Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UK is not the best market for big petrol engines to start with and then if someone is in this market they will most probably go for something from Germany. 

Good example is a GSF - brilliant car but in the UK only 70 or so were sold in few years. LC500 is even more expensive which probably would lead to even smaller sales.

As for the new LS, not a lot of changes but maybe early model will drop in price which then push down late 600h ones too.

• Like 1

The GS F was always limited in the numbers Lexus expected to sell in the UK. The LC has had around 400 sold to date in the UK.

The LS hasn't sold more than 100 in any year since 2009 and only 26 in 2019. The numbers are always better on facelift years but many of those are demonstrators and press vehicles which inflate the figures.

• Like 1

With that awful grille I'm not surprised nobody here is buying them. Not to my taste at all.
I saw one in the flesh at Goodwood FOS in 2018 and instantly thought "Ewwwwwww".

Looks like a Basking Shark with it's mouth wide open.:surprise:

Not keen on the new 7 series or the S8 styling either.

What's with everyone suddenly adding HUGE grilles to the front of their cars?

58 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

What's with everyone suddenly adding HUGE grilles to the front of their cars?

Worry not, with the way the industry is going, big grilles (or even grilles) could be a thing of the past. Enjoy it while it lasts  😉

• Like 2

We might be reaching turning point soon.

I remember my 1st car got no grill at all:

010-prelude-mk3.jpg

Where the 2nd one got small one. Back in the days it was normal but now it does look a bit funny:

1996_Honda_Accord_VTEC_2.2_Front.jpg

And here is where we are now:

d167ae40-98e0-11e9-beb6-1818ed77cbc1

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Apparently those oversize grilles are an aquired Asian taste. The BMW design is heavily influenced by Chinese customers where bling and showing your wealth are decisive factors in purchasing a new vehicle.

I recently saw a youtube video of the Toyota Century. It was explained that the architecture of the Century does not radiate the wealth of the owner but the status.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hangie said:

UK is not the best market for big petrol engines to start with and then if someone is in this market they will most probably go for something from Germany. 

Good example is a GSF - brilliant car but in the UK only 70 or so were sold in few years. LC500 is even more expensive which probably would lead to even smaller sales.

As for the new LS, not a lot of changes but maybe early model will drop in price which then push down late 600h ones too.

I think I read that all slots for the upcoming LC 500 convertible has been sold (which I was sad about even though I couldn't afford one haha)

6 hours ago, Hangie said:

We might be reaching turning point soon.

I remember my 1st car got no grill at all:

010-prelude-mk3.jpg

That 3rd gen Prelude is the stuff of legends. My dad had a facelifted one in burgundy back in the day and I have nothing but fond memories driving it. The mechanical 4-wheel steering did take a bit of getting used to but came to its own in the country roads. 😍

15 minutes ago, LexIS200Sport said:

That 3rd gen Prelude is the stuff of legends. My dad had a facelifted one in burgundy back in the day and I have nothing but fond memories driving it. The mechanical 4-wheel steering did take a bit of getting used to but came to its own in the country roads. 😍

I got a lot of good memories about that car. Mine was 1990 2.0 carbs auto in silver. I got it in 2004 when I was on Uni 🙂

4WS system was great but it does looked strange when you parked with steering wheel of centre and rear wheels were off.

going back to the topic, you can do a good looking car without huge grill.

I could certainly live with that LC even with the Spindle Grill which is possibly (??) growing on me.  The curvacious styling is just so S*xy.

Can't believe that you have to lift the Boot yourself after pressing the button. And also that you can't just press it again for it to self close!  Dear me, behind the times or what!

Don't want to be a bore because I know it's been said enough times before, but I still can't get on with the pinched waist grille. And I even have one of the newer styled Lexuses (well, my wife drives it - an IS300h). It does look better in the flesh but I still find it too agressive. IMHO the LS range should retain a modicum of decorum 😀.

• Like 1

I guess it's people who want a car that shouts "Shut your mouth and look at my wad" that are driving this fad. :laughing:
I've always preferred the subtler styling of the LS400/430/460/600 (pre-2015) and I do like the styling of the early A8 and the Phaeton.
Prior to the LS I had a Honda Legend, Merc S320CDI W220, another Legend, Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat 2.6, Carlton 2,0 and a couple of company Mondeos so I've never been into shouty cars. Not that I would object to a nice lime green Lamborghini Aventador or a purple Pagani Huayra, but they are supposed to be shouty cars. :thumbup:

Most current cars don't need a grille at all. They were originally designed to get air to the radiator in the days before electric fans. With an electric fan you can put the radiator just about anywhere so long as it gets access to cool air. Many modern supercars put the rad in the rear wings (fenders) as it means they are close to the engine and can be used to increase down-force by pulling air up from under the car.

Yes, with the move towards electric/fuel cell soon grilles will be a thing of the past although they still need air-con condensers and even electric motors and fuel-cells need some cooling.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, ambermarine said:

I have never liked the spindle grill on the Lexus range and they are now starting to look like a panel van front, no style and as stylish as a kerb edge.

The fashion industry knows. 

All fashions end in excess and a fashion will attain its end of life once it reaches its extreme level in styling. People get bored with the fashion and they start to look for a different style or look for what may be a new fashion.

I personally classify the LC styling as 'Micky Mouse - Star Wars', I prefer things to have functional simplicity and work well, and not be over stylized.

I know 'fashion' sells cars but there are certain features that would put me off buying any car:-

A ridiculously over stylized front grill that serves no purpose, the current Lexus grill just looks stupid!

Over sized wheels and very low profile tyres, that make it very hard to produce a comfortable suspension. The low profile tyres don't grip as well in the wet, they cost a lot more and wear out faster. The alloy wheels are also more susceptible to catastrophic failure when hitting a pot hole. I would not feel safe driving on them, racing cars don't.

Blacked out rear windows, which are pointless. I like my children to be able to see the world outside, if I didn't want people to see my passengers I'd buy a van and put seats in the back! (I don't need to keep the sun out, the air-con works in my car!)

One of the reasons I'm still driving an LS430 (my second one, the first only lasted 10 years) is the styling of the later cars just didn't appeal to me.

Or it may be I'm getting old!

John N 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:08 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

I could certainly live with that LC even with the Spindle Grill which is possibly (??) growing on me.  The curvacious styling is just so S*xy.

Can't believe that you have to lift the Boot yourself after pressing the button. And also that you can't just press it again for it to self close!  Dear me, behind the times or what!

I originally had this complaint too, but, the added gubbins for an electric boot aren't really worth the hassle. What I find more unforgivable is the complete lack of thigh support adjustment or any form of seat massaging. When you are going for all out GT long distance luxury, how can you omit such basics? The competition and the LS have it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links