Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had the Mk4 fail MOT on rear shock leaking.  Problem is the garage cannot supply LS parts.only OEM (not sure what brand)

Question: Is using non-Lexus shocks a good idea (£108 ea.) versus getting them from Lexus Parts Direct (£194 ea.)

I had new Lexus shocks fitted on front last year, but only coz the team at Osaka said non LS shocks can create a rough ride.

Not sure what my local MOT garage is going to use, but any comments appreciated.

Actually decided to go with Lexus Parts Direct, will have to wait a week for the shocks, but for the sake of an extra £180 (and not needing the car for a couple of weeks), may as well go OEM.

That will be one more job done until the next biggie (cam belt on next 10K miles) 

• Like 2

Using non OEM shocks may alter the ride for the better or worse. Any car fitted with non adjustable shocks is set up as a compromise, and may not be the ideal for your particular driving style or the type of terrain you drive on.
Buying aftermarket shocks should give a similar ride to the OEM because they should  be set to have the same characteristics as OEM. Buying adjustable shocks "if available" would give you the choice of setting the ride to your liking.
Any car manufacturer is going to say only use our products, but they may not be the best option both on ride quality, cost, and reliability.

John.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Actually decided to go with Lexus Parts Direct, will have to wait a week for the shocks, but for the sake of an extra £180 (and not needing the car for a couple of weeks), may as well go OEM.

That will be one more job done until the next biggie (cam belt on next 10K miles) 

I think you made a wise choice.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I think you made a wise choice.  

I think so as well, I found some old postings where some Lexus owners had problems with cheaper end of non-OEM shocks, and on the way back from garage last night realised that the LS is worth doing it 'right' as the ride in my 20 year old car was better than my wife's 2 year old Mazda 2 over the potholes that are joined up by small bits of road on the A46 .

Just need to wait a week before Lexus Parts Direct can get them to me and off back the my local indi to have them fitted.

4 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I think so as well, I found some old postings where some Lexus owners had problems with cheaper end of non-OEM shocks, and on the way back from garage last night realised that the LS is worth doing it 'right' as the ride in my 20 year old car was better than my wife's 2 year old Mazda 2 over the potholes that are joined up by small bits of road on the A46 .

Just need to wait a week before Lexus Parts Direct can get them to me and off back the my local indi to have them fitted.

When I replaced my four air shocks I didn't realise I could get genuine ones for just another £400 for the lot, by then I'd already paid for the Arnott ones.  Not that they feel any different but genuine would have been nice.  Lexus Parts Direct offered a good deal if I bought four, about 25% less than Lexus Hedge End.