Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,,

so found a ls250  i quite fancy but the dealers (Finchampstead Motors Wokingham) gets a real mixed bag of reviews on auto trader, some real bad ones. Anyone got any input to help me along thanks

The deal seems a bit to good to be true

Hello Jeff and welcome to the LOC.

I have never used this company myself but perhaps other members have and will chip in.

The car itself looks clean and straight although needs a good pre sale valet, I checked the MOT history and the mileage is consistent with no failures from the first test. The previous MOT had advisories for all 4 tyres so worth checking if these have been replaced or haggle accordingly to cover these.

The current MOT is short so I would certainly be looking for a fresh ticket before purchase.

As you mention reviews are mixed but seem to have improved recently, the fact they are a dealer provides greater consumer protection regarding any defects that may arise so don’t be tempted by an expensive warranty the law will basically cover this for 6 months.

I don’t know what the £95.00 admin fee is for sounds expensive for sending a V5C to the DVSA so question it.

I think the price is fair for the condition and mileage but insist on a HPI check or do a basic one yourself, if is is previously accident recorded it will also state this on the front of the V5C.

Check the service history with 4 previous owners it probably started with Lexus and ended up at an independent, If you do purchase Lexus normally provide a free check up which will highlight any existing and potential problems.

I would go and take a look if it’s local, better still if you have a mechanic as a friend take them too, any concerns just thank them for their time and walk away.

For other members here’s the link

https://www.finchampsteadmotors.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-is-250-2-5-se-l-4dr-wokingham-202006300668884

Many thanks for the reply.

yeah not local to me hence why i was needing advice before crossing the country, it does seem ok though.

i have found another at a good price that is on 109000 but only seven service stamps (would prefer a few more at that mileage) everything else seems pretty good accept wondering about this engine bay pic what is the white looking flexs everywhere on the hoses and silencer pad ( see attached)

ceeb8f7b861e4cb19b4206889ed2ec56.jpg

You Are right to be alarmed as under the bonnet should be spotless, it is very easy to keep clean but that looks suspiciously like it might be staining from a liquid that is coming from below. Ie the water pump has failed and it is splashing up coolant from the pulley/belt when the car is used! The water pump on a IS is a failure point (and at 109,000 it could be original one!) but not a terminal problem if spotted and sorted, not super expensive or difficult and could be a big haggling point!

going back to what Steve2006 said re the tyres, make sure they have fitted all 4 of the same (brand name) tyres If they have actually addressed the mot advice!

Also note that most of the fixings for the engine cover panels are missing! Could be a sign of unprofessional interventions shall we say!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links