Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retirement - top tips?

PCM

This week I shall be retiring.

When I say 'retiring', I mean leaving full time employment - in my late 50s, after working all my life.

Worked in IT all my life - and for the last 15, teaching it.

I'd like to do something part-time - my pensions are all ok...

I just want to make sure I don't get into a rut of nothingness.

( I'm also ASD, which may or may not help. )

Does anyone have any top tips from their retirement experiences?

Piers

• Like 2

@PCM

Not from my own direct experience, but I saw my Father retire in his mid-50s and end up back at work a couple of years later due to boredom (and then he kept going until he was almost seventy!). 

From a few other family members experience, I'd say fill your time with things you enjoy. Volunteering is great, and with an IT career I'm sure there are plenty of groups who'd welcome your help. I'm a few years away yet, but I've been volunteering as a mentor and lecturing about my career for Undergrads at my former University for a few years now, and it's very rewarding.

Non-executive Directorships, for two or three days a month, are also a good way of 'gradually' retiring whilst keeping one foot in the door...

• Like 3

Hi Piers and welcome to the Club.

I retired at 58 some 5 years ago and it was one of the two best things I have ever done.

It was my decision and I had decided that it was time to "look at all of the other rooms in my life"

I had occupied a senior position for the last 30 years and had sat in every chair,looked at every picture and fixed everything that needed fixing in that room.

I then saw a door I had not noticed once during my time in that room.I peeped inside and thought, wow!

I have often wondered during these past 15 years how on earth I had found the time to go to work.

Do whatever interests you.Be with whoever you wish to be with and importantly, read. Read anything and everything.Read from as many different perspectives as are available. Be available to those that seek your advice and give it freely.

I enjoy driving and drive to Spain twice yearly. I garden, play Golf, meet friends and watch Sports and filmsvia the Internet--it`s free, no need to pay silly and expensive subscriptions.

My Grandson has just introduced me to Harry Potter and I am trying to get him interested in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo !

It is worth remembering something along the lines of what the 35th President of the U.S.A. said......."ask not what your life can do for you, but ask what you can do for your life!

Once again, welcome to a whole new world of opportunity.

• Like 3

I allegedly retired at the Old age of 49 years and 10 months since when I have done all sorts of weird and wonderful jobs, a while in an opticians working for my daughter, mystery shopping (everything from banks to motorway services). Counting adverts on supermarket trolleys, photographing advertising hoardings to quality control placement. For the last 13 years I have worked part-time for a private company doing house conveyancing searches at councils. 

It is surprising what opportunities are out in the world for us oldies 

• Like 3

U3A have many diverse groups in my area ranging from walking to various sports, languages to philosophy, bridge to discussion groups, photographic to book discussion, among others.  I am sure there are many such U3A groups throughout the UK.  Some meet weekly or fortnightly and others once a month.  Some members attend more than one group.  This would not be a complete replacement for a normal working jobof course  but could provide some added interest and occupy some of your time.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I retired at 58 some 5 years ago and it was one of the two best things I have ever done.

It was my decision and I had decided that it was time to "look at all of the other rooms in my life"

I had occupied a senior position for the last 30 years and had sat in every chair,looked at every picture and fixed everything that needed fixing in that room.

I then saw a door I had not noticed once during my time in that room.I peeped inside and thought, wow!

I have often wondered during these past 15 years how on earth I had found the time to go to work.

Do whatever interests you.Be with whoever you wish to be with and importantly, read. Read anything and everything.Read from as many different perspectives as are available. Be available to those that seek your advice and give it freely.

I enjoy driving and drive to Spain twice yearly. I garden, play Golf, meet friends and watch Sports and filmsvia the Internet--it`s free, no need to pay silly and expensive subscriptions.

My Grandson has just introduced me to Harry Potter and I am trying to get him interested in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo !

It is worth remembering something along the lines of what the 35th President of the U.S.A. said......."ask not what your life can do for you, but ask what you can do for your life!

What a brilliant post! Quite moving and eloquently written.

Thank you.

Good advice for everyone I think.

We own ( and are lucky enough to ) a small house on Islay, in the Hebrides. I look forward to visiting more often, reading and my hobbies.

