Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes I'd like to know that. I didn't know diff oil needed to be changed every 25k. Easy enough job me thinks.

Yes in theory! But just make sure you can undo and remove the Fill plug Before you remove the Drain plug! Otherwise you could be stuck not being able to refill!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Can't be every 25k considering the vehicle is only serviced at 10k intervals.

For 'Business owners' the service interval is 12.5K miles and the diff oil change is recommended at Full service - 25K miles.

For private owners, the service interval is as you say 10K miles and the full service, including diff oil change, at 20K.

But even I, a stickler for frequent servicing/oil changes think that is a bit excessive!

18 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes I'd like to know that. I didn't know diff oil needed to be changed every 25k. Easy enough job me thinks.

Very easy job. Considering how easy the job is, doing it every 25-30k is just a safer option i guess. Car just has to be level. Always remove the refilling bolt before removing the drain bolt. This way just incase you are not to be able to open the re-fill bolt then at least you are not stuck with an empty diff. Fluid needs to be pumped in with something like a fluid transfer syringe. Remember to change washer on the drain plug. The drain plug is also a magnet that holds any metal particles from wear. Inspect this to make sure no excessive metal particles are on it. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vectron said:

Had diff oil change and filters £69.

Which filters? from what I recall, there is no servicing filter on the diff. Just 1.2L of 75w85 gear oil and a new washer for the drain plug. The gear oil is sold in 1L bottles so you most probably will be charged for 2L.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:41 PM, vectron said:

Had diff oil change and filters £69.

I was quoted by Lexus Glasgow for diff oil change (only) is £103.20 and this is with 10% discount included! 

What filters did you change?

On 7/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, vectron said:

They placed a new washer not a filter and advised 25k to change. Very pleased with the cost .

I see it now, so no filters, just a washer. Even though, if it was £69 I would go for it but more than a £100 for this job I think this is a bit much.

its a straight forward DIY job, especially if you have good ramps ... however, I made a bit of a mess of my driveway last time as my pump method wasn't good enough... for £69 could have saved me the weeks of 'discussion' with my wife about the stain on driveway!

• Haha 1