Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Testing the hybrid system

I've had my IS330h for just over a year now and am well pleased with it. I've averaged in the high 40s (much of it slow around our country lanes) but with a best of 58.5 on a long run.  Can't be bad - plus the low tax.

I read somewhere of a test of the hybrid system which Lexus carry out for a fixed price (£58?)  I have no record of whether, and if so when, this has ever been done on my car (registered 2013), and would welcome advice on having it done, how often, and so on.  What are the symptoms that it might be necessary?  Or is it just something one should have done every few years just in case...?

Hi Anthony

if you get your car serviced at your local lexus service centre the hybrid check

is included in the service price and your hybrid Battery warranty is then extended

for an extra year, if you have your car serviced at a non lexus centre you can still

have the hybrid check for the price of £58.

• Like 2

The test is there to purely to extend the warranty on the hybrid Battery for 12 months, so that is how often it is intended to be done. There is no predictive maintenance done.

It was really designed to reassure owners/potential owners that the hybrid Battery isn't something to worry about as scare stories in the press about new batteries costing thousands of pounds could have affected used car values.

If you have a problem with your hybrid system you will know about it by warning lights - a hybrid health check isn't going to stop that happening.

Also be aware that the warranty only covers the hybrid Battery. Not the inverter, transmission, hybrid cooling system, electric motors etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The test is there to purely to extend the warranty on the hybrid battery for 12 months, so that is how often it is intended to be done. There is no predictive maintenance done.

It was really designed to reassure owners/potential owners that the hybrid battery isn't something to worry about as scare stories in the press about new batteries costing thousands of pounds could have affected used car values.

If you have a problem with your hybrid system you will know about it by warning lights - a hybrid health check isn't going to stop that happening.

Also be aware that the warranty only covers the hybrid battery. Not the inverter, transmission, hybrid cooling system, electric motors etc.

But, the items mentioned in your last sentence Colin are covered by the Lexus Extended Warranty, where one is in existence ?

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

But, the items mentioned in your last sentence Colin are covered by the Lexus Extended Warranty, where one is in existence ?

Yes, as is the hybrid Battery. But if you have an extended warranty then this whole conversation is moot as you have to get your vehicle serviced at least once a year at a Lexus dealership under the terms of the warranty and therefore you are getting the hybrid health check done anyway.

• Like 1

It should be pointed out that the extended Battery guarantee is for up to 10,000 miles or one year which ever comes first, but there is no limit on how many times a year the test can be done. The scheme is set to run until the cars 15 birthday, and can be carried out for the first time at any time in the 15 years. So if you miss a year or more it does not matter.

John. 

Thanks for all these points. In fact I do not have any warranty agreement - I bought the car second hand a year ago.  My nearest Lexus dealership is Swindon, 36 miles away, so not a trip I choose to do more often than I have to.  My local garage does a perfectly good MOT and service when I need them.   The hybrid test would thus be a one-off, although if they offered a warranty deal as part of the package I'd take (subject to cost.) 

9 minutes ago, Anthony B said:

Thanks for all these points. In fact I do not have any warranty agreement - I bought the car second hand a year ago.  My nearest Lexus dealership is Swindon, 36 miles away, so not a trip I choose to do more often than I have to.  My local garage does a perfectly good MOT and service when I need them.   The hybrid test would thus be a one-off, although if they offered a warranty deal as part of the package I'd take (subject to cost.) 

Register your car on the Lexus.co.uk website under Owners, then My Lexus https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/ and you should be able to see your car`s service and hybrid Battery health check history, Anthony.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links