Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h 12V battery

There's been so many topics over the years about this subject that I confess I've lost track.

Did we ever come up with a definitive alternative to going to a Lexus dealer and buying one from them? If so, we could do with it being 'stickied' or at least a topic heading something like "The definitive answer to the RX450h 12V Battery dilemma."

I don't know if it's just me or not but I find the 'Search' facility of this board to be abysmal, and by far the worst of any other board I'm a member of.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There's been so many topics over the years about this subject that I confess I've lost track.

Did we ever come up with a definitive alternative to going to a Lexus dealer and buying one from them? If so, we could do with it being 'stickied' or at least a topic heading something like "The definitive answer to the RX450h 12V battery dilemma."

I don't know if it's just me or not but I find the 'Search' facility of this board to be abysmal, and by far the worst of any other board I'm a member of.

And I get more than dismayed when in spite of repeated requests we still do not have sequential numbering of thread contributions. This the only Forum of which I am a member which does not have it.

• Like 1

I spent 3 days investigating what might be a compatible alternative to the D23 Panasonic AGM VRLA 12v Battery for the 2010-15 RX450h which is located in the boot. My search took me the USA, Europe and Australia and I had discussions with leading brands technical people including Yuasa.  The only one a could find that was a very good match in type, size and performance was the Hankook AXS5523L.  Unfortunately, Megastore, the UK distributor would not import and stock this unless they could be assured of an order of 100+ batteries.  It seems that Hankook retailers in other countries won't supply to compete with the authorised UK supplier Megastore. Actually. Megastore do stock a larger Hankook Battery which would be suitable but it is too long at 260mm  unless you cut and reshaped the floor pan and repositioned the spare wheel slightly.  (I doubt this would be acceptable these days with insurers)  The longest size Battery that could be squeezed in is 242mm and I did check up to this size.  Any Battery would do a job of sorts and a standard flooded lead acid could be more readily found though not offering the security of an AGM Battery in a crash.  Battery manufacturers say any replacement should be of the same type as the original fitted.  I detailed this previously in this thread 

Where there may have been some confusion is that the earlier series apparently had the 12v Battery under the bonnet, which meant there was more room for a longer one and the safety requirement was not the same as when effectively inside the cabin as it is in the later models.  I did not research what Lexus fitted in under the bonnet versions.

• Like 1

Hi all - I’m new to the forum and Lexus ownership. The dealer I bought my RX450H from replaced the 12v Battery before we picked it up... fine for the first few days, but then have had to jump it a couple of times. No error code showing and the charge on the 12v seems ok.. could it simply be that the Battery isn’t up to spec?

On 6/29/2020 at 5:03 PM, Herbie said:

I joined LOC in 2004 and think there was a proper in house search facility that Google then took over.     May be wrong.

My 2005 RX300 SEL original Panasonic Battery was still working fine when I upgraded in 2018. Given that it was probably put in the engine bay in summer 2004 it did remarkably well. Now I'm reading all these threads about 450h 12 volt batteries. Clearly they're not lasting as long ?

When I went to Milton Keynes to take my first look at the latest RX, I remember asking about the Battery. Salesman had no idea where it was !

Alan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedNev said:

Hi all - I’m new to the forum and Lexus ownership. The dealer I bought my RX450H from replaced the 12v battery before we picked it up... fine for the first few days, but then have had to jump it a couple of times. No error code showing and the charge on the 12v seems ok.. could it simply be that the battery isn’t up to spec?

It takes very little current to 'start' a hybrid. So little, in fact, that you could almost use a pack of 8 AA batteries to start the car (although that's not really advisable) so I doubt that it's the Battery not being up to spec.

By the sound of it you've not had the car long so I'd go straight back to the dealer and get them to investigate it.

Having said that, if you're new to Lexus ownership is it safe to assume that you're also new to hybrids? If so, it may be worth having a look at post number 4 in the topic below, which gives a basic idea of how hybrids work and their particular foibles regarding the 12V battery:

• Like 2

Thanks Herbie - we had a Kia Nero before the Lexus, but very different beast.. just trying to get my head around it all so very helpful.

• Like 1

Hi Neville

Because there seems to have been some overlap in time for the difference in some models, it would be helpful to learn whether your car has the 12v Battery under the bonnet or like later cars is in the boot.  Due to lack of use, particularly during lockdown, many 12v batteries that have not otherwise been charged by use, Battery charger, (preferably a smart Battery charger) or via solar panel, and have gone flat or nearly so.  In fact Lexus sent me an advisory which I posted saying to check and charge the Battery (one way or another) every couple of weeks.  If the Battery does go flat it will at least reduce its life and may cause immediate failure to accept and hold a charge.  Where the  battery is under the bonnet, these seem to have been of greater capacity and there is more room to fit a larger size.  When they went over to moving the Battery to the boot, due to size constraints of the location, a small Battery has been fitted.  As Herbie has said, a small Battery does the immediate job and the Panasonic D23 copes adequately in normal times.  However, due to not being charged due to lockdown is rather more susceptible to going flat over time sooner than the larger capacity under the bonnet ones.

I do wonder whether you did in fact get a brand new Battery rather than one that was taken from another vehicle as it was thought better than the one that was in your car. 

Batteries should be replaced with the same type as was originally fitted. The Panasonic AGM  D23 VRLA Battery in the boot is very expensive  and I have been unable to find a really compatible alternative that can be purchased in the UK.  There seems to be more scope for alternative replacements where the 12v Battery is fitted under the bonnet.

In your shoes I would get the dealer to resolve. 

I was looking through my history paperwork and came across a receipt for a new Battery fitted by lexus Cardiff £365 ,it had been recommended by lexus to replace at the time of its service .but the previous owner must have refused the receipt was dated a month later ouch lol .

From doing homework (on this forum!) and noting all the work that Barry* (posted 8 hours ago) , if the Battery fitted by the dealer isn't a Panasonic AGM  D23 VRLA, then you should hammer back to them and remind them that this is the only Battery that should have been fitted.

If it IS a Panasonic AGM  D23 VRLA they've fitted, then either it has a fault, or is an old (and not fit for purpose)

UNLESS.....

You've not used you car for 10 days or more between journeys - - in which case a Battery that's not brand new, or only moderately charged, are known to lose their charge

A non Lexus specific Dealer may argue that a more standard flooded and much cheaper lead acid Battery will do the job. it will do to a degree but it won't be a deep cycling one like the Pan D23 VRLA AGM type where also the latter importantly also offers more protection in the event of an accident as the acid is absorbed in a glass fibre mat, so less risk to passengers where the Battery is in effect in the cabin and not protected by a fire wall as when fitted under the bonnet.

Battery manufacturers, the AA and RAC among others say you should always replace a failing AGM Battery with one of the same type.  There is also a recommendation that when charging using a charger this should not be of the type that gives a constant charge.  (There is a risk that the Battery will become overcharged leading to excess gas being discharged which shortens the life of the battery).  It's best to use a smart charger with a mode for AGM batteries and one that does not exceed 5amp at any time for the 12v Lexus AGM Battery in the RX.

One last thing.  The D23 Panasonic Battery may not say AGM on it but should display VRLA or Valve Regulated Lead Acid which means it is an AGM one.

• Like 1