Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Factory Tow hook for RX450h

I recently bought a used RX450h. The car is really impressing me so far. I am still learning all its features but one thing I did was check my car's factory specification using the VIN number.

The spec seems to suggest that it came with a 'Towing Package' but I can's see any sign of this on the car.

Does anyone else have the factory towing package ? What and where should I be looking for evidence of this ?

My car states towing package also but alas, no tow package existed. Have now fitted one, at not inconsiderable expense, all for a bike carrier. Car is too tall to manhandle e bikes from the roof.

• Like 1

Had a look under rear of my car today.  I have a substantial bolted on bracket with elongated hole projecting downwards on either side. Lexus make reference to a drawbar for towing in the handbook, although there is nothing connecting these brackets or connected to them.  Any idea if these brackets are part of a tow system or what other purpose they serve 

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting pic but I don't see that. on my car.  About two thirds is covered by a plastic undershield with a triangular bracket bolted to the chassis showing as it projects down through the shield on the near side.  The plastic shield stops short fairly close to the rear silencer and just further out still is the counterpart triangular bracket attached to the other longitudinal chassis member.  You couldn't fit a bar directly between the two brackets as it would foul the end of the silencer.  I was thinking the brackets may have served as tie down points during shipment .  These brackets are not currently serving any purpose.  I propose to fit a connector to one so I can take my external mains supply to it and thence inside boot to a connector for my smart charger.  This will then enable me to plug into the connector weekly to top up my Battery without lifting stuff out of the boot to access the smart charger.  

It's threatening  to rain at present but when possible I will get my trolley jack out and raise the car's rear in order to take some pics.  I couldn't see a dedicated lifting pad in the centre rear but will sort something.

Those two brackets are tie-down points or for towing other vehicles and when my towbar was fitted were removed and discarded as the towbar has these as part of its frame. So it looks like you don't have a bar fitted. I got mine from PF Jones and they fitted it on my drive at half the cost of a Lexus one. The one I got were made by Westfallia which I think is also fitted by Lexus.

4 hours ago, Gliderpilot said:

Those two brackets are tie-down points or for towing other vehicles and when my towbar was fitted were removed and discarded as the towbar has these as part of its frame. So it looks like you don't have a bar fitted. I got mine from PF Jones and they fitted it on my drive at half the cost of a Lexus one. The one I got were made by Westfallia which I think is also fitted by Lexus.

Thank you for confirming what I assumed.  I will leave brackets in place in case I have to be pulled out of a ditch or whatever!  I wouldn't want to tow with this arrangement, although force of habit I do have a tow rope in the boot. Decided I won't have sufficient use to get proper tow bar fitted.