Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Mk3 Tie rod replacement

I needed new front tyres so checked the tie rods and lower ball joints last week to see if they needed doing before putting new rubber on. Lower ball joints looked ok but the tie rod rubber boots were split so just the tie rods were replaced (not by me though) and an alignment done. I don't think the ones removed were genuine Lexus parts though. The genuine Lexus parts have a metal retaining ring at the top to hold the boot in place, the ones removed didn't seem to have this, whether this makes a huge difference or not I'm not sure.

I did try to remove the tie rods myself, separated the ball joint end no problem but I struggled to loosen the tie rod locking nuts even after soaking with plus gas and leaving for a few days. Couldn't get enough purchase on them just having the car on axle stands, not enough room really. If I had a ramp it would be different, but without a ramp I could have removed the complete arms from the steering rack and got them in a vice to do it but I didn't really want to do that. The car needed an alignment after anyway so swallowed my pride and had the job done at a garage along with the alignment at the same time. With new front tyres, new tie rods and alignment (alignment was fine before anyway) the car drives better especially over rough 'ish' surfaces, front end doesn't 'rattle' much now. Car doesn't seem to wander as much but one of the front tyres was pretty knackered so that didn't help plus alignment was pretty good anyway as it was done last November.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links