Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oops! I Did It Again!

:biggrin: It is. Though I suspect Ford didn't use a light pressure turbo. Still, noticeably quicker than my GS.

I've had a couple of V70s before, last one was in 2016 and the same as this but AWD too. But cost £1.5k more and was not reliable. Loads of niggly faults so I moved it on. This one is a bit more "honest" and at a grand the risk is minimal. 

I'm running out of stuff to do on the GS so I'm looking forward to sorting this one out.

So since picking up last Thursday

• two new tyres on the front
  • cleaned the thoroughly gross interior
  • new Battery
  • oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter, cabin filter (done today, knackered!)
  • sourced luggage cover, fog lights, driver and passenger mirrors

Currently about £1500 in, which isn't bad at all. A little bit of bodywork needs doing (£250-£300) and rear sensors then it's handed over to my wife. So a big, comfortable, safe family car for less than £2k. So long as everything goes to plan I don't think that's too bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done Richard, that's a smart looking motor 👍 and VERY practical.

I've been tempted by a long legged Swede a few times before (ahem) and it looks like you've grabbed yourself yet another bargain :clapping:

Is it just me, or you also find MOT history's a great read ?

Your leggy Swede seem to like tyres and ball joints/bushes - not surprising given she's a big gal 🤪

These V70s are heavy at the front and do like suspension arms. When the bushes start to go it has an effect on tyre wear. This is actually my third V70 but the first one that doesn't have the characteristic knock knock from the front. And the cambelt isn't due either. I should buy a lottery ticket!

• Like 1

I've had my 2008 V70 for over four years now and still only on 62k.  Such a practical car.  Mine has the 185hp diesel and it just has so much pulling power.  A great car for me being a dog owner as well, plus I can get 3.2 lengths of timber in it!

• Like 1

Ah, so you know their foibles. In my mind they're better than the Saabs (a more civilised drive for one) but are still light years away from the contemporary Lexus/Toyota. Accepted wisdom is that they'll last forever, the engines might but everything else will have broken in the meantime. And everything involves battling with some piece of brittle trim that will snap before letting go!

3 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Ah, so you know their foibles. In my mind they're better than the Saabs (a more civilised drive for one) but are still light years away from the contemporary Lexus/Toyota. Accepted wisdom is that they'll last forever, the engines might but everything else will have broken in the meantime. And everything involves battling with some piece of brittle trim that will snap before letting go!

In the 30k I've driven it its been faultless, and being an SE Sport it's very high spec, the only things that have gone wrong are electrical, drivers side door speakers, alarm micro switch in one door and the sat nav died for a year but came back to life of its own accord!  It actually feels more solid on the road than any Lexus I've had!

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

In the 30k I've driven it its been faultless, and being an SE Sport it's very high spec, the only things that have gone wrong are electrical, drivers side door speakers, alarm micro switch in one door and the sat nav died for a year but came back to life of its own accord!  It actually feels more solid on the road than any Lexus I've had!

"In the 30k I've driven it its been faultless,"

"the only things that have gone wrong are electrical, drivers side door speakers, alarm micro switch in one door and the sat nav died for a year but came back to life of its own accord! "

You had better knock off the tablets Phil !!   (lol)

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

"In the 30k I've driven it its been faultless,"

"the only things that have gone wrong are electrical, drivers side door speakers, alarm micro switch in one door and the sat nav died for a year but came back to life of its own accord! "

You had better knock off the tablets Phil !!   (lol)

I see what you mean!  By faultless I mean mechanically its never missed a beat, we always take it on our Cornish trips.

• Like 1

I like older Volvo's. The phase one V70 though is quite good I have heard.

Had a 1989 240 GLT auto estate for 10 years, 8 as only car and daily driver. Excellent reliability. Recovered once in that time as gearbox output bearing went. £400 to sort. Sold the 240 for £500, only paid £350 for it so got my moneys worth and covered 76,000 miles with me. Sold with 234,000miles

For the last 4 years, I have a 1996 Volvo 940 SE LPT auto estate. Again great reliability and just keeps going. Now on 203,000. Used as my works van. Last week been tidying up the body and fitted some new AC O rings and replaced AC condenser clamp for a better condition one, so now have working AC. Looking for a 960/V90 grey leather interior as fancy electric adjustment front seats with memory function.

James.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesIS220 said:

I like older Volvo's. The phase one V70 though is quite good I have heard.

Had a 1989 240 GLT auto estate for 10 years, 8 as only car and daily driver. Excellent reliability. Recovered once in that time as gearbox output bearing went. £400 to sort. Sold the 240 for £500, only paid £350 for it so got my moneys worth and covered 76,000 miles with me. Sold with 234,000miles

For the last 4 years, I have a 1996 Volvo 940 SE LPT auto estate. Again great reliability and just keeps going. Now on 203,000. Used as my works van. Last week been tidying up the body and fitted some new AC O rings and replaced AC condenser clamp for a better condition one, so now have working AC. Looking for a 960/V90 grey leather interior as fancy electric adjustment front seats with memory function.

James.👍

Thanks James.

I`ve had a 240GLT Auto Estate too, with Brown Leather seats and Electric Sunroof. A great car.

It was followed by a 2 litre 460 GLT which was also reliable, comfortable and surprisingly economical.

I always wanted a 940 Wentworth, but never went there and moved to Nissan Bluebirds which had 2 odometers and were ultra reliable.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Family holiday to Norfolk the other week and the Volvo performed extremely well. Seven up on occasions. Used a bit of oil but I can't grumble for a grand and some parts.

Mine is off to Lands End soon, it's got enough space to pile all our holiday junk onboard!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So exactly a year in and apart from me changing the oil and filter yesterday, zero spend. And a fresh 12 month ticket this morning. That's a result in anyone's book :thumbsup:

IMG_20210627_141433075_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

@rich1068if you haven’t already watched these two videos then you should!

Will do. But he's not annoying is he? He looks annoying :ohmy:

Probably a good 80% of YT content I start and don't finish is down to the presenter rather than content. Anyone else do this? The Germans probably have a word for it.

10 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Will do. But he's not annoying is he? He looks annoying :ohmy:

Probably a good 80% of YT content I start and don't finish is down to the presenter rather than content. Anyone else do this? The Germans probably have a word for it.

Personally I think he’s pretty good, but it’s all a matter of taste! Interesting though, especially the second video.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Phil, any chance of a report on the CRV?

Yes John. The CRV is excellent, it has loads of rear space with the seats flat, has a great driving position, and for a 2.2 diesel its nippy enough. MPG around town is 35ish, I've not done any really long journeys yet, although I did drive it to East London on Monday but traffic wasn't great so hard to tell.  The black leather is easy to keep looking good.  USB ports and DAB radio is welcome. Front and rear sensors and camera also very good. The sat nav is also pretty good. All in all I think it was a wise choice, especially as parts are plentiful and not expensive. It's really practical for a large dog so that's working well also.