Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear-ended in Copenhagen

I attach a photo of a crack in the lower panel of my boot-lid.  This is the result of my being rear-ended by a van at a zebra crossing in Copenhagen after I chose

not to mow down a lady with a pram whose peripheral vision was arguably not improved by her hijab.   I thought I'd post the photo to show that the panel is plastic

like the bumper and not, as I previously thought, metal like the rest of the boot-lid.   I'm not sure if cracked plastic is preferable to crumpled metal, but my first

reaction was to think the damage could have been a lot worse.  Only the panel in question needs replacing, with visible damage to the bumper being limited to

the paintwork.

IMG_0398.thumb.jpg.d4e77bd1d538056ea4dc709dff394161.jpg

• Sad 1

What a shame, sorry to read this but hopefully a simple repair. Just hope there's nothing untoward lurking behind the visible damage to the bumper, crumple boxes etc..

I also assumed the boot would be metal, interesting..

Please keep us updated how things work out.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the plastic panel is a skin over the metal boot lid, to make it easier (cheaper) to accommodate the various regional designs of registration plate?

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I'm guessing the plastic panel is a skin over the metal boot lid...

You’re probably right insofar as the crack doesn’t go all the way through to the inside of the boot-lid.  More information to come when I get home and speak to my (and my insurance company’s) trusty body shop.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

After driving with a cracked boot-lid and a dented and pockmarked bumper for five months during which I averted my gaze every time I approached 

it from the rear, I have now had my RC back looking like new from a week in the body shop.  In fact it felt as though I was taking delivery of  a whole

new car.  Five months was what it took for my claim to be processed by insurance companies in two countries and their agents.  That this was

supposedly quite quick for this sort of claim was no consolation, and another month would have been added the process  if my dealer had not agreed

to order all the parts before the claim was formally settled.  Anyway, the episode is now no more than a bad memory.

For the record, the damage amounted to €3400 incl. VAT, about two-thirds of which was represented by a completely new boot-lid and bumper and the

remainder by paintwork and ancillary parts.

• Like 1

Glad it's all sorted.

As an aside, bought a magnetic GB plate prior to going on the Eurotunnel. Went to apply at the services, and guess what!  Luckily it fitted above, on the narrow panel adjacent to the central L badge.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links