Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 2007 grinding noise from front drive side when breaking

Lex24

Recently the lexus is250 cought my attention so I decided to check them out, I've test drive a few from 05 to 07, what I've found strange is that when driving the cars this grinding noise coming from the the front belived to be coming  from  the driver side whenever the brakes applied, I want to know if this a common problem, why all the cars I've test drive have the same problem?

Edited by Lex24
Wrong year mine is 07 not 08

Hi Lloyd and welcome to the LOC.

There shouldn’t be any grinding noise when braking unless there is a problem with the brakes i.e. pads worn down to the metal backing plate. The fact you heard it on all the cars you tried is very unusual.

The brake pads fitted on the side facing the underside of the car have a pin facing the rotor. When the pads reach their wear limit, the pin is rubbing against the rotor so you know it is time to change the brake pads.

Remove the wheel and the brake pads to inspect them.

Chris.

If the discs are covered in light rust due to standing it is not unusual to hear this scraping noise for the first few applications of the brakes. Particularly at low speed. It should however disappear after a few applications.

John.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, Britprius said:

If the discs are covered in light rust due to standing it is not unusual to hear this scraping noise for the first few applications of the brakes. Particularly at low speed. It should however disappear after a few applications.

John.

Thanks to everyone that takes the timeout to give my question attention, I've now comes to agreed that it is the breaks, I've not gotten the chance to take it to a garage, however today I was driving and lexus check breaks warning came on. I've looked at the pads but they all seems to be ok about 10-15mm.