Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lately, my GS has been producing a "scraping" noise when driven even at low speeds, and becomes louder the more it is steered to the left. It appears to be coming from the front left wheel.

After doing some research online, many seem to attribute this to a faulty wheel bearing. So I jacked the car up today and grabbed the top and bottom of the front left tyre and rocked it as hard as I could, but there was absolutely no play at all. There is no "coarseness" felt at the wheel when I rotate it either, but scraping noise is certainly audible as it spins.

I've attached a video that hopefully demonstrates this. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks  🙂

This sounds to me like brake pads have worn though friction material maybe caused by sticking caliper or could be a stone has got caught up.  I have even known where the pads over time have so undercut the disc that a considerable lip has formed leading to metal on pad and disc meeting. You could see what difference it makes taking out pads and possibly disc.  I had a Camry once where there was no movement in the bearing but it gave a constant slight whistling sound which went when I replaced the bearing but quite unlike the sound yours made. 

If you you find you do have a disc/pads problem you need to check the other side also and if there is a substantial difference establish cause.  Then having remedied this you might well have to fit new ones on either side unless it was just a very small stone on on side which I doubt it is. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

This sounds to me like brake pads have worn though friction material maybe caused by sticking caliper or could be a stone has got caught up.  I have even known where the pads over time have so undercut the disc that a considerable lip has formed leading to metal on pad and disc meeting.

I agree, definitely brake related.

May not be totally worn brake pads though, the standard Toyota pad have a reasonable amount of metal in them to make that noise when lightly rubbing against the disc.

• Thanks 1

The cause of the noise may be due to the wear of the brake pad, so check the brake as soon as possible. Ideally, you should replace a new brake pad.
Front wheel noise also indicates some other common problems such as wheel wear, abnormal tires, and bent wheels.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

I had a look at the front brake disk and it does appear lipped on both sides. :tomato:

Out of curiosity, is this something that would normally be picked up during MOT? It passed its MOT in March just before the lockdown and had no advisories on the brakes.

IMG_20200708_1202530 (1).jpg

Out of curiosity, is this something that would normally be picked up during MOT? 

it will only be picked up if the wear is excessive. Yours do look fairly worn although its not always easy to tell from a photo.

The noise is caused by the backing plate "dust shield" touching the disc.
How do I know? Because I had exactly the same noise appear on my GS450H.
The remedy is to simply bend the plate away from the disc with the wheel off the car. You should still be able to hear the noise with the wheel removed, but to make sure the disc does not move away from the back plate after removing the wheel refit a couple of the wheel nuts as near opposite each other as you can, and just pinch them up with a spanner.

John.

• Thanks 1

The thickness of the disc is not an MOT failure even if it is below the minimum thickness due to ware. This is as long as the disc is not cracked, has pieces missing, or has serious pitting due to rust.
New thickness is 30 mm. Minimum thickness is 28 mm.

John.

It has to be remembered that the MOT tests things are operating at only that brief moment in time.  What should be noted is how the brakes perform overall and also individually against each other where ideally both sides should match the time and progression of the other.  A sticking caliper would show up in this test.  But with wear and partial seizing of components there can come a tipping point when a disparity develops.

The only other thing I can think of that has not yet been mentioned although is a very remote possibility is that the back plate may have suffered a blow whereby it has bent and is rubbing against the disc  

Edited by Barry14UK
John posted same suggestion before I submitted
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links