Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh no! my timing belt components held by customs.

I have never been in this position ever and I have imported guitars and parts for them from all over the world yet this morning I received an Email from Rock autos saying there could be a delivery problem as customs was holding them.

We are both sat here waiting for the front door to  be kicked in and being yelled at.

• Like 1

oh dear, maybe they've had an issue in the past with some potentially spurious RockAuto declarations.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, you are in the UK and not some place where they really would just knock the door down and put you up against the wall and do unmentionables to you ......................  I guess:unsure:

Malc

make sure you're drinking plenty of caffeine induced coffee, just in case

The situation  means your items are sat on a shelf waiting for a guy or gal to get around to checking them over for any kind of contraband , if the declaration by Rockauto checks out you will get them eventually, how long it takes depends on which side of the bed that guy or gal got out on.

No...he meant the timing belt that drives the timing gears.

The drive belt is for ancillary units like alternator, water pump, power steering pump ( if hydralically driven ) and air con compressor.

• Like 1

That's unusual as Rockauto deliveries usually come straight through customs, at least in my experience...I typically select one of the Fedex options.

What postage option did you select Mike?

When placing the order do you remember seeing a customs/import charge pop up? - I've only seen this a few times and haven't figured out the reason why.

That happened me as well - took them over a week to release it and it was just 2 bits of chrome trim of all things - and they had the audacity to charge me for the privilege. I can't recall off hand but it was either £12 or £20 either way the shipping and "customs" charge cost more than the parts (but was still cheaper than I was quoted here)  

It can just mean, 'they' missed the next lorry out that day...

Happened to me... delayed by a day.

I thank you all for your possibilities as to what could have happened. I have been given a telephone number to DHL the carrier to ring up and have a friendly chat.

More details later.

I'm in the same position. Having listened to messages from both HMRC and Royal Mail, my understanding is that Royal Mail deal with non European imports and will send me a letter advising how much I owe for Taxes and Duty, together with their handling fee. It's a good job it's not urgent!

10 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Have a feeling that my most recent purchase from Rock was delivered by Yodel.  May be wrong.  DHL - beware scam emails. Can't recall Rock using them but?  May depend where you are located?

Thanks for the heads up on scam emails, there seems since the lock down loads of them. Nothing any further except that the dhl email I have got is almost a scammer, wants you to ring this number costing a squllion £s per second.

2 hours ago, Howplum said:

I'm in the same position. Having listened to messages from both HMRC and Royal Mail, my understanding is that Royal Mail deal with non European imports and will send me a letter advising how much I owe for Taxes and Duty, together with their handling fee. It's a good job it's not urgent!

Yes I have dealt with those when I have imported guitars from the States. Just have to be patient, like Howard its as well they are not urgent. 

It does seem strange as Rockauto invoice for the parts and shipping cost ( you have the choice of expedited) and then as required by UK customs they also add 20% VAT to the total cost. With the VAT being prepaid ( Rockauto have a UK VAT number) the goods should not be delayed for duty payment.

You should have been given a tracking number once the goods have been dispatched which is easily checkable online.

I recently ordered my ignition parts on the Friday before the last Bank Holiday weekend and they were with me by 1.00pm on the following Tuesday. Bearing in mind the weekend and Bank Holiday Monday that was quick via DHL.

AB601082-0939-4785-A626-BF5041274ECE.png

I agree Steve and I've had stuff arrive from RockAuto quicker than our local dealer can source parts!

I suspect expedited shipping was not selected here

1 hour ago, Greer said:

But that would only apply in country of origin (usually contract law in that country),once any packet leaves the jurisdiction of that country it's outside that countries legal control

RA expidited includes a VAT payment at source (read Steve's reply) and if selected are delivered to you pronto, as I've found on numerous occasions.

If a RA shipment is sat in customs, then I suspect snail mail was selected.

Any orders from Japan always seem to sit in customs and then get hit with fees.

15 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Nothing any further except that the dhl email I have got is almost a scammer, wants you to ring this number costing a squllion £s per second.

DHL are poor with useful telephone numbers BUT they do have an on line Chat facility if you have the reference numbers, and that does work for free too

Malc

On 6/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, Farqui said:

That's unusual as Rockauto deliveries usually come straight through customs, at least in my experience...I typically select one of the Fedex options.

What postage option did you select Mike?

When placing the order do you remember seeing a customs/import charge pop up? - I've only seen this a few times and haven't figured out the reason why.

I always pick FedEx when I buy from Rockauto, and I know they may be a tad expensive but they are brilliant.  I ordered my parts this week, VAT paid, which is what I always do, and the tracking is also excellent.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Howplum said:

I must admit I went for the cheaper shipping option simply because I was in no hurry. 

I picked the cheaper FedEx option but having just checked the tracking (which sadly I do find interesting!) I see my package is already at Stansted just two days after ordering.

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I picked the cheaper FedEx option but having just checked the tracking (which sadly I do find interesting!) I see my package is already at Stansted just two days after ordering.

Well its made no further progress so we will see what we get on Monday. Quickest I have ever received anything from the States was 60 hrs, I was gobsmacked.

Further misery, had to go to the vets to pick up tablets for our border collie who suffers from fits. They had a strange thing going on so that unless it was a matter of life and death owners will not come face to face with the medical staff, you ring them when you have got there, well that's enough of the background, their car parks were full and of course turning my LS around was going to be challenging but we were doing OK until I forgot that they have a very high kerb and it loves nothing better than rip your bumpers off. The search is on. If anyone knows of any one point them in my direction please.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Well its made no further progress so we will see what we get on Monday. Quickest I have ever received anything from the States was 60 hrs, I was gobsmacked.

Further misery, had to go to the vets to pick up tablets for our border collie who suffers from fits. They had a strange thing going on so that unless it was a matter of life and death owners will not come face to face with the medical staff, you ring them when you have got there, well that's enough of the background, their car parks were full and of course turning my LS around was going to be challenging but we were doing OK until I forgot that they have a very high kerb and it loves nothing better than rip your bumpers off. The search is on. If anyone knows of any one point them in my direction please.

Oh no!  Bad luck Mike.  So has it completely destroyed a bumper?  Front or rear?

I had my letter from Parcelforce this morning, 4 days after my parcel arrived in the UK, having passed through 4 different distribution centres in Germany over 6 days! The total is approximately 25% of the price paid, so about £210 for the full Aisin kit, including tensioner. It will be delivered on Tuesday, so 22 days after ordering.

To me this still seems to represent good value.

16 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Oh no!  Bad luck Mike.  So has it completely destroyed a bumper?  Front or rear?

Front. Got myself Lexus Jade green (close anyway) gaffer tape so I will take the black gaffa off and replace that will give me plenty of time to find another one.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Howplum said:

I had my letter from Parcelforce this morning, 4 days after my parcel arrived in the UK, having passed through 4 different distribution centres in Germany over 6 days! The total is approximately 25% of the price paid, so about £210 for the full Aisin kit, including tensioner. It will be delivered on Tuesday, so 22 days after ordering.

To me this still seems to represent good value.

So much for computers that are supposed to make things like this to arrive before you've even realised you even need one.

39 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Front. Got myself Lexus Jade green (close anyway) gaffer tape so I will take the black gaffa off and replace that will give me plenty of time to find another one.

Keep us posted because it's always good to see and hear about our repairs.