Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh no! my timing belt components held by customs.

That’s weird with Rockauto, as you can see from my invoice VAT was automatically added at the point of sale for this and another transaction so they both arrived in a couple of days. Never mind wait until you see the free fridge magnet!

Bad luck on the front bumper Mike and sod’s law I got rid of the other series IV a couple of months ago, wrong colour but intact.

Not damaged the bumper yet but now down to my last spare under cover out of 3.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, steve2006 said:

That’s weird with Rockauto, as you can see from my invoice VAT was automatically added at the point of sale for this and another transaction so they both arrived in a couple of days. Never mind wait until you see the free fridge magnet!

Bad luck on the front bumper Mike and sod’s law I got rid of the other series IV a couple of months ago, wrong colour but intact.

Nope, still living in hope that one fine day it will turn up with our smiling postman. 

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, steve2006 said:

I got my D bushes from Rockauto this morning which I ordered on Wednesday, plus two fridge magnets!  

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

You got 2!   Want to swop one for my Chevrolet Camaro 😀

Nooo, a Chevy and a Pontiac look the biz next to the Mustang!  

Today is a great day I have a letter from Parcelfarce the kidnappers of my Lexus parts they said if I pay them £47 they will let me have my parcel. I have paid so we will see how long I have to wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Ooof, the sting in the tail.

I was expecting the monies to be paid I just don't understand why it takes so long to sort. 

On 6/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, steve2006 said:

You got 2!   Want to swop one for my Chevrolet Camaro 😀

Wouldn't mind a Chevy Camero. (Is it like the Triple D's? 

I used to watch them race at Snetterton against Galaxy 500's when as a lad I did a bit of Marshalling.

Got Jack' Lincoln (Continental?) or Mike's Edsel  going spare.  Interested? Price of a 2nd class stamp

My Brother had one in the late 70s, metallic blue with a big eagle on the bonnet ( or should I say hood).

Decided to have a paint job done and discovered more newspaper and filler than metal.

Pretty sure it was a straight six maybe 3.6 litres.

Bit strange sat in the passenger seat and being responsible for checking oncoming traffic before overtaking 🤔

• Sad 1

Reminds me of two blokes viewing a 70's Roller and one says "Cars got more Puddin(g) than metal under the Windscreen" .  Not heard that expression before, or since.  Didn't they use to use Lead as a filler at one time?  How it stuck to Steel I can't imagine. Non-ferrous maybe, but to steel?  

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Reminds me of two blokes viewing a 70's Roller and one says "Cars got more Puddin(g) than metal under the Windscreen" .  Not heard that expression before, or since.  Didn't they use to use Lead as a filler at one time?  How it stuck to Steel I can't imagine. Non-ferrous maybe, but to steel?  

Steel tins fine with clean metal, and an aggressive flux, Back in the sixties I was tort how to lead load by a skilled body repair worker. It had the advantage of preventing rust on the repaired area, and did not flake off the steel like filler can.

John.

• Like 1

I could just imagine the Health and Safety requirements for lead loading these days....probably full RPE and an extraction booth. You can’t even buy lead alloy solder anymore ( I still have a stock of MIL grade fortunately 😀).

I also have to remove any lead pipe work on gas installations even though it is perfectly sound still and replace with copper.

• Sad 1

Quote:  It had the advantage of preventing rust on the repaired area, and did not flake off the steel like filler can.  Unquote

Would be the best for Wing edges which no matter how much you cure rust and then fill and overspray, the rust reappears after a year.

Got some old lead piping in Garage but don't think I'll try my hand at it. 

Problem with 'no lead' solder is knowing you've got the right flux for it. Still using H J Enthoven flux cored that came from Marconi's premises fifity years ago. Not had joy with silver solder.

15 hours ago, steve2006 said:

My Brother had one in the late 70s, metallic blue with a big eagle on the bonnet ( or should I say hood).

Decided to have a paint job done and discovered more newspaper and filler than metal.

Pretty sure it was a straight six maybe 3.6 litres.

Bit strange sat in the passenger seat and being responsible for checking oncoming traffic before overtaking 🤔

I used to travel to the States, Chicago on a regular basis in the 70s-80s and was a great fan of the Rockford files, well we only had a couple of TV channels in those days. I used to use the same car hire company every time I went and I always had a red Pontiac Firebird with a 5.7 litre engine and a Firebird on the hood/roof, what a beast but it was so wound down it wasn't as fast as what you think it would be but it used to make an amazing noise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I used to travel to the States, Chicago on a regular basis in the 70s-80s and was a great fan of the Rockford files, well we only had a couple of TV channels in those days. I used to use the same car hire company every time I went and I always had a red Pontiac Firebird with a 5.7 litre engine and a Firebird on the hood/roof, what a beast but it was so wound down it wasn't as fast as what you think it would be but it used to make an amazing noise.

When I was little and in London, used to stare through the window of Hampstead Cars on the Finchley Road.

Loved the American cars!

When I could finally afford it, went to see one, was underwhelmed, and bought a Soarer instead!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J88TEO said:

American sports cars! Run out of breath at a ton!

I didn't dare do that, they were so hot on motorists. Our police aren't allowed to hide but over there they hide behind anything and you don't know you have done anything wrong until you see the lights flashing and a quick burst on the siren. 55mph was the max in those days I don't know what it is these days but 55 and in many places 45 was dangerously boring. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Quote:  It had the advantage of preventing rust on the repaired area, and did not flake off the steel like filler can.  Unquote

Would be the best for Wing edges which no matter how much you cure rust and then fill and overspray, the rust reappears after a year.

Got some old lead piping in Garage but don't think I'll try my hand at it. 

Problem with 'no lead' solder is knowing you've got the right flux for it. Still using H J Enthoven flux cored that came from Marconi's premises fifity years ago. Not had joy with silver solder.

A flux that was often used back in the 60's was called killed spirits. It was made by dissolving as much zinc as possible into hydrochloric acid. Very pleasant stuff.

John. 

59 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Our police aren't allowed to hide

But they do. I was travelling in North Wales, and passed a horse box trailer in a layby with a speed camera in it.

John.