Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery drain - SC430

Marco SC430

Familiar topic I know - just after some updated advice. Having just replaced a Halfords Battery which lasted a year (my SC430 is driven intermittently and not during the winter) - the Battery drain problem etc etc  - I've just fitted a new Yuasa YBX5096 12V 80Ah 740A Silver High Performance Battery which I got a great deal on from Tanya (good customer service as well) - to avoid a repeat, when the car is not being used (it's in a garage so solar charger no good) is it better to connect to a trickle charger which means having the bonnet open and not being able to fully cover the car or simply disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect when I want to use the car again. I've got Ring 12A Smart Charger so I could connect up in maintenance mode but as I say, means leaving the bonnet up. Thank you in advance for info.

Must be possible to route the charger wires or main lead up from under the car?

Bonnet and boot seals tend to be quite compliant I managed to easily close the boot on my CLS with the mains lead trailing out.

• 1 year later...

Sorry I'm a year late-just seen this item!

I have a 2008 SC430-exactly the same issues-this vehicle is one of the world's notorious parasitic Battery drainers. I bought an AGM Battery which was marginally better at holding a charge, but have to resort to having two solar panels on my car port roof feeding the thing-even so, I'm lucky if I get more than 2 weeks of charge after a decent run before having to connect up the Ring charger on the Maintenance mode.  Like you I don't use the car regularly-this is the core of our problems.

In the winter I use the Ring on Maintenance mode to keep the Battery healthy (I don't normally use the car for about 4 months in the winter).

However, for what it's worth, one winter I just disconnected the Battery. I'd read all those doom-laden reports of everything being lost, but, when I reconnected, there were no problems at all-apart from having to set up the (only) 3 radio channels I use; I've never programmed the seat settings anyway, and don't recall any other problems.

Don't waste any money having any analyses done; Lexus will also fob you off; there's a wealth of info. on the USA sites about this; but at the end of the day just accept that this is a quirk of this otherwise magnificent car. And BTW there are plenty of other makes with the same issues.

Good luck!