Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm not driving my RCF enough

As the heading is saying. I not using my RCF enough. I'm getting a bit board with just trips around the harbour and I have don't have a reason to drive. Its not used as a daily. No holidays planned this year. No road trips planned this year. It a waste of a beautiful car. Its not even reached 20,000 miles yet and I bought it last Sept with 17,500 on it. 🤥🤕

Not sure what I'm asking here! May be should I sell? What do you think?   

I just love driving and quite often take myself out and around the Cotswolds, just for the hell of it! Can be gone for a couple of hours at a time, glorious countryside, great roads.

Can't be that far from you in Oxfordshire? If one loves driving one doesn't need a reason to go out. 

If the car isn't costing you, just to have it sat at home, then hang on a while maybe your enthusiasm will return?

• Like 2

I am in exactly the same position. The car is in the garage under a cover and never comes out. I think have cleaned it more than I have driven it. I keep looking at Loti, Caterham and classic Alfa's. I think I need my thrills at lower speeds....

Really? Do ye not just go for a drive in the evenings? I have put on 6,000 miles on my ISF since January. About 80% of it was unnecessary. If I only drove the car where I "needed to" I would have probably covered less than 2000. What's stopping you driving it?

• Like 2

I don’t think any of us have really driven anywhere of note since the beginning of lockdown. Certainly not for the hell of it. 

I ventured out yesterday and filled my GSF for the first time since the middle of March just before the madness began.

It’s guzzled a tank of petrol just pottering to the local supermarket and back, a couple of times a week. 

hopefully now with the easing of social distancing restrictions, it’ll be time for a run out to a favourite country hostelry for a glass of non alcoholic lager, a bite to eat, and an Italian tune up (up to the single carriageway maximum of 60mph obviously) on the way there and depending on willpower maybe the way back too, if not I’ll be more than happy to relax in the passenger seat.

Keep it if you can OP, and enjoy it, if not you’ve had one, and you can always get another if you feel the need!

I'm opposite, been using mine more - reached similar conclusion last year so daily driving it when nice weather. Sometimes go the long way home - although this activity has now been spoiled somewhat as people get back to work in their 45mph everywhere mode. 

Let's say my car is worth 21k - I don't owe anything on it so it costs me tax, warranty and servicing which averages out about £150 a month.

What can come close to that for such a low figure? 

Although every situation is different - that's my logic (biased reasoning to keep)

We have 3 cars and none have them have been anywhere of note in the last 3 months, total mileage is under 100 miles. I feel the RCF needs to be driven at warp speed ,I am always worried about my licence and it is not really suited to being flung around the lanes of Hertfordshire. Short term it is staying, it is a brilliant car!

I’m in a similar situation, which became more apparent recently when I took it for its service and when checking the book realised I’d done just under 1000miles in a year.

Although it seems a shame I can justify it in a petrolheads way that I have a young son (1.5yrs) another little one on the way so not much spare time and also suffer from carowner virus 😂

So for now it will be staying. 

One thing I used to enjoy was going for a blast later at night towards the end of the week after a long week at work. Maybe worth a try to rekindle some of your enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

The GS has been SORN as MOT and re-tax coincided with the 1st week of lockdown. I have driven precisely 4 miles since then (just around our block of houses on private roads to move the tyres), it saved me money in the short term but I do miss driving it. Have a Biposto as a daily and the GS was my Fri-Sun treat to keep miles lower. It will be back on the road at the end of this month and I will find any excuse to go for a blast! I'm usually a mid-late evening driver, have some fantastic roads near me and I find driving very therapeutic and good way to get over a pants day at work. If you ever need a buddy for a blast somewhere, as of next Tuesday I'm all ears 😛

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, The Bodyman said:

As the heading is saying. I not using my RCF enough. I'm getting a bit board with just trips around the harbour and I have don't have a reason to drive. Its not used as a daily. No holidays planned this year. No road trips planned this year. It a waste of a beautiful car. Its not even reached 20,000 miles yet and I bought it last Sept with 17,500 on it. 🤥🤕

Not sure what I'm asking here! May be should I sell? What do you think?   

Where on earth did you manage to find a harbour to drive around in the landlocked county of Oxfordshire!  

• Like 1