Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Tyre Ware

Ive just changed my oil AND filter while is was on The štandu i took off The wheels AND nožice The rear have Ware on the inside they have only Done 23000 miles is This normal Thanks just ordered 2 new rears 

10 minutes ago, Is300hMGK said:

Ive just changed my oil AND filter while is was on The štandu i took off The wheels AND nožice The rear have Ware on the inside they have only Done 23000 miles is This normal Thanks just ordered 2 new rears 

It can be corrected by adjusting the toe angle however you need to find somewhere that really knows what they are doing. e.g. wheels in motion in Buckinghamshire.

• Like 1

I tend to get between 25-30,000 miles out of a set of tyres. However I rotate them after about 15000 miles.

If I don't rotate them I am down to 20-25,000 and I found the fronts wear faster than the rears

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use Wheel Power in Brockley (depends on where you are in London but anywhere with Hunter Laser alignment is what you want). I got mine done the week after I bought the car because the Lexus dealership didn’t check or correct alignment prior to putting the car up for sale. Given the design of the suspension and fixed castors, doesn’t appear you can completely avoid the wear but you can minimise it with at least annual alignments.

https://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/18333-lexus-is-300h-rear-tyre-wear/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

I tend to get between 25-30,000 miles out of a set of tyres. However I rotate them after about 15000 miles.

If I don't rotate them I am down to 20-25,000 and I found the fronts wear faster than the rears

How do you do this Jay, with the tyres being different sizes on the front when compared to the rear?

How do you do this Jay, with the tyres being different sizes on the front when compared to the rear?

Mine aren't, mine is the same size all round

• Like 1

i taking my car to get 4 wheel alignment checked and adjusted in the morning,

i know kwikfit is hated by a lot , but the guys at my local centre are ok

its the last one from my geocare plan

the geocare plan cost £130 this includes :-

8 x check and adjustments of the alignment of the 4 wheels

in a 2yr period with no extra costs

so i think this is really good value for money

9 hours ago, 200h said:

i taking my car to get 4 wheel alignment checked and adjusted in the morning,

i know kwikfit is hated by a lot , but the guys at my local centre are ok

its the last one from my geocare plan

the geocare plan cost £130 this includes :-

8 x check and adjustments of the alignment of the 4 wheels

in a 2yr period with no extra costs

so i think this is really good value for money

Seems to have been a good deal Mark.

Which is your local Kwikfit ?

We had tyre wear on the inner edges of our tyres on a previous car. Had it tracked and all was within tolerance. 

I then read an article regarding speed humps (The ones where they blob about a 4ft square lump of raised tarmac on the road). It was said that straggling these wears the inner edges of tyres down as all the weight of the car is on the inner edge of the tyres as you drive over the centre of the humps.

As we used to drive over about 8 every day to and from work, this probably explained the wear on the inner edges. This just may be an explanation of your wear if tracking proves it is okay.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maxz said:

I use Wheel Power in Brockley (depends on where you are in London but anywhere with Hunter Laser alignment is what you want).

You don't necessarily just want to have wheels the aligned to standard spec - which is why you need someone who knows what they are doing. Lexus have been known to get it wrong before, especially with the series I IS200 where Tony at WIM came up with corrected settings which Lexus GB then adopted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:19 AM, Grumps said:

We had tyre wear on the inner edges of our tyres on a previous car. Had it tracked and all was within tolerance. 

I then read an article regarding speed humps (The ones where they blob about a 4ft square lump of raised tarmac on the road). It was said that straggling these wears the inner edges of tyres down as all the weight of the car is on the inner edge of the tyres as you drive over the centre of the humps.

As we used to drive over about 8 every day to and from work, this probably explained the wear on the inner edges. This just may be an explanation of your wear if tracking proves it is okay.

Really interesting and a likely cause! So you are damned either way with these humps, either excessive inner tyre wear, or if you go over them possible earlier wear/failure of shocks and springs. I guess as speed is at the discretion of the driver, not many other ways to control those who speed in residential areas though...