Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To RunFlat or not to RunFlat

Mudbutler

...that is the question...

So, in the not too distant future I’m going to need new tyres.
I had previously changed my BMW to standard tyres resulting in less noise and better ride.
I’m tempted to do the same for my LC 500 (21” wheels)

Has anyone swapped their run flats to standard tyres?
Any recommendations?
Which inflation kit do you carry?

Thanks

What mileage have your tyres done?

Like you,I found run flats on BMWs to be poor,but I have to say that the Dunlop’s on my 21 inch wheels have been surprisingly compliant and comfortable.If I were renewing now for any reason I would stick with the same.No idea what they cost or how easy they are to source.

Cheers,

A J.

8 hours ago, AJ500 said:

What mileage have your tyres done?

Like you,I found run flats on BMWs to be poor,but I have to say that the Dunlop’s on my 21 inch wheels have been surprisingly compliant and comfortable.If I were renewing now for any reason I would stick with the same.No idea what they cost or how easy they are to source.

Cheers,

A J.

Thanks AJ,
I’m still on the original Pilot Sport after 7k
Which Dunlop’s are you on? I haven’t seen runflat Dunlop’s for sale anywhere, just seems to be Pirelli or Michelin.

My car has 6k miles now.

The tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050.

I assume they were factory fitted and are stamped Made in Japan.I have seen reference to them on USA forums somewhere .

Looks like they may not be available here from what you say.Typical!

A J.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for resurrecting a year old thread.   I currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport Run Flats on the standard 21 inch alloys and will need to change all 4 tyres in a few months.  I am thinking of going non run flat and have been looking at the Continental Conti Premium Contact 6 which retail around the £250 mark.  My reasons for this is, much more choice, cost, ride, and the ability to repair a tyre should I get a nail in the centre which isn’t possible with Run Flats.  I would just need to get a compressor to store in a cavernous boot we have in the LC500. 

Has anyone got non run flats fitted and if so which ones?  How does it affect the car ride and handling?

Thanks in advance.

My great worry is being out in the middle of no where, the Highlands of Scotland for instance and damaging a tyre & wheel in a pot hole, where could I possibly get a replacement.

A friend experienced this in his LX recently, with no cell coverage he had to walk a couple of miles to phone the AA on a farmers land line, whilst not run flat had to wait two days for replacements.

Something of a conundrum this one. On a previous car, a BMW Z4, with run flats, the ride was uncomfortable and with terrible tram lining. The handling was frankly scary and very unpredictable. On the Z forum, the fitted Bridgestones were known as "ditch finders". Within weeks of ownership I changed to normal tyres which transformed the car. All run flat negatives now replaced with superb handling and crucially no tram lining.

I will however concede the LC run flats are far superior to the experiences I had with the Z especially given they too are Bridgstones! However, in the wet I can readily detect tram lining on the LC and I will seriously consider putting normal tyres on it when the time comes.  I'll do what I did with the Z and carry a can of Holts Tyreweld along with a small compressor, neither of which take up any real space. This nowadays is of course considered the norm by many manufacturers.

Curiously, in all the years I have owned cars and miles driven, I struggle to remember how many punctures I had to contend with. I would think maybe 3 or 4 at the most, and I'll be the first to suggest I may have been lucky in this regard. Furthermore, I can well understand why some would be reluctant to ditch their run flats and the inconvenience a puncture in a normal tyre could cause.

If you do go down the normal tyre route, the perceived wisdom is that one should notify your insurance company if you make this change. Usually this has no impact on your premium, but nonetheless it needs to be advised.

Similar to you Brian, haven’t had a puncture in the middle of  nowhere for a very long time.  All the cars I have had in the last 8 years have all had compressor and can of gunk which is what I am used to now.  Would just call recovery if I had a puncture which seems to be the norm now.  The LC is the first with Run Flats and I do agree that the ride isn’t too bad.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links