Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 GS300 mk3 died on me today!

Was enjoying the day out house hunting with my partner in Littlehampton and Lexi suddently died on me!

Set out just after lunch to look at a few houses. Drive was very relaxing through the A24 with aircon, music and of course the satnav on. After viewing the last house and while attemptng a 3 point turning, the steering bacame heavy and engine died on me! Wow....am miles from home (Sutton, London ) and Lexi's Battery was flat. Didn't notice any warning lights so thought I have a dead Battery.

Jumped start Lexi and off I went but only for about half a mile and everything shut down. Got a friend who live 30 minutes away to bring a Battery. Started and noticed the Battery warning light was on. I may have been too busy concentrating on house viewing that I did not notice the warning light.

So.....is the alternator dead or is it something else?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, J88TEO said:

So.....is the alternator dead or is it something else?

Most likely the alternator but could be something as simple as the drive belt needing to be tightened, although if that was the case I'd expect you would have heard it squealing.

Could be the alternator brushes or rectifier pack. If you're handy with the spanners it should be easy enough to get off and open up. If it's the brushes, you'll be able to tell just by looking as they'll be worn down. If they're OK then almost certainly be the rectifier pack.

If the Battery was already low on charge it was probably that 3 point turn that flattened it with the extra demand from the  electric power steering.

The drive belt also runs the water pump so unlikely broken unless you have over heating problems as well.

Check all the alternator connections including the main earth and also the ALT fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, this should be one with a clear cover over it and rated at 120A.

Then suspect the alternator itself, if you have a multimeter you can check for output by measuring the Battery terminal voltage with the engine off and then again with it running when you should see an increase.

Herbs,

Thenks. Belt is OK as I manager to drive for about 35 minutes with a borrowed Battery and no overheating, except the Battery warnng sign was still on. So most likely the alternator fault.

Will inspect these when I take the alternator off.

Steve, 

Thanks. Will check the fuse when I get her home later today...plan is to bring 2 fully charged batteries ( which I have from my other rides ). Once home I can take my time looking what you suggested.

Appreciated all your inouts and will get back on the issue once I have sorted this out.

Dispite this drama I enjoyed the drive thoroughly!

Drive the car home a couple of hours ago...a installed a fully charged Battery and everything worked, including the EPS. Journey took me just over 50 minutes.

On parking the car the steering suddenly went heavy but I still managed to park. So the journey home drained the Battery to the level it cannot power the EPS.

Had a look on-line and new alternator is about £130.00 ( not Denso but with 1 year warranty ). Will order tomorrow and replace the belt as well.

Once done will report back.

• Like 1

A new alternator and new multi ribbed belt and 2 hours later I have charge! Battery warning light gone. Happy days.

Took the opportunity to check the 2 filters on the oil feed to the cams - phew! it wasa relief to see both are clean and no debris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good result then Joe, you were right to check the VVTI micro filters, for what it takes to check them and the price for them if required it’s a no brainer.

Also thanks for reporting back always nice to see a problem diagnosed and sorted.

That's the first time I've heard of VVTI Micro filters on the oil feed to the cams. Could you give me more info and I'll do mine. On Wheeler Dealers  Edd China did a job on a Honda VTEC that had a gunged up small filter in the camshaft area of the engine which was stopping the VTEC working properly. Am I on the right track here or not even warm. 

Hi Jim / @39buss, several folks have checked their VVT filters and they have all been clear so it doesn't appear to be a common area for concern. 

But as the job costs nothing but effort it's worth doing as it allows some insight into how the internals are holding up.

For more info on these filters, check the thread linked below and let us know how you get on; 

3 hours ago, Farqui said:

Hi Jim / @39buss, several folks have checked their VVT filters and they have all been clear so it doesn't appear to be a common area for concern. 

But as the job costs nothing but effort it's worth doing as it allows some insight into how the internals are holding up.

For more info on these filters, check the thread linked below and let us know how you get on; 

Lee,

Thanks so much for pointing these out in. It was very reassuring to see 2 clean filters 🙂 happy days!

• 4 weeks later...

Coincidentally my GS300 2006 55 plate also had the alternator die...frustratingly the week before I changed it in February.  Car had 120k on the clock.  In 5+years and 32k I think it and a shock absorber the only mechanical non-service parts I had to replace .  On way to work, noticed the red Battery warning light and slight burning smell.  Got to work (~1mile).  Drive to garage, ~3miles across city was tense but car made it. Roy's Motor Company fitted a reconditioned non-Lexus part.  On a forum somewhere I saw a report of another same age Lexus (IS?) with alternator failure.  After 15 yrs, an alternator must do a lot of work so maybe not so surprising some need replacing?  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links