Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone. Recently I got a IS250 07 reg. A great car but it has some issues. I'm getting an intermittent passenger side headlight issue. It randomly cuts out when driving. I have already ordered some D4S bulbs and hopefully that will cure it. Another issue is a reverse camera quality. It seems very blurry. I tried cleaning the lense but it didn't improve it. Is it possible to buy a replacement? If so, could anyone guide me? I'm new to Lexuses. Thank you!

Welcome.

The bulb issue has been discussed just recently here: 

It's most likely a dying bulb causing the ballast to cut power to the bulb. The d4s bulb you ordered, is it a good brand like osram or philips? Philips are the genuine OEM choice and osram make good bulbs too. All other brands I do not trust. You can read on the link above.

Regarding the camera, yes the picture quality does over time seem to get washed out. I have a 2006 and the picture isn't as sharp as it used to be but it isn't bad by any means. At some point I will try camera lens polish on it and if that doesn't work I will probably also change it. Buying brand new would not be worth it and second hand I wouldn't buy from any car less than 2010 because the lens will probably be similar. Ideally a 2011/12 car. Replacing the camera isn't that difficult. You remove the carpet lining inside the boot. After that if I remember correctly you have to remove screws/bolts to remove the lower outer panel which then gives clear access to the camera. Hope that helps

13 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

If it is not the bulb then could be a ballast, known for getting wet. Underside of head light, So bumper off.

Very unlikely to be ballast. These ballasts are well sealed. I've worked on many lexus models with these symptoms and it's always been bulbs. But having a good reputable brand is essential otherwise the bulbs continue to get rejected by the ballast in no time.

Thanks for all the replies. I will most likely go with Osram at about £40 each. Also I've got another question. I have power folding mirrors and keyless entry. Is there another way that the mirrors could fold when I lock the car? Or do I have to code it? Thank you! 

I read online that it could be 3 things, bulbs, ballast or a fuse. I'll get new bulbs and see if it cures it. Is there anything to look out for when changing them? Should I unhook the Battery? Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Matty91 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I will most likely go with Osram at about £40 each. Also I've got another question. I have power folding mirrors and keyless entry. Is there another way that the mirrors could fold when I lock the car? Or do I have to code it? Thank you! 

I read online that it could be 3 things, bulbs, ballast or a fuse. I'll get new bulbs and see if it cures it. Is there anything to look out for when changing them? Should I unhook the battery? Thank you!

No problem. Regarding power folding mirrors see my blog post here about it: https://is-250.blogspot.com/2020/01/auto-folding-mirrors-on-lock-and-unlock.html

It's not a simple thing like enabling it. The lexus power cable to the mirror fold motor is ACC switched so means it can't normally be operated when car is off. 

Regarding the bulb, change the bulb first. No you don't need to disconnect the Battery. Just make sure car is off and lights are off ofcourse. Like I said before it's most likely to be ballast. 

12 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

No problem. Regarding power folding mirrors see my blog post here about it: https://is-250.blogspot.com/2020/01/auto-folding-mirrors-on-lock-and-unlock.html

It's not a simple thing like enabling it. The lexus power cable to the mirror fold motor is ACC switched so means it can't normally be operated when car is off. 

Regarding the bulb, change the bulb first. No you don't need to disconnect the battery. Just make sure car is off and lights are off ofcourse. Like I said before it's most likely to be ballast. 

I'll just have to press the button to fold so not a biggie. Do you know if they fold out when you reach a certain speed? Thanks

7 minutes ago, Matty91 said:

I'll just have to press the button to fold so not a biggie. Do you know if they fold out when you reach a certain speed? Thanks

No they don't, it's just a simple mirror fold switch that switches the power polarity. No magic 😀

There is/was an aftermarket module called a PO40 that you could fit inside the drivers door panel and connect to all the required OEM wires to enable ‘fold on locking’ and vice-versa. Alas the original maker ( a Australian guy) is no longer doing them but you may be able to find an  Asian clone.

search this forum for ‘PO40’ for more info.

The PO40 was made some time back, and i always found it to be way too expensive for what it does. I was going to make my own but then nowadays the asian market has so many universal systems that all work the same way. I bought mine for £6.49 so works out cheaper than making my own. These kits are now going for about £10-£12 because of recent lockdown restrictions the prices have gone up a little. Video of my set up  below. I've got a full install guide on my blog. I've installed this for a few people too and for those who are far away they were able to take my install guide to a mod shop that followed my guide and did the mod for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matty91 said:

Hello everyone. Recently I got a IS250 07 reg. A great car but it has some issues. I'm getting an intermittent passenger side headlight issue. It randomly cuts out when driving. I have already ordered some D4S bulbs and hopefully that will cure it. Another issue is a reverse camera quality. It seems very blurry. I tried cleaning the lense but it didn't improve it. Is it possible to buy a replacement? If so, could anyone guide me? I'm new to Lexuses. Thank you!

eBay item number:
eBay £22  number 254626585869
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

1 hour ago, ahmed24 said:

The PO40 was made some time back, and i always found it to be way too expensive for what it does. I was going to make my own but then nowadays the asian market has so many universal systems that all work the same way. I bought mine for £6.49 so works out cheaper than making my own. These kits are now going for about £10-£12 because of recent lockdown restrictions the prices have gone up a little. Video of my set up  below. I've got a full install guide on my blog. I've installed this for a few people too and for those who are far away they were able to take my install guide to a mod shop that followed my guide and did the mod for them.

