Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery mode

JPG

Hi 

As a new owner I’ve just got a question about the Battery.

Am I right in thinking that when you are driving along and it goes into charge mode,is the car running on petrol or Battery? Just that it shows neither,just the blue arrow going to the Battery.

Also does the car automatically go into EV mode when doing low speeds?just that the EV light comes on the dash when I’ve not pressed it

thanks.

Hi Jon,

If conditions are right then you can force EV mode yourself rather than leaving the cars algorithm to control it.

In the CT loaner I had the EV button seemed like a bit of a gimmick as the button override only worked on a few occasions.

The vehicle needs to ensure that the Battery is being managed correctly, the cabin heat is sufficient, etc so often the engine keeps running.

In my older hybrid, there isn't the option to force EV mode via a button so there's less to worry about 😉  Although in my old barge, you can force EV mode with your right foot (providing x, y, z all pan out).

Cheers, Lee

• Thanks 1

Right I see,so not really needed then.

ive been telling the wife to put it into EV mode whene she’s around town,and she said it does it it’s self,and I’m saying no you have to press it😂

she’s right as always😁.

• Like 1

When the car is in charge mode the petrol engine is running and recharging the traction Battery and driving the wheels.

The car may go into charge mode when braking gently, using regenerative braking. The electric motors are acting as alternators and the mechanical brakes are not operating until the speed drops too low or braking demand increases above what the regen can accommodate

• Thanks 1

mechanical brakes only work at speeds of 7mph or less and in an emergency situation

the car can sense its an emergency by the speed / pressure applied to the brake pedal.

• Like 2

Right I get it now,I did notice it wasn’t always blue when the arrows where going back to the Battery,I’m getting it now 😂

EV mode is useful for climbing a hill at low speed and saving fuel or driving into your road late at night so as not to disturb anyone. Other than that it's not worth bothering with as the car will look after everything automatically. It can be a case of robbing Peter to save Paul. For instance if you force EV mode at the end of your journey the Battery will deplete. This means that when you next drive the car the engine is likely to run for longer to charge the Battery.

• Thanks 1

I basically use EV mode for moving the NX on the driveway to avoid starting it up to move a few feet. Other than that, there is little point in activating it.

I need to move the NX to get the LC out... 😄

• Like 2