Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS250 1200 mile+ trip London to Isle of Skye RTN

Just had my first proper long distance trip in the 2012 GS250. Totally legal as 'support bubbles' became legitimate in Scotland a couple of weeks ago. 

Have to say what a fantastic car for the long haul. Turned out to be 11.5 hours in the end but the car was a joy to drive on the A roads North of Glasgow. Plenty of hills, tight bends, overtaking trucks etc. Glen Coe was truly spectacular. Have never considered this car fast in any way or form but it easily had enough power to cope with what was thrown at it even if you needed to work the engine a little harder than normal from time to time. I think the venerable 2.5 V6 thrives on being worked and will come back for more and more. 

Journey home included a break in Edinburgh and a trip down the classic A1 route. Again, plenty of opportunities for overtaking on the single carriageway sections of the A1 of which the impressive sounding 2.5 V6 was more than equal. 

Arrived home relatively ache free. I guess this car was built for journeys like this. 

One thing which is apparent though. The days of being able to get away with liberal adherence of the speed limit are surely coming to and end. Average speed cameras on large sections of the A9. Loads of cameras on the A1. Ditto on the Scottish winding roads. M1/M6 relatively camera free but only because none of the variable speed limit indicators were on. Its been a topic of conversation in the past (think it was regarding the engine options on the ES) but you do have to wonder whether the days of higher powered 'ordinary' cars are coming to an end. 

001b.jpg

001a.jpg

001c.jpg

001d.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 8

I’ve only been to Skye once for a power distribution incident, as I crossed the bridge at Lochalsh I thought the sat nav had failed when it showed a 32 odd miles to the destination of Dunvegan..... I thought wrongly it’s just a small Scottish island. No it’s a rather large island and did take me nearly another hour on those twisting hilly roads in the dark. I think the worst job ever was in Wick it took something like 10 hours from Derby, I got to Glasgow and it was still showing several hundred miles to go and it was!

I also attended another incident on the Isle of Mull...ferry across from Oban then onto Tobermory. Once you leave the ferry terminal the road follows the coast. I was soon being overtaken by everything most of which seemed to be rally spec cars. Once I finally arrived I was told by locals that speed limits were virtually unenforceable as there was just one police car on the island.

If I ever return I’ll let the train take the strain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’ve only been to Skye once for a power distribution incident, as I crossed the bridge at Lochalsh I thought the sat nav had failed when it showed a 32 odd miles to the destination of Dunvegan..... I thought wrongly it’s just a small Scottish island. No it’s a rather large island and did take me nearly another hour on those twisting hilly roads in the dark. I think the worst job ever was in Wick it took something like 10 hours from Derby, I got to Glasgow and it was still showing several hundred miles to go and it was!

I also attended another incident on the Isle of Mull...ferry across from Oban then onto Tobermory. Once you leave the ferry terminal the road follows the coast. I was soon being overtaken by everything most of which seemed to be rally spec cars. Once I finally arrived I was told by locals that speed limits were virtually unenforceable as there was just one police car on the island.

If I ever return I’ll let the train take the strain.

Yes as much fun that I had I wouldn't want to repeat this very often. Have to say the eyes started to feel a bit heavy after 9 hours.  I'd say 12 hours would be about my absolute limit  when it comes to driving. 

Yes the train from London to Inverness is usually my preferred option. 8 hours pretty good going.  Averages 90mph between London and Edinburgh although is down to about 60 North of here. Coming back on the A1 I did glance enviously at the LNER Azuma train rushing past at around 125mph whilst I sat behind a car and trailer at 50. 

However....at least I was comfy and relatively content in the GS. 

Hi Adam

Congratulations on your road trip and your great post, nice pictures too 😁

It brought to mind times in my childhood when my Dad would drive us all from our home on the Solent coast up to central Angus to visit my grandparents.  We’d start out very early in the morning to arrive there around teatime; luckily my Mum can drive, so they would take turns at driving after each rest stop, so neither of them got too tired.  My sister and I would have toys and things in the back to try and occupy us, but they never really worked!!

