Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg In Town

About 300 metres per gallon (Thats what it feels like anyway :lol: )

I was reading in another thread about the Optimax giving you better MPG so I tried it out, it didn't give me better MPG for what I noticed but it did make my car feel a bit smoother (So i've kept with it)

Maybe its just that thingy syndrome, where it doesn't work but you think it does (Whats the word someone??)

This is gonna sound a bit obvious and crazy all at the same time, but the Lexus ain't (from the 7 days I driven one) a "going up the shops" style car. My missus borrowed it for one day and burnt more fuel than I use in two days driving to work (70 mile round trip).

On the motorway it's fine, and gladly sits at about 2-3000 revvs - strangely though with my old Diesel (non-turbo, non injection) car I used to fill up once a week - always on a Friday night. Now, considering I've had the Lexus for one week exactly - PLUS the fact that I've been driving it to "nowhere in particular" ('cus I've only had it a week and want to!), I filled up last night - Thursday, which isn't bad at all!

The official figures for the IS200 are:

Urban:

Manual: 21.4 mpg

Auto: 20.2 mpg

Extra-urban:

Manual: 36.2 mpg

Auto:36.7 mpg

Combined:

Manual: 29.1 mpg

Auto:28.5 mpg

I've never used my car for urban only driving but find the extra-urban and combined figures to be very close to what I get for that type of driving.

I've had my lex for two days now and decided that they ony put the MPG gauge there to torment us!!!!

I keep glancing down at it hoping it will one day be sitting sonwhere above 25mpg,

mide you it would help if my right foot was a little lighter! :whistling:

How do you reset the ECU and why?

If it's anything like a Toyota just pull the ECU fuse out for a couple of minutes (common practice on MR2s, Celicas, etc.).

Doing this will force the ECU to "re-learn" so it will make better use of anything that's changed on the car - an essential task if you do any mods.

Had a run down to devon this weekend. Round trip of 370 mainly dual carriageways and B road's. Managed to get 30 MPG. And i was hanging around.

How do you reset the ECU and why?

If it's anything like a Toyota just pull the ECU fuse out for a couple of minutes (common practice on MR2s, Celicas, etc.).

Doing this will force the ECU to "re-learn" so it will make better use of anything that's changed on the car - an essential task if you do any mods.

Ta, do you think my new Bee Sting Aerial will qualify for a ECU reset.. :D

i have been using optimax now for the last five fills, and havent really seen any difference in economy, but must say as well that the engine does much run smoother, especially from startup, and also accelerates noticeably better at low revs