Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rx300 2004 transmission question

I know its a different vehicle but when i drive my xc70 and swap to manual select it shows what gear i came into but my lexus only shows 4th. regardless of position even if stopped. so my  auto select says 4 gears but my manual select shows 5 gears. i know i have probably confused you but am trying to found out if my auto is 4 and overdrive.

When you switch to manual it automatically selects 4th if you push the lever to minus it will go down one gear minus again to second. If you push it to plus it goes the other way there are 5 in total.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, Richard Fixter said:

When you switch to manual it automatically selects 4th if you push the lever to minus it will go down one gear minus again to second. If you push it to plus it goes the other way there are 5 in total.

Thank much appreciated.

• Like 1

Also the number it shows doesn't actually mean the currently selected gear, it's a limit. If it says 4 then it won't go above 4th gear (unless you hit the redline). By default the limit is 4th, this is so that if you're travelling up a hill you can pop it over into S mode and keep it in 4th to help it up the hill and not have it shifting up and down a lot. Same for descending steep hills if you want more engine braking.

• Like 2