Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm considering buying a 2005 gs300 but the dealer told me the engine light comes on and he's sure that it's the exhaust sensor which is roughly £100 to fix and he's been too busy to sort it out.

Is this a common issue. Should I be worried about what I've been told?

Any advice is appreciated.

Also, I've read that carbon buildup isn't an issue with these in the UK? This is the reason I avoided this car in the first place but I was getting advice from an American forum.

Yes it is an issue. The car would not pass an MoT test with the light on - ergo it is unroadworthy and it would be illegal for the dealer to sell it to you until it has been fixed.

Don't worry about carbon build up - it's a minor issue in UK - just use top quality petrol and oil.

1 minute ago, johnatg said:

Yes it is an issue. The car would not pass an MoT test with the light on - ergo it is unroadworthy and it would be illegal for the dealer to sell it to you until it has been fixed.

Don't worry about carbon build up - it's a minor issue in UK - just use top quality petrol and oil.

Thanks!

Funny how it's illegal but they have lots of positive reviews on auto trader.

It's actually through your replies on old posts that I found out carbon build up isn't much of an issue so thanks for that too.

4 minutes ago, 91looking said:

Thanks!

Funny how it's illegal but they have lots of positive reviews on auto trader.

It's actually through your replies on old posts that I found out carbon build up isn't much of an issue so thanks for that too.

I would be worried, I spent a fortune getting mine "fixed" after an MoT failure, only to have it go again within a couple of weeks. 

Car's off to the knackers in December if it doesn't fix itself, which it sometimes did before.

Sad as I really like the car, but when you spend out 1500 plus you'd expect a fix.

This is a case when I should have gone to the main dealer

Live & Learn.

13 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

I would be worried, I spent a fortune getting mine "fixed" after an MoT failure, only to have it go again within a couple of weeks. 

Car's off to the knackers in December if it doesn't fix itself, which it sometimes did before.

Sad as I really like the car, but when you spend out 1500 plus you'd expect a fix.

This is a case when I should have gone to the main dealer

Live & Learn.

Thanks. I'm definitely not looking into that specific car anymore.

Wow that's a shame. I hope you St least got some good mileage out of the car before that happened.

29 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

With a lift and the correct tools changing an O2 sensor would take no more than 30 minutes generally.

8 weeks of lock down and no time to fit one.

Is this really so, if so I wish I had known that before I was parted from 1.5k, 😡

Hello Lee,  where in Northumberland are you.  I'm in Washington. I've got a 55 GS300 102,000 mls, silver/black and fresh mot if you don't get fixed up. 

23 hours ago, 39buss said:

Hello Lee,  where in Northumberland are you.  I'm in Washington. I've got a 55 GS300 102,000 mls, silver/black and fresh mot if you don't get fixed up. 

Hi, I ended up getting it but thanks for the offer. Where do you go to get your GS fixed up around here?

10 minutes ago, 91looking said:

Hi, I ended up getting it but thanks for the offer. Where do you go to get your GS fixed up around here?

So was the EML fixed?

On 7/2/2020 at 4:04 PM, IanA2 said:

So was the EML fixed?

Not yet as I need to take it to lexus as it's a transmission issue and I think only they have the system to see more information about the issue

5 minutes ago, 91looking said:

Not yet as I need to take it to lexus as it's a transmission issue and I think only they have the system to see more information about the issue

Hope it's not serious walletectomy.....