Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bluetooth music adapter not working

I have had a 2009 RX400h, limited ed for a while now and have an ipod connector to the stereo which works fine. I have tried several Bluetooth adapters that connect to the back of stereo but none seem to work. If I connect the adapters directly to the stereo they work (via 12 pin) fine. I can connect to my phone and stream music but when I use y cable so that the satnav should work as well, the adapters doesn't work. I have tried several and currently have this one; I have also used different y cables. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Music-Handsfree-MP3-adapter-for-Lexus-RX-IS-SC430/121813412486?hash=item1c5ca52a86:g:sq0AAOSwFGNWRMqc

The seller have suggested that I connect it to a live 12v wire. Before I do that, can I just check if anyone has used this and if there is anything I am missing.

If it is that connecting to a live 12v wire, could you point me in the right direction please? I Don have some doubt about this because if I connect to a live 12v and the satnav is also connected, then the satnav will always be on as well?

Hi. You state that you can stream music via an ipod through your radio unit. You also say when you connect a Y cable your satnav doesn't work. What socket are you connecting to at the rear of your radio? More to the point how do you manage to stream without the Y cable? 

Using those Bluetooth units you have they do not connect to the satnav. Their are units that do connect to the satnavs Blue socket but those units are the expensive ones like Grom and Vaistech. 

I suggest you use the Y connector that should have come with your Bluetooth box. If you didn't get one then ask them for a compatible one.

From the rear of the radio disconnect the smaller of the plugs (the 12 pin one in 2 rows of 6). Plug that cable into the respective socket of the Y cable. Plug the Y cable plug into the radio.and then the multiplug into the Bluetooth unit. 

Satnav will work as normal and you should have Bluetooth and a hardwire connection. 

Look on YouTube for connecting a GTA car kit to RX400h. Your unit is similar but probably not as good. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for coming back to me. Let me clarify: current set up is iPod connector connected to radio via Y cable to the 12 pin plug. iPod and satnav works.

If I disconnect the iPod Y cable from the 12 pin plug and connect the Bluetooth adapter to the radio using the Y cable that came with it, the satnav works but not the Bluetooth adapter. If I connect the Bluetooth adapter straight to the radio (thereby disconnecting the satnav) the adapter works.

I have seen the YouTube video of the GTA car kit and that's how I connect the adapter but for some reason the adapter won't work when I use the Y cable with the satnav on it. I have tried three different ones and it's the same result. 

I'm confused. If you've got the Bluetooth adapter connected the same way as the GTA car kit as on YouTube then how can that interrupt use of the satnav? What confuses me is your statement "the adapter won't work when I use the Y cable with the satnav on it"

To me it sounds like you've plugged into the satnav socket in the radio unit?

If you've got your Bluetooth adapter wired as the GTA then you shouldn't be experiencing any problems. I can only assume your Bluetooth adapter isn't up to the job. 

I suggest go on eBay and look for Yatour YTM06-TOY2 unit with YT-TYY cable and for Bluetooth YT-BTM module. OK it may cost about £130 but reviews make it worthwhile. Or for nearly double that the Vaistech SL3-bL.

The Grom unit has a connector to the satnav but that's even more expensive. 

Edited by Mr Vlad
Oooops my bad

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm confused. If you've got the Bluetooth adapter connected the same way as the GTA car kit as on YouTube then how can that interrupt use of the satnav? What confuses me is your statement "the adapter won't work when I use the Y cable with the satnav on it"

If you've got your Bluetooth adapter wired as the GTA then you shouldn't be experiencing any problems. I can only assume your Bluetooth adapter isn't up to the job. 

I suggest go on ebay and look for Yatour YTM06-TOY2 unit with YT-TYY cable and for Bluetooth YT-BTM module. OK it may cost about £130 but reviews make it worthwhile. Or for nearly double that the Vaistech SL3-bL.

The Grom unit has a connector to the satnav but that's even more expensive. 

Thanks Mr Vlad. Let me go back and look again. I will take photos and post here. Otherwise it will have to be the Yatour. 

22 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hey, could I just clarify that the set up does not interfere with the satnav. What I mean is that the only time the adapter works is when I have plugged it directly to the 12 pin socket at the back of the radio, removing the existing cable that connects to the display - see image one. 

If I plug the adapter to the radio via the Y cable, and add the existing cable that connects to the display (image 2) the adapter does not work. 

The suggestion I was given was to connect the adapter to a 12v cable. But I am not sure about this. 

IMG_20200629_193816.jpg

IMG_20200629_193852.jpg

Well I'd suspect the Y cable is wrong. I've seen BT adapters that within the cable with them there is a positive and a negative wire to connect to a 12v supply. I'd suspect that your BT adapter is at fault if you've used 3 different Y cables.

You must be a dab hand removing the radio now. Bet you could do it blindfolded.

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

You must be a dab hand removing the radio now. Bet you could do it blindfolded.

You can say that again - blindfolded and with one hand. Many thanks for your help. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links