Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long would we expect a RX400h to last??

I'm talking about all the hybrid stuff and the gearbox. I know the engine is good forever!

My car has done nearly 155k and it's immense. I'm thinking about getting some paint and the wheels done but it will cost a few quid but the car will then look as good as it drives. I'm just nervous dropping 800 quid for it all to be done well if something irreparable is likely to drop soonish. And it's because I want to keep the car.

It continues to amaze me how good the hybrid system is after such mileage. However most of the first 120k was motorway.

In this I'm assuming that batteries/inverter/gearbox etc aren't economic to fix, let alone finding someone to do work like that. Honestly if something like the inverter gave out i'd happily get it fixed, if I could get it fixed somewhere other than Lexus!

There are quite a few Prius taxis over 300,000 miles from what I can gather so I see no reason why the RX can't get there.

• Like 3

The Battery is more likely to die from water ingress before it fails on its own. Inverter and hybrid Battery are easy to replace. Its not the end of the world in one fails as once replaced it will probably go for another 10+ years.

• Like 1

It is likely that at some time the hybrid Battery will need attention of some sort. Either Battery module replacement or fitting new or used Battery. There is no reason to expect problems from the transmission "much less likely than a normal auto box or even a manual if you include the clutch"
The Battery modules "a block of 8 cells" can be replaced at reasonable cost a used Battery complete is circa £550, or a new Battery is under £3000, but should then give 15 years plus of extra life.

John.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few years I’ve repaired the seats, courtesy light switches, replaced the wing mirrors, touched up all the paint, fixed all the leaks, refurbished the headlights, replaced the number plates, refurbished alloys and loads of other stuff. I’m happy spending 1k a year over the normal service on average given the alternative is at least 3-5k in annual depreciation. Mine looks and drives like a new car. I think it’s worth it but I might consider a new car at the 20 year mark.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 06_400_h_se said:

Over the past few years I’ve repaired the seats, courtesy light switches, replaced the wing mirrors, touched up all the paint, fixed all the leaks, refurbished the headlights, replaced the number plates, refurbished alloys and loads of other stuff. I’m happy spending 1k a year over the normal service on average given the alternative is at least 3-5k in annual depreciation. Mine looks and drives like a new car. I think it’s worth it but I might consider a new car at the 20 year mark.

Keep it for as long as you wish to keep it or until the annual cost of maintenance and repairs, LESS the pleasure such work gives you, exceeds by a significant sum, the ongoing annual cost of purchasing,repairing and maintaining its replacement.

Given the undoubted skills you will have acquired over time MR ANONYMOUS, can you please quote me for soleing and heeling my leather shoes and darning my Merino Woolen socks?

• Like 1

A few things to consider when contemplating keeping a car for many years.

Manufacturers eventually stop supplying parts and in such cases you are then looking at non original parts (where these are indeed made and available or buying used parts that may or may not serve well.

Notwithstanding how  much time and money you put into an old car, unless it has classic status, insurers are not going to pay you much more for total loss in the event of a claim and are likely to write off good cars for even say a bonnet, wing and headlight.

For a car produced in large numbers, Lexus cars hold their prices comparatively well but there comes a time when they become so outdated in terms of technology that they don't fetch much.  Who knows that with the drive towards economy and being more 'green' whether in due course hybrids will be  viewed with the same disdain as diesels  are now and if owners may be penalized under future legislation.  So you don't  accept these prospects and keep punting money into them, there comes a point where you need to get something newer.

I still have my 2001 E39 5 series BMW which apart from three small jobs needing to be done is in very good condition.  However, the models was sold in huge numbers in various forms and as both petrol and diesel. Essential spares are still available new from BMW at present, other suppliers or breakers. I also have many spares from another E39  I broke for parts.  But it is worth so little now that it is not worth me selling it.  In fact it is only because the Lexus is more comfortable for my back on long journeys that I bought the Lexus, otherwise, I would still be using only the E39.

If you do decide to keep the RX 400h long term,  you might consider buying a few good second hand parts now that may not be available in a few years time. such as headlights for example. 

I've just sold my 2005 RX400h with 185,000 miles. I had the car new in June 2005 and it was one of the first batch of retail cars in the UK. (the first ones a few weeks earlier were the demos). I have now upgraded to a RX450 Premier. It has gone to a good friend and I am confident it could easily last another 5-10 years and 50000+ miles.I have had no problems with engine, hybrid batteries and system - just what I would call normal wear and tear items. I have always had routine services at Lexus, but other items such as discs/pads etc I have purchased OEM parts from Lexus and fitted by an independant garage owner (the friend who has bought the car for himself). Also glad to say that  15 years of Lexus assistance has never been needed, but of course I continue paying the premiums. Number plate RX5 4OOH for sale.

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

A few things to consider when contemplating keeping a car for many years.

Manufacturers eventually stop supplying parts and in such cases you are then looking at non original parts (where these are indeed made and available or buying used parts that may or may not serve well.

Notwithstanding how  much time and money you put into an old car, unless it has classic status, insurers are not going to pay you much more for total loss in the event of a claim and are likely to write off good cars for even say a bonnet, wing and headlight.

