under the floor behind the left passenger seat in the boot.

Toolkit small.jpg

Thanks to those that kindly looked or commented.  I have added to my boot the first aid kit and folding safety warning triangle from the old BMW, the folding wheel chock from my previously mentioned Camry wrapped in rags, some 'wipes', a very small amount of swarfega in a screw top cosmetic jar, a multi tool in a leather pouch (already used the knife an scissors on this), a torch,  a spare torque wrench in case wheel needs to be changed, a socket T bar and extension with alloy tube extenders for changing wheel as I don't like the provided tool, a tyre gauge, a small compressor for tyres, a high visibility jacket, some jump leads and a tow rope.  I have yet to obtain a spare bulb pack which is a requirement in some countries.

And a few pairs of nitrile or similar disposable gloves. I wish I'd have had those when I got a gash in my rear tyre. No wipes and hands were filthy but all went OK and we got home safely.

Alan

53 minutes ago, Lager shandy said:

What's all this talk of repairs to ones cars ,your in a Lexus  now that's pheasants work lol 

Those tools in the pouch in mine definitely look like they have never been used before.

7 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

What's all this talk of repairs to ones cars ,your in a Lexus  now that's pheasants work lol 

And we ALL know what pheasant pluckers get up to, don't we?

• Haha 1