And having a house tidy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I allegedly retired at the Old age of 49 years and 10 months since when I have done all sorts of weird and wonderful jobs, a while in an opticians working for my daughter, mystery shopping (everything from banks to motorway services). Counting adverts on supermarket trolleys, photographing advertising hoardings to quality control placement. For the last 13 years I have worked part-time for a private company doing house conveyancing searches at councils. 

It is surprising what opportunities are out in the world for us oldies 

Thank you. Great thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

U3A have many diverse groups in my area ranging from walking to various sports, languages to philosophy, bridge to discussion groups, photographic to book discussion, among others.  I am sure there are many such U3A groups throughout the UK.  Some meet weekly or fortnightly and others once a month.  Some members attend more than one group.  This would not be a complete replacement for a normal working jobof course  but could provide some added interest and occupy some of your time.

I shall have to investigate...

Thank you.

Met a guy at a kit car show some years ago.  He liked building and working on cars.  When he retired he built a Kit car and when he finished it sold it and started another one.  He told me it had stopped him 'from going nuts'.  This is rather an unusual one and he had the facilities to do this. Another person I knew joined a choir or learnt to play a musical instrument.  There really is a great variety of things one can do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

or learnt to play a musical instrument.  There really is a great variety of things one can do.

Harmonica is on my list ...

2 minutes ago, PCM said:

Harmonica is on my list ...

Maybe said with tongue in cheek but I know a person who learnt the piano accordion and he provides free entertainment sessions at care homes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Well said that man.

So important to start formulating plans and ideas well before the date of retirement. Keep busy and active and don't stagnate...keep that brain working!!

My wife and I have been planning for the past year and a half ... we both retire at the end of March 2021. We will both be 64 then, with plans to get a camper van and tour Europe and beyond. We are fortunate that we are only 8 miles from Poole ferry port, so the jump across the water is easy.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

And if he has a car to sell Richie, you can fly via Inverness , Sumburgh and Stornoway ?

Always thinking John. Always thinking...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

You are now officially my best friend.

Where the Whisky comes from!

(  Portnahaven, Islay is where we are. ) 

An RX is a great car for getting there...

I semi retired about a year ago at the age of 67 from my work as a self employed carpenter.  I still do jobs ( but I pick and choose) and that allows us to run 3 cars and enjoy holidays etc.  It's one of my better decisions and as me and my wife are still healthy we love to walk....as long as the walk involves coffee and cake somewhere!  However, my ultimate aim is to fully retire in Cornwall....one day.  I've always been very active so sitting in an armchair all day is definitely out! As mentioned above, I've not discounted the idea of a boat as we live by the sea. There are just so many options in retirement you could spend the rest of your life pondering them and end up doing nothing, so don't ponder for too long Piers!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Well said that man.

So important to start formulating plans and ideas well before the date of retirement. Keep busy and active and don't stagnate...keep that brain working!!

My wife and I have been planning for the past year and a half ... we both retire at the end of March 2021. We will both be 64 then, with plans to get a camper van and tour Europe and beyond. We are fortunate that we are only 8 miles from Poole ferry port, so the jump across the water is easy.

A good idea Normski.I f you have not done so, then join a Motorhome Forum. I am in this one and it is a source of invaluable information.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/who-in-your-opinion-make-the-best-panel-van-conversions.222287/

1 hour ago, normski2 said:

Well said that man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PCM said:

This week I shall be retiring.

When I say 'retiring', I mean leaving full time employment - in my late 50s, after working all my life.

Worked in IT all my life - and for the last 15, teaching it.

I'd like to do something part-time - my pensions are all ok...

I just want to make sure I don't get into a rut of nothingness.

( I'm also ASD, which may or may not help. )

Does anyone have any top tips from their retirement experiences?

Piers

Hi Piers, you already have plenty of  advice. I think all of it good. My advice is to initially take time out, minimum of 6 months in order to clear your mind. Don’t burn your bridges on what you do now, but leave all options open. After you have experienced whatever you want to do , then make some plans. I am not sold on this ‘retirement ‘ thing, I am 70 this year, but it is each to his own. Having run my own Companies, of different types since 1993, and still having business interests I have found that to be my passion. I am now busy , in a good way, and on my terms, as I ever was , and have been offered Directorships, with contacts made over the years which I have accepted.
It is very important to keep your brain active, keep physically active, and enjoy life. There are so many opportunities out there.....grab em and good luck, Cheers, Roger

• Like 3