Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dear All,

Hope you are all keeping well and safe.

Since the lockdown, my Lexus IS250 (2006 model) has been mainly used for short trips around town instead of the usual 50 mile daily commute on A roads / motorway.

I've noticed that the car now feels sluggish and noticed the rev counter dropping a couple of times as if the car was misfiring.

I also only fill up the car with applegreen fuel (my local petrol station), however on my last shopping trip, since Sainsbury's petrol was dirt cheap I've filled up the tank and the power problems started a few days after filling up which makes me think that it could be due to Sainsbury's fuel or just a pure coincidence.

Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

Also, I will be going for a long trip with the Lexus tomorrow and was thinking of filling up the tank with Shell V Power and adding an injector cleaner to see if it helps.

Your recommendations would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

I've used Sainbury's petrol in mine since I bought it 3 years ago and no issues.

The problem is all the pottering about. Save your money on fancy fuels and injector cleaners and just give it a good old Italian tune up. 

• Like 2

I only ran mine in v power or nitro as it's now called or Tesco momentum is just as good. You dont need to add anything else apart from that then give it the beans.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tyre Tread said:

just give it a good old Italian tune up. 

Agreed. Disconnecting the Battery for a little while would also probably help as the 'problem' is more likely the gearbox. Double check the situation re: immobilisers etc first though. Don't want your next thread to be be "My IS250 won't start".

I wouldn't bother with the V Power and cleaner.

I agree don't put anything in the tank except fuel. Not sure vpower is worth bothering with really, regular shell fuel is good enough unless the car requires (and can make use of) the higher octane, but in any case the odd tank of vpower isn't going to hurt your wallet too much.

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

With half a tank of Sainsburys fuel, I've filed up the tank with Shell Vpower and went for a 350 miles round trip.

Gave it the "Italian tune up" ( I really missed that V6 sound and the dials turning up red!), and the car now feels a lot more responsive and idles as usual.

I'm not expecting to return back to the office until September / October and will be working a lot more from home, so I guess we have to now wait and see whether the car reverses to being sluggish anytime soon.

It maybe a case of giving it the Italian tune up every now and again.

Regards,

Lexusisfan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, I think my IS250 also needs a quick tune up as I have noticed that when starting up the car it is very sluggish and even drops the Rev so low that the car stalls - I have an automatic so embarrassing with the Mrs in the passenger seat.

I am thinking it is carbon build up, but will take it on the motorway this weekend and see what happens.

Second will disconnect the Battery to reset Ecu.

Any other recommendation? Shall I take to a garage to have it scanned for diagnosis.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links