Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Budget is £10000, what used RX to buy for best value?

Littlealex

Hi, I owned a Lexus IS 200 early into when they first came out around late 1990s I think it was, loved it. I now have £10000 budget (maybe a bit more) for a second car and would like an RX. I’m not really interested in the other models. Clearly it’s not a huge budget so I may be limited but what would anyone recommend in this instance and what should I avoid? What do I need to make sure of when buying an older used RX, corrosion? Engine problems? I’m in the UK!

thanks in advance!

Hello Andrew and welcome to the LOC.

For your budget you are looking at the RX450h around 10 years old and 100,000 miles at a dealer, most important thing is a full service history and a valid hybrid health check.

Feel free to post up  links of potential purchases for feedback from members.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, that’s good info and thank you for the welcome!

So a 10 yr old RX450 with 100,000 - What kind of lifespan is expected on that if we assume I do everything right with services etc. I’ve heard that with the correct care and servicing etc these cars can go for 250,000 miles or more?

With the hybrid health check is that something the dealer should be offering to show me or is it something I should organise independently by getting an expert in to check it in advance of buying? I would get a mech check prior to buying non-Lexus cars anyway but I wonder if there are any recommendations as to who should check a RX450 - is this something you would only trust an official Lexus dealership mechanic with or could I make do with an AA or RAC vehicle check prior to purchase?

i will almost certainly take advantage of the offer to review some potential purchases, thanks once again 🙂

I would be checking the documented service history which if Lexus should include the hybrid health check ( I think the batteries are now warranted for 15 years provided the checks have been carried out).

You can also check the MOT history of any potential vehicle for free, this gives an insight into how the vehicle has been looked after, previous failures and advisories. I checked an IS250 the other day which was for sale as another member was considering buying it, the MOT had an advisory for a nail in the tyre....it was still in there months later on viewing the car!

Lexus normally offer a free inspection but unless the seller is willing to have it done post purchase you may be better off with an independent pre purchase one as you mention. I’m going back a long time but clearly remember the inspections are pretty comprehensive.

The ball park figures on price and mileage are from dealers, you do have more consumer protection, private sales are generally cheaper but with severely limited consumer rights should something go wrong. Always worth a look at Lexus dealers too as you may get a good part exchange bargain especially if one has been stuck on the forecourt for a few months.

Good luck with your search, the car for you is out there just take your time and if in doubt walk away.

• Like 1

Personally I'd look at absolutely the best 400h you can find and maybe save a bit of money. If you're patient you'll get an absolutely mint, low mileage, low owner FLSH late 400h for a less than £10k. Personal preference obviously but I'd take a low mileage 400h over a higher mileage 450h. Nothing wrong with the 450h, it's just me.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006180254952?radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=RX 400H&sort=year-desc&postcode=s117aq&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&maximum-mileage=45000&make=LEXUS&page=1

They even pop up on the main dealer forecourts and then you'd also get the bulletproof Lexus warranty.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve and Rich, good advice

@Rich - that 400h looks good,although it’s last MOT through this up:

• Nearside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Nail in tyre ()
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge wearing inner edge (5.2.3 (e))

so that looks kinda expensive to me, what do you think?

If you do this as often as I do it looks like 4 items that need attention or have already been sorted in 4 months and 800 miles and 2 items that have been popping up and getting a mention since 2018. Basically nowt :biggrin: Brake pads and tyres.

I used this car as an example of what you can get. Personally, I'd snap it up if I had the cash. That or the other they have for sale.

@Rich, I've been looking around and this caught my eye:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Rx-Estate/400h-33-SR-5dr-Auto-Rear-Sensors-s4cbs5l

from this selection of other similarly priced RX400h as well as some RX450:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/lexus/rx?mkey=46-500017-200342&groupTrim=1&unitSystem=imperial&currency=GBP&useCustomModels=1&vehiclestatus=100||120||130&sort=price%3AASC&atDistancePos=46-502023-506765%3A1&limiter=dkey[46-502023-506765%3A10]&model=618||612||1478||1892&mcategory=all&zip=CM23&radius=80&manufacturer=31&max=8&view=list#result-tools-top

Doing an MOT lookup on the gov site it's not had any issues at all besides a worn tyre. As this is on a Lexus dealers website I'm hoping it's likely to be a fairly safe bet. Do all used cars from Lexus dealers come with warranty and hybrid motors checked etc?

If anyone has a moment to look over the links and voice an opinion that would be much appreciated?

TIA

Buying from Lexus is the safest bet if you're concerned. As previously mentioned, the warranty is excellent. I bought an '02 IS from Lexus Sheffield a couple of years ago and it came serviced, book stamped, taxed, MOT'd, warrantied for a year and with a year's breakdown cover. Pretty sure Merc and BMW don't do that for their older models.

• Like 1

Hey there

I am selling my RX450H

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005189389115

Call me via number on the add and let me know that you are from the Lexus club. Looking to get around 9.5k. Good condition and top spec. Just got a new shape 66 plate RX and I can tell you now, will miss the head up display and sunroof big time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat as you, looking to spend around £10k ona use RX. I was trying to decide between the 400h and the 450h.

In the end, I decided to go for the 450h as it is a much more modern car and a more luxurious car compared to the 400h. The 400h is a great car, especially at the £3k to 6k mark, but as I plan to keep the car for a while, I preferred something more modern with all the toys.

In the end I spent more than planned but picked up an SE-L Premier (with all the options available), under 70k miles and the balance of a Lexus warranty.

If that car hadn't come along, I would have been comfortable spending £10k on a 100k mile SE-L car. In fact, one of the members here has a lovely one owner SE-L car. You could potentially add a Lexus warranty to it as it is under 10 years old. See here: 

Good Luck with the search

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links