You’re dead right about the cameras!!  I flamin’ hate them with a passion!!  I can honestly say I have never ever seen a camera at an accident black spot, only hidden round curves in nice stretches of “fast” road, so all the tosh put out that they’re there to promote safety is utter bollaux!!  They’re just another way of taxing the poor blooming motorist ☹️.

On your point about the future of more powerful vehicles, I think there will always be a market for them.  In my own case for instance, I don’t often drive huge distances on motorways and I don’t get much chance to “open her up” to top speed, but I need a car that can accelerate quickly to overtake lorries or tractors and then pull back into lane swiftly over short distances with a limited length view of the road ahead.  Your standard small c.c. family car or 4x4 can’t do that safely, so you end up with queues of frustrated drivers following slow moving road blocks, that’s when accidents happen.  When I buy a car, I’m not looking for top speed, but instantaneous “squirt”, I may not get past 60 very often, but I want to get there in fractions of a second, not minutes 😁. That’s one of the big pluses of the hybrid Lexus drivetrain; the instant boost you get from the electric motor as you stomp your foot down gives you the confidence that you can overtake easily and safely.

Sadly, when my hybrid died I went back to pure petrol (I’m a GS250 driver too now), but on occasion I have regretted that choice!  I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about the 2.5 V6, the torque doesn’t really kick in until around 4500 revs, so she responds best when you keep her at the top end of the rev band, but that can get noisy and expensive if you do to much of it.  Without doubt the GS is at her best as a cruiser and you just proved that 😁

Having read your post, I now just want to get in the car and drive!!  Just head off into the distance and see what’s out there...

All the best

Si

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Sadly, when my hybrid died I went back to pure petrol (I’m a GS250 driver too now), but on occasion I have regretted that choice!  I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about the 2.5 V6, the torque doesn’t really kick in until around 4500 revs, so she responds best when you keep her at the top end of the rev band, but that can get noisy and expensive if you do to much of it.  Without doubt the GS is at her best as a cruiser and you just proved that 😁

Having read your post, I now just want to get in the car and drive!!  Just head off into the distance and see what’s out there...

All the best

Si

Yes the GS250 is one of those cars a lot of people in the current era don't 'get'. Its very much a sentimental throwback to the days of 'Granada V6 man' etc. Ie a big reliable comfy cruiser that is brisk but not fast. It seems anything these days that has a V6 in needs to be sub 6 seconds 0-60, suspension like an F1 car, recaro seats etc to have an ounce of credibility. However where the likes of us really 'get' the GS250 and Lexus in General is that the immense reliability and willingness to come back for more. 

Apologies for the shameless showing off of photographs but here's a selection from Skye if anyone fancies a trip there. Really is a lovely place. 

DSC_9031.jpg

DSC_9115-Edit.jpg

DSC_9294-Edit.jpg

DSC_9388.jpg

DSC_9137-Edit.jpg

xDSC_8695.jpg

DSC_8737.jpg

DSC_8845-Edit.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 12:30 PM, steve2006 said:

.. I thought wrongly it’s just a small Scottish island. No it’s a rather large island and did take me nearly another hour on those twisting hilly roads in the dark..

I had to chuckle at this as we felt the same after our long haul up there.

Was well worth the trip though.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

It sure is a wonderful V6.

The photographs are stunning--you didn`t meet any flies then Adam?

Lets say stiff upper lip lost the day. Counted around 50 bites....and that was just on my legs. 

41 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Lets say stiff upper lip lost the day. Counted around 50 bites....and that was just on my legs. 

They are the worst thing about Skye.

I have just received 12 bottles (a case) of Skye Beer ordered on the `net and arrived within 72 hours.

Outstanding service and value and no flies enclosed..

Next moth we are going up to Cromarty again in the GS and they have a couple of local breweries on the Black Isle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links