Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surfboard storage RX450h - roof rack recommends?

Hi all

New proud owner of a 2010 RX450h SE-L Premier (in Mesa Red, pickup next week - can't wait...) 

Looking for any suggestions on transporting surfboards without messing up the interior or ruining the roof/look of the car.  I used Thule aerobars with surfboard rests on my old Prius - however the feet left marks and it looked a little clunky. Would anyone recommend Lexus' own system over Thule for the 450h?  The car does not currently have rails - would I need to fit these and the crossbars, or just the latter?  As far as I can see from the Lexus site there are options for ski/snowboard carriers but not surfboards- I guess I could use the Thule feet on the Lexus bars but it seems an inelegant solution for such a lovely car. 

There's a sunroof, but presumably the bars/rails would lift boards out of the way of it?

In the Prius I could fold down seats and chuck a wet, waxy board in without caring - want to treat the Lexus with a bit more respect...

Any advice much appreciated. 

thanks

Richard  

There is a demand for the used Lexus side rails which complete the look of the car in the eyes of some.  They also provide the basis for the Lexus cross rails.  These are very easy to fit.  I was unable to to get used ones so purchased at a discounted price from 'Lexus Direct', (a Lexus dealer in Swindon) who posted mine to me.

• Like 1

That's a cheaper way of doing it.  If you bought these and left them in place permanantly you would get a little more wind noise.  You would have  to check what is involved and the ease of fitting and removing if these are not left in place permanantly.  My Lexux side rails came with the longer bolts and alternative fittings needed and these are kept permanently in place.  I will fit the Lexus cross rails as and when required as this is an easier and better solution in my opinion.  I am sure I have seen Thurle and possibly other after market alternatives but they don't look as good.  If you keep the original parts and the next buyer doen't want rails/crossbars, you will find a buyer easily, especially for the side rails.  There have been at least 3 people including myself looking for some in the last year or so just on this forum.  My car is a 2015 RX450h but the accompanying leaflet for the side rails shows 2008- coverning upto and including the 3rd Generation.

• Like 1

Thanks Barry.  I've asked the dealer to look into fitting rails and crossbars - more expensive but definitely more elegant solution.  If that can't happen may have to live with the roofrack they've suggested for now as otherwise the boards will have to be jammed in the car - and I don't think my wife would appreciate wax on the ivory seats.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links