Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manuals

TomcatUK

I have just purchased a used ES 300h Takumi... 20 plate.. March 2020 1300 miles..

Pre purchase I downloaded both the User Manual and the Navigation Manual to peruse...

I have taken delivery today and noticed that only the User Manual and Service Booklet are included.

I have contacted the Dealer who assures me that  a Navigation Manual is NOT included in the pack..

Could anyone who has recently purchased a ES 300h inform me if a Navigation Pack was included with their purchase..

Thanks

John Hellingsworth

I don’t believe I had that manual when I collected my ES but I prefer the electronic versions anyway.  On my iPad the electronic version is about the same physical size as the printed version plus the electronic version is updated frequently whereas the printed version, obviously, is not.  I also like the electronic version for its word searching and ability to zoom into some small text or drawing.

Hello John,

May I offer some info and throw in my tuppence-worth? I was truly delighted to collect my ES last Friday and was interested in the very point you’ve raised.

I can confirm, having specifically asked, that the leather wallet correctly contained the Owner’s Manual and Service/Warranty booklet, ONLY. The handover process did however include the weblink for the ‘full’ manuals. As has been mentioned already, these are updated and easy to navigate your way round.

Hope that’s of help? 

Regards,

Pete

Thank you both...

To be frank.. I couldn’t believe that Lexus would exclude such an important printed manual...

One was included in my previous Is 300h, and I assumed it would be the case in an ES..

But your replies have clarified the situation....

Thanks again...

John

By way of completeness, I too thought there’d be the encyclopaedic tomes of similar type to those which I received with my IS. But that was 13 years ago, times have moved on and I suspect it won’t be that long until there are no printed documents at all! 

But that may be my cynicism running into overdrive (apologies for worse than awful pun).

Regards,

Pete

The lack of manuals will be a case of cost saving as printed documents aren’t cheap (1-2 manuals x tens of thousands of vehicles); plus more and more people rely on digital information.  Case of some people want a physical daily newspaper whilst I read The Times and Telegraph online.

Lexus will supply printed manuals on request. 

I had the same when I bought my NX and on contacting customer services, I received the hard copies through the post.

• Like 1

Interesting that I was told way back in 2019 that hard copy manuals were available on request if you really wanted a navigation manual.   Despite requesting a Nav manual it never arrived  so I purchased one from a dealer.    My GS450h and before that my LS460 original document sets had a library of books and quick reference manuals,  5 in total as I remember but as members have said only a service book and one user manual comes with the ES.

The hard copy Nav manual is thick but note, this manual also duplicates information that appears in the basic user manual and is not exclusively about the Nav system. It cost £48 from memory.   Never read it or use it,  and although I downloaded the electronic version these too are docs I rarely use because the ES is so reliable.   I find that an address or post code is enough to get me where I need to go and selecting previous journeys is simple.  It's like the novelty of sending destinations to your car via the My Lexus account,  fun to do it a few times but then it becomes quicker to just enter the code/address when you get in the car.   The sat nav can show petrol stations and POI  very easily too.   I think we all suffer from FOMO sometimes, fear of missing out  on something that we can all live without really.  

Each their own, of course, but I’m not sure why people really need the hardcopy when the electronic version (which is updated periodically) is available on your smartphone, tablet and PC/Mac.  The lengthy document is, to me, infinitely easier to read on a tablet than a book plus you’re got the ability to word search and zoom in/out on the electronic version.  

SH20, you may have a point about FOMO but as I started off with...each their own.  If you need the hardcopy then fair enough.

Less FOMO and more of the old habits die hard, stuck in the past and yes probably resistant to change. But it’s a broad Kirk and everyone is entitled to their choice/opinion.

Pete

• 1 year later...

I noticed the same, no navigation manual when I collected my ES a couple of weeks ago. I asked the dealer and they said it is not included as standard.

They checked with Lexus UK and the navigation manual is available from Lexus and takes 2 weeks to obtain. My dealer has ordered one for me FOC.

There is a move to have manuals online throughout the industry, but being the wrong side of 70, paper manuals are much easier for me to read.

• Like 1

Like I said previously, although I bought one myself, despite my supplying dealer saying they would get me one back in 2019 but never did I have never had need to look at it so wasted £48 back then.   

It's a fact that all manufacturers want you to download manuals to your smart phone and use that when you need info.   Not everyone wants to do that and a hard copy version may be old school but often is best.  I think I heard recently that the old service book will go as well as the dealer will merely update the Lexus service history and anyone or prospective buyer will be able to access a car's history on line.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links