For a car produced in large numbers, Lexus cars hold their prices comparatively well but there comes a time when they become so outdated in terms of technology that they don't fetch much.  Who knows that with the drive towards economy and being more 'green' whether in due course hybrids will be  viewed with the same disdain as diesels  are now and if owners may be penalized under future legislation.  So you don't  accept these prospects and keep punting money into them, there comes a point where you need to get something newer.

I still have my 2001 E39 5 series BMW which apart from three small jobs needing to be done is in very good condition.  However, the models was sold in huge numbers in various forms and as both petrol and diesel. Essential spares are still available new from BMW at present, other suppliers or breakers. I also have many spares from another E39  I broke for parts.  But it is worth so little now that it is not worth me selling it.  In fact it is only because the Lexus is more comfortable for my back on long journeys that I bought the Lexus, otherwise, I would still be using only the E39.

If you do decide to keep the RX 400h long term,  you might consider buying a few good second hand parts now that may not be available in a few years time. such as headlights for example. 

Toyota policy was 16yrs lifespan before they stopped stocking the parts, we had parts for stored for the original carina e when I left 17yrs after the first one rolled off the production line I don't know what they would do with unused parts but you have to remember like all manufacturers they don't make their own parts other than the metal so ac delco or Gates etc may continue making parts long after, if there are a large number of cars still on the road.

15 hours ago, Richard Fixter said:

Toyota policy was 16yrs lifespan before they stopped stocking the parts, we had parts for stored for the original carina e when I left 17yrs after the first one rolled off the production line I don't know what they would do with unused parts but you have to remember like all manufacturers they don't make their own parts other than the metal so ac delco or Gates etc may continue making parts long after, if there are a large number of cars still on the road.

Spare parts are a very profitable part of a car manufacturers business and as you say much of this consists of parts made by others and you pay extra through buying through the dealer for having the  part in the car maker's packaging, logo or part number stamped on it.  (First learnt this many  many years years ago when I bought a headlight bulb from Mercedes in their package as  part of an order for spares but later found the same bulb for less than half the price at a local factors but minus the Merc wrapping).  Similarly,as an example, I bought correct Lemforder control arms from a factor for my BMW which would have cost a lot more from a BMW dealership. So while the sales of spares produce a good return for Toyota or whatever manufacturer. there is an incentive to maintain a supply.  There is also the matter of reputation.  Many customers would not buy a car if the car maker only stocked spares for say 5 years after the sale of the model ended.  Also, I read in the USA that it is a requirement that spares should be available for at least 10 years after production of a model ends. Somebody  said this is how Honda dealt with the situation :-

former Lecturer of business law and economics (2019)
Answered September 8, 2018·Author has7.2Kanswersand11.5Manswer views

Honda supports their vehicles for 15 years after they stop production.

They have this as policy.

What usually happens is that once a model stops production by 10 years the make a very big final batch of parts and then sell them off to various auto parts companies.

Honda UK did this with David Silver Spares (a Honda parts company). They sold all the spare parts for their bikes made and discontinued in the 1990s. They’re about to do the same for the discontinued vehicles for the 00s'

So it rather looks like it should be possible to obtain parts for older Toyota and Honda models for a long time, although due to cost it may not be economical to pay the price of buying new for a very old car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Spare parts are a very profitable part of a car manufacturers business and as you say much of this consists of parts made by others and you pay extra through buying through the dealer for having the  part in the car maker's packaging, logo or part number stamped on it.  (First learnt this many  many years years ago when I bought a headlight bulb from Mercedes in their package as  part of an order for spares but later found the same bulb for less than half the price at a local factors but minus the Merc wrapping).  Similarly,as an example, I bought correct Lemforder control arms from a factor for my BMW which would have cost a lot more from a BMW dealership. So while the sales of spares produce a good return for Toyota or whatever manufacturer. there is an incentive to maintain a supply.  There is also the matter of reputation.  Many customers would not buy a car if the car maker only stocked spares for say 5 years after the sale ended.  Also, I read in the USA that it is a requirement that spares should be available for at least 10 years after production of a model ends. Somebody  said this is how Honda dealt with the situation :-

former Lecturer of business law and economics (2019)
Answered September 8, 2018·Author has7.2Kanswersand11.5Manswer views

Honda supports their vehicles for 15 years after they stop production.

They have this as policy.

What usually happens is that once a model stops production by 10 years the make a very big final batch of parts and then sell them off to various auto parts companies.

Honda UK did this with David Silver Spares (a Honda parts company). They sold all the spare parts for their bikes made and discontinued in the 1990s. They’re about to do the same for the discontinued vehicles for the 00s'

So it rather looks like it should be possible to obtain parts for older Toyota and Honda models for a long time, although due to cost it may not be economical to pay the price of buying new for a very old car.

David Silver also obtained parts directly from the USA, Japan etc at cheap prices, like the alternator on the ST1100 I used to own, until the EU stopped him and said he had to obtain the parts from the EU only which put meant the price of a new alternator (common problem) more than doubled.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links