Oh nice. I might give it a go later on. I need to sort out the headlight issue first so that's my priority. If it is a ballast issue I've seen some on eBay for £35, or would be a wiser move to get a used genuine?

1 hour ago, markeyszoo said:
eBay item number:
ebay £22  number 254626585869

Having a closer look it looks as hazy as mine. I might try and polish the lens with a metal polish or something

30 minutes ago, Matty91 said:

Having a closer look it looks as hazy as mine. I might try and polish the lens with a metal polish or something

or 

eBay item number:

1 hour ago, Matty91 said:

Oh nice. I might give it a go later on. I need to sort out the headlight issue first so that's my priority. If it is a ballast issue I've seen some on eBay for £35, or would be a wiser move to get a used genuine?

As already stated it will almost certainly be the bulb. If in doubt swap the bulbs over and if the bad bulb is still bad after swapping and the good bulb remains good, you know its the bulbs.

I will let you guys know after a install new bulbs. Another thing. I bought the car with slightly damaged front lip (splitter). What's the best way to fix it? Can you buy another lip that goes over it? Thank you

IMG_20200701_095233.jpg

5 minutes ago, Matty91 said:

I will let you guys know after a install new bulbs. Another thing. I bought the car with slightly damaged front lip (splitter). What's the best way to fix it? Can you buy another lip that goes over it? Thank you

IMG_20200701_095233.jpg

Just get yourself a replacement from a breakers yard or take the oppertunity to install an aftermarket splitter.

2 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

Just get yourself a replacement from a breakers yard or take the oppertunity to install an aftermarket splitter.

Does the bottom part clip off from the bumper? I might just take it off till new one arrives.         Would the one in the picture fit?Screenshot_20200701_192910_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.963175b2f24f2f6fc71fc788ea77e8db.jpg

That's for 2006 to 2008. so as long as your car is that then yes should fit. It's aftermarket so keep in mind fitment might not always be perfect. I'm not 100% as i've never installed these but i believe these kits just go over the existing splitter. 

57 minutes ago, ahmed24 said:

That's for 2006 to 2008. so as long as your car is that then yes should fit. It's aftermarket so keep in mind fitment might not always be perfect. I'm not 100% as i've never installed these but i believe these kits just go over the existing splitter. 

Does the bottom part come off from the bumper itself? If so I could just get a replacement from breakers, also where do I find my paint code? Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Matty91 said:

Does the bottom part come off from the bumper itself? If so I could just get a replacement from breakers, also where do I find my paint code? Thanks!

Yes it does come off, but finding one in good condition at the breakers might be hard. Paint code is on the sticker when you open the passengers door I believe. Looks like the picture below, in the exampe below the paint code is 212 and on the second line the A/TM is the transmission code A960E:

spacer.png

Hey. It looks like my new bulbs have fixed the issue. A question about things to look at regarding reliability. The last owner said the water pump was done 3 years ago at about 70k. The car is at 94k, should I worry about it? I can't here any rumbling and there are no leaks. The engine has a quiet tick to it and nothint from the belt area. Also, sometimes I get a high idle for the first 30 seconds, about 1400rpms then dies down to 1000rpm and finally to about 700rpm. Is this normal? Should I get it carbon cleaned just to be safe? Thanks for all the input!

10 hours ago, Matty91 said:

Hey. It looks like my new bulbs have fixed the issue. A question about things to look at regarding reliability. The last owner said the water pump was done 3 years ago at about 70k. The car is at 94k, should I worry about it? I can't here any rumbling and there are no leaks. The engine has a quiet tick to it and nothint from the belt area. Also, sometimes I get a high idle for the first 30 seconds, about 1400rpms then dies down to 1000rpm and finally to about 700rpm. Is this normal? Should I get it carbon cleaned just to be safe? Thanks for all the input!

Generally its accepted wisdom that water pumps re good for around 60k miles so nowhere near where you should be concerned.

It's normal to have a high idle for the first 30 secs or so and mine also ticks slightly so don't think you have anything to worry about.

Glad to hear the headlight issue is sorted now it's time just to enjoy the car and stop worrying

8 hours ago, Tyre Tread said:

Generally its accepted wisdom that water pumps re good for around 60k miles so nowhere near where you should be concerned.

It's normal to have a high idle for the first 30 secs or so and mine also ticks slightly so don't think you have anything to worry about.

Glad to hear the headlight issue is sorted now it's time just to enjoy the car and stop worrying

Hey. I have had nothing but worries with my previous car, E46 M54 engine. It's spent more time with the hood open than on the roads. Will take some time to get used not checking temperature or engine lights not popping up hah.

Thank you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matty91 said:

Hey. I have had nothing but worries with my previous car, E46 M54 engine. It's spent more time with the hood open than on the roads. Will take some time to get used not checking temperature or engine lights not popping up hah.

Thank you!

Just remember that you're now living with Japanese reliability and not German ban counter LED money making reliability hype.

I've owned 30 or so cars in my life from Austin Allegros to Jag XF's, Rover P5b and TVR Chimaera plus Audi A4, Skoda Superb estate and Honda Accord and the Japanese cars were always the most reliable.

Loving my IS250 after 3 years and 45K miles (over 40K in the first 2 years and less than 3 in the last 12 months) I've had to replace one O2 sensor, headlight bulbs, water pump and Battery (but in fairness it was the original Battery and 12 months old and most annoyingly it didn't need replacing - It was the O2 sensor at fault)