Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission oil filter

Can anybody point me in the right direction here ?

Looking for a good quality or OE transmission filter ??

Priced one with Lexus main dealer @ £ 97  seems a bit steep tp me ??

£97 sounds good to me considering that filter only needs changing at 100k me intervals or 50k miles if you're keen. Plus have you seen the size of it? 

• Like 1

Hi Vlad , the filter , or to give it Lexus' name "strainer" is located behind the transmission sump plate.

On mine (IS250) it doesn't look like a difficult job to be honest , if you have a ramp or can get the car fully off the ground like the guy in the video . I'm just on with making something to get mine off the deck and level (and safe) 

There really isn't much to these strainers and they are readily available for a fraction of the Lexus price, mine was £17 . 50 I think..the gasket was less than £4 .

According to Lexus it is a sealed for life unit , but as I said in another post , what exactly does LIFE mean?

Aisin who make the box recommend  oil and filter change at 40-50k .

And as you say, not all of the oil comes out either with the drain plug out ( bit of a poor design because it is recessed and is above the height of the actual sump)   

I don't know just yet how much comes out with the sump off , the job will be getting done soon, I'll let you know when I know Vlad.

So because all the oil doesn't come out , maybe less than half , it might be a good idea to "refresh"  the oil every 20k-40k or so??

This by removing just the drain plug , catching what comes out , measuring the amount... put the same amount ( plus half a ltr???) getting the box to the correct temp and removing the level plug .

I think this is what I will be doing anyway Vlad.

Just out of interest , I see you are in Gr Manchester ? I'm in Warrington.

I knew a Vlad that worked at Getrag , that you by any chance ??

Having recently completed a transmission fluid and filter change on my IS250C perhaps I can share my experience.

When doing a transmission fluid drain I always like to leave the car standing for 24 hours or so to enable the fluid to drain down into the transmission pan.

After first draining and then removing the pan, followed by the filter removal, I managed to get roughly 3.2 litres of fluid out of the transmission. I followed this with two further drain only sequences, again leaving the car stand for a day or so between drains, and managed in total to get 7 litres of new fluid into the trans.

I sourced the filter, gasket and crush washers  -  all original Toyota items  -  through MegaZip ( https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/lexus-is-42401/gse20-57089/gse20r-aktlhw-9261920 ). I used the Toyota WS fluid from my local dealer.

My car is only at 50K miles but is 11years old so I figured it was due.

Hope this may be helpfull.

Dec.

• Like 2

Hi Zuke. I've not worked at Getrag. I'm in Rochdale now well 2.5 yrs. When you do your trans fluid job may I suggest you put a 250ml bottle of ZX1. Ive been using that for 30 yrs + and before I took my 250 home I put a bottle in the engine oil. Ill probably do a trans fluid job on mine and will definitely put it in mine. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The car is going in tomorrow for the oil and filter change in the box.

One thing I'm not sure of , the oil level on refill , is is with the engine running or not .

Is the level plug replaced when the oil begins to "glug" .

Alan

From what I've seen on the tube the engine runs to temperature well the gearbox and then the level is checked when warm/hot. Who's doing the job for you and how much?

• Thanks 1

Yes the level is checked with the engine idling in Park.

The lever should be moved through all the gear settings prior to putting it in Park and checking the level.

The fluid temperature should be within the range 46 to 56 degrees Centigrade.

Wait untill the fluid flows to a trickle to refit the plug using a new crush washer.

Dec.

Thanks for that Declan....that was my understanding but best find out for sure ! 

Vlad , it is being done at The Hinds Head Garage in Chorley , cost £100 .

• 4 weeks later...

Well my car is now in Stockport Lexus for a MOT and intermediate service but with the addition of trans oil change. When I booked the car in and chatted with the guy he had to ask someone. He came back with a price of £20. Yes 20 quid. I said surely not but I booked it. So this evening when at Stockport the guy behind the screen told me its a sealed for life box, as written on the job sheet. I stated its not and that Aisin recommended 50k oil changes. He phoned a tech guy who came back with yes we can do it. I.5hrs and £30 for the oil. I questioned the price of the oil and he confirmed 30 quid for 5 litres. £216 all in to do the oil change.  Well I'll see tomorrow what was done.

I'm in a UX250h as a loan car. 2.0 litre tho. By eck it shifts lol

55 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well my car is now in Stockport Lexus for a MOT and intermediate service but with the addition of trans oil change. When I booked the car in and chatted with the guy he had to ask someone. He came back with a price of £20. Yes 20 quid. I said surely not but I booked it. So this evening when at Stockport the guy behind the screen told me its a sealed for life box, as written on the job sheet. I stated its not and that Aisin recommended 50k oil changes. He phoned a tech guy who came back with yes we can do it. I.5hrs and £30 for the oil. I questioned the price of the oil and he confirmed 30 quid for 5 litres. £216 all in to do the oil change.  Well I'll see tomorrow what was done.

I'm in a UX250h as a loan car. 2.0 litre tho. By eck it shifts lol

You only change 1/5 of the oil, not much help.

Well I had to laugh. For what I wanted and what I got were worlds apart. I asked for a Full drain. They drained 1.4 litres. Labour charge was 3/4 of the bill for that which i think was down to £186. 

I'll be phoning Chorley next week to get a quote.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links