Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Aygo - Retro-fitting a reversing camera?

PCM

Dear all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to retro-fit a standard reversing cameras to the older model Toyota Aygo?

Our daughter has an Aygo...

Regards.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Dear all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to retro-fit a standard reversing cameras to the older model Toyota Aygo?

Our daughter has an Aygo...

Regards.

I have been considering at doing just that on my wife's Aygo. When you say a standard camera do you mean the later Toyota version with sat nav? or an after market version? 
I do not see any problem with an aftermarket system, and will look into this.

John.

• Like 1

Just now, Britprius said:

I have been considering at doing just that on my wife's Aygo. When you say a standard camera do you mean the later Toyota version with sat nav? or an after market version? 
I do not see any problem with an aftermarket system, and will look into this.

John.

Hello,

Just thinking of a basic but reliable, 'after-market'

Piers. 

You can get wireless cameras that display on a rear view mirror. Saves running a cable from camera to dashboard. No idea how good they are though - e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Reverse-Waterproof-Reversing-Installation-T1400W-U/dp/B072KR8GMB?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

If you want to replace the existing stereo then you can put in something more modern that supports apple CarPlay or Android Auto, many of these headunits accept a reversing camera input. e.g.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax1000

along with a reversing camera:

https://www.halfords.com/technology/parking-sensors/echomaster-reversing-camera-with-dynamic-parking-lines-825346.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCM said:

Hello,

Just thinking of a basic but reliable, 'after-market'

Piers. 

I have an after market wireless system fitted on the rear of my caravan. The monitor is a clip on internal mirror in my GS450H. It works reasonably well but it is prone to interference the picture breaking up on occasions. 
This same system can be wired rather than using the transmitter/receiver, and when used in this mode works very well. Make sure the monitor you buy either gives or can be switched to give a mirror image.
The Aygo is such a short car with no fire walls to get the wiring through that a wired system is definitely what I will use. Chosing the monitor size is possibly the most difficult part of the exorcise. I think the best position would be in the small centre storage hole in the top of the dash. The 12 volt feed for the monitor, and the camera can be picked up directly from the reversing lights. 
Choosing a suitable position for the camera is more difficult than at first it seems. A camera fitted on the outside rear of the car will get it's lens dirty very quickly because of the very flat rear of the car. My suggestion would be to fit it inside the tailgate glass somewhere inside the wiper arc using the type of bonding pads used for fitting rear view mirrors to the windscreen.

John.

• Like 2

I've fitted two aftermarket reversing cameras, one to my MK4 LS400 and one (with great difficulty) to my first LS430, the difficulty was trying to find a way from the boot to the cabin.  Apart from that, and on most cars, it's really easy.  About £20 for the kit, and the images are excellent.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I've fitted two aftermarket reversing cameras, one to my MK4 LS400 and one (with great difficulty) to my first LS430, the difficulty was trying to find a way from the boot to the cabin.  Apart from that, and on most cars, it's really easy.  About £20 for the kit, and the images are excellent.

What ones did you purchase?

9 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

What ones did you purchase?

For some reason I can't download links but if you look on eBay they're now £15 with a 4.3" screen.

• Like 2

I am thinking of fitting a reversing camera to my Toyota Aygo .......any recommendations as to the makes models, and fitting position...maybe not the near side though 😀😀😀

650A2D6C-8790-4E6B-AF07-E2D33D0758AB.jpeg

• Sad 1