Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare wheel and dashboard shine

peasoup39

So after 3 months of lockdown and car on a SORN i was really looking forward to getting back on the road. Having bought it a few weeks before lockdown i have not had much use out of it. It did not disappoint as they are glorious cars to drive.

However  found two issues.

1  Wanted the roof down for the first time so had to pull the boot flap over only to find the spare wheel interfered with the  flap and although i fitted it ok the flap was bent around the spare wheel. This cannot be correct. The spare leans forward about 10 deg as the rear panel will not allow it to sit upright regardless of which way around i put the wheel.

2 Drive was in the evening with a low bright sun and the amount of reflection of the polished dashboard top in the windscreen was very noticeable and did affect my vision. Has anyone else noticed this or is it my eyes..

22 minutes ago, peasoup39 said:

So after 3 months of lockdown and car on a SORN i was really looking forward to getting back on the road. Having bought it a few weeks before lockdown i have not had much use out of it. It did not disappoint as they are glorious cars to drive.

However  found two issues.

1  Wanted the roof down for the first time so had to pull the boot flap over only to find the spare wheel interfered with the  flap and although i fitted it ok the flap was bent around the spare wheel. This cannot be correct. The spare leans forward about 10 deg as the rear panel will not allow it to sit upright regardless of which way around i put the wheel.

2 Drive was in the evening with a low bright sun and the amount of reflection of the polished dashboard top in the windscreen was very noticeable and did affect my vision. Has anyone else noticed this or is it my eyes..

I can certainly comment on the dash reflection, it's been bad on every Lexus I've owned!

I can confirm that even when it's not secured properly my spare wheel doesn't interfere with the boot cover. Have you got it in the car with the outer face of the space-saver pointing to the rear and is it fully down in the cut out for it? There is a securing bracket that can be obtained to hold it in place or the floor mat can be cut and reshaped to hold it firm too. Bob did a good tutorial on it. Link below + bracket + the real cover image.

I can't say I've noticed a great deal of glare from the dash in the setting sun. Perhaps someone has used some 'back to black' or polish on it that could be cleaned off.  If it's a permanent sheen and very annoying I have seen a flock finish style dash mat product that can be applied to the top of the dash. I'm sure that would cure the glare but not sure if it's available for the rhd model.. If cut to shape neatly and fixed lightly with double sided tape that might be a solution without harming the original dash fabric.

image.png.69be374d8bd52c171828d5d4ce6b46c5.png

https://forum.lexusownersclub.com/threads/fitting-a-spare-wheel-to-my-sc430.2081/

image.jpeg.987c8699299b85da498c2fd4d3c04620.jpeg

image.png.25aeb4f4fa23e537cbbbd898ebf97154.png

Tried the wheel in the wrong way around ie inside if wheel to rear of the car and it fits much better. Still not vertical but boot flap now fits into the grooves without bending.

I have also made a soft black canvas dash cover that i am fitting to the top of the dash over the speedo console. It makes a huge difference to the glare from the dashboard and is not that noticeable.

More importantly i took a good hard look at the windscreen.. After 150k there was obvious wear from the wipers and minute scratches all over the wiper arc. Out with the polisher and some cirium oxide and its all polished out beautifully so hopefully my glare problem will have gone. Seems i have to wait for the weekend for the next bit of sunshine to prove it.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Interested in this topic as to what the spare wheel looks like now and the cover you have made for the dash, what it looks like on!

some pics please!

Yes i will try to send photos but never been very successful at posting on forums.

Cover is nothing special. It is a piece of hemmed black cloth that covers to clock pinnacle and half the dash back to about 2" of the windscreen.. it is be attached with some small velcro patches.  

• Like 2

Well well , how easy was that to upload the photos. Thanks to some  help it was simple. Much more difficult on the Porsche DDK site.

Photos as requested. For the spare wheel i have noted that i have no facility to bolt it in position. There is no hole in the back cover to put a bolt through to secure , however it is jammed in tight so no problem.

The antiglare pad works brilliantly  but is not a perfect fit. Its the first attempt. The front edge sticks up a bit but it  is behind the steering wheel so i cannot actually see it when driving.I am going to use it for a while and if it stays in place then i will make a mk 2 version out of black Suede and a better fit

lexus d sparel_IMG_2255.jpg

lexus d1 spare_IMG_2256.jpg

lexus dash_IMG_2254.jpg

• Thanks 1

Followed the instructions for cutting the tool rack cover and it was ever so simple after making a cardboard template. i took it a stage further by taking the matting off the spare bit of cover, cut two 1" wide strips and glued them over the rough edge which has given it a very professional finish.

I also tried a new dashboard cover made from not slip matting that is used in motor homes to stop crockery slipping around. Unfortunately it was as reflective as the dashboard so not suitable.

lexus boot floor.jpg

• Like 1

Peter

I have just ordered a "Custom" Dash Cover Mat from amazon for a SC430, (made in china) delivery in September, £25 inc del. So I will post its fit, etc, when I get it.

jack

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter have just received my order from China of a custom dash cover from...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088626CDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First for £25 it was good material," fit" it was 2inches too long, also trimmed, where it fits along the front touching glass! I notified them that it was for a SC430 on the order and the e-mail back

So trimmed the drivers side and also removed front segment around blowers.I think it will be ok for the job now seemed to cut out any reflected glare as I have just road tested it!cover.thumb.JPG.6db42116a9706c463a447872d1ee13d4.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links