Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice needed - used is250 or 220d?

Hi all

New to the UK but not Lexus so looking for some guidance on buying a used IS and how MOT / roadworthy works

Location would be Ealing / Action area of greater London with offstreet parking but no garage

We are two adults and one six-yr old girl relocating to the UK after a 13 yr hiatus

How we would use the car
1) School runs
2) Grocery / mall shops - not too far from Westfields I think
3) Occasional weekend getaway - motorway jaunts

I am cross-shopping a used Honda Accord 2008-12 vintage for reference - what else would you suggest I look at?

What I know so far
1) road tax driven by CO2 emissions - is there a sweet spot in the IS lineup or yr where road tax gets significantly better?
2) roadworthy / MOT testing - on the these older Lexus - what are the trouble spots?  I am guessing rust....

Questions
1) How is the driveability of the 2.2d in stop-n-go?  Some diesels can be quite lurchy
2) I am coming from a GS350 and a country with wider roads - My feeling is that the GS would be too big / long for greater London - am I off here?
3) I am assuming that a car around London simply takes a beating over time - with this mind, I was shopping 2-3k GBP (beater), 5-6k (mid-range) and 10k (something like a used E-class or GS or Kia Sportage to give a sense) - given MOT requirements, is there a good way to think about this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance!

IS250 auto over any Lexus diesel especially for short, stop start journeys.  Your diesel will get killed by journeys such as those.  DPF will get blocked in double quick time.

What about a rX400h or a CT20foh..both hybrids an bullet proof...the RX 400h especially.  Or maybe even a Toyota Prius.....CT200h is just a tarted up Prius.

I have an IS250 and it's great but it's best as a long distance cruiser.  The RX400h being hybrid is probably the best of both worlds.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1

All the above advice is good, especially about avoiding a Lexus diesel, we read endless tales of woe. My neighbours have a Toyota Auris, a great car according to them.  And  as mentioned above the Prius, very popular in London. Although if you went for a Prius or Lexus RXh you may we'll find your catalytic converter stolen before long!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links