Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus UK dropping models this September

Habu

I was at my local centre today and I was told that the CT, IS and RC are getting dropped from the lineup this September.  I’m maybe not surprised by the CT but the others?!?  Shame we’ll not be getting the new MY21 IS as it looks very good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not that surprised about the IS. New model is coming (just not to the UK) so production will presumably be ending. Shame about the CT really, getting a bit long in the tooth but a good starter model for the brand, UX is considerably more expensive and not everyone wants a mini SUV. With the introduction of the ES and UX in the last year or two the lineup was getting a bit big but I'm not sure they are going to end up with a range that covers what the UK market actually wants.

• Like 1

The loss of the IS is a shame, but one assumes they've made the judgement that the cost of configuration for the UK market vs low expected sales isn't worth the cost and / or effort.

Honda made a similar decision in 2015/16 when they opted not to import a new Accord.

The issue for me is that this type of decision doesn't inspire brand longevity. Ideally you want cars in the range that customers can trade up and down through, as well as buy for their children, second cars etc. The range will be just too limited to do that, and many will have no option but to look elsewhere. I suppose they may be thinking that Toyota offer such options, but the 'image conscious' buyer probably won't go for that.

However, what we need to look out for is the impact of leaving the EU on the big German manufacturers. Hopefully Lexus can adapt this decision in the event German cars suddenly become more expensive due to import tariffs. We will see.

Yes, Lexus UK was already a niche market, now it’s going to be even more so.  Is the UX going to be the cheapest car they will sell?  For many people the UX is too small (boot especially) and too expensive. The smallest saloon will now be the ES but be prepared to wait for it - 6 months or more.  The cheapest coupe will be the RCF, assuming it will still be sold.  

58 minutes ago, Habu said:

Yes, Lexus UK was already a niche market, now it’s going to be even more so.  Is the UX going to be the cheapest car they will sell?  For many people the UX is too small (boot especially) and too expensive. The smallest saloon will now be the ES but be prepared to wait for it - 6 months or more.  The cheapest coupe will be the RCF, assuming it will still be sold.  

You are right Peter, but we should not overlook the fabulous new Corolla Hybrid which will offer much of what the IS did/does.

I wonder what will happen to the dealers. Do you really need 46 dealerships to sell 16/17,000 cars? Maybe Toyota will do thesame what i see happening in Europe, Lexus will stop having independent dealers and incorporate them into the Toyota dealers?

27 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You are right Peter, but we should not overlook the fabulous new Corolla Hybrid which will offer much of what the IS did/does.

Or a new Camry! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I briefly considered the new Corolla but went for a second CT instead. The new Corolla is way too expensive for what it offers (especially the new 2 litre), they didn’t even include apple Car Play in the UK at launch despite it being a new model. 

I’m not planning to change cars soon but I’ll have to leave Lexus if they only offer SUVs and cars costing 10k more than the CT does. If only they would get the new 2l hybrid in the CT and give it a refreshed infotainment system it would properly compete with the BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class. As said above they risk losing the gateway models into the brand.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

I wonder what will happen to the dealers. Do you really need 46 dealerships to sell 16/17,000 cars? Maybe Toyota will do thesame what i see happening in Europe, Lexus will stop having independent dealers and incorporate them into the Toyota dealers?

Sales have traditionally been around 10,000 a year for the last decade or so with that many dealers, and last year it was nearly 16,000, so I don't see any reason why the number would be reduced, or that they go back to a Toyota/Lexus dealership model that they initially started with 25+ years ago.

1 hour ago, colin79666 said:

The new Corolla is way too expensive for what it offers

Same could be said for every new vehicle. List prices have been sky rocketing for the last 10 years as vehicle leasing with ever increasing terms hides that price and fleet purchases are massively discounted to keep them happy.

• Like 2

I think it's a mistake for Lexus not bringing the IS here, the ES is nice but the engine choice is too limited with only a 2.5 hybrid sure is good for what it is but what if I want something bit more power or a V6 ? Like when the GS was offered with a 3.5 hybrid even though not many were sold compared to the GS300h. I wonder if there be a next gen RC coupe or if Lexus meant is being dropped because there not replacing it or simply (like the new IS) we also miss out on a new one !! Shame as I did consider (still am) a coupe as next car - well hello Toyota GT86 which a mk2 is confirmed along with the Subaru one - unless of course Toyota/Subaru make a bad decision of not bringing the next gen GT86/BRZ here !! As for the CT, this model is quite old compared to all other Lexus's so I guess that's not being replaced ? Why update or replace something and not bring to UK/Europe ? As the CT sells very well here.

17 hours ago, ghost_killer said:

think it's a mistake for Lexus not bringing the IS here, the ES is nice but the engine choice is too limited with only a 2.5 hybrid sure is good for what it is but what if I want something bit more power or a V6 ?

I don't disagree there should be more engine choice, but you don't get any additional choice with the IS in the model range, it would still be a 2.5l 4 cylinder hybrid.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:35 AM, dutchie01 said:

They seem to be already doing this with the dealer I use.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, Habu said:

I was at my local centre today and I was told that the CT, IS and RC are getting dropped from the lineup this September.  I’m maybe not surprised by the CT but the others?!?  Shame we’ll not be getting the new MY21 IS as it looks very good.

Does that imply that not only the current CT is being dropped, but that the rumoured 2021 or 2022 CT won't be coming here either? Seems likely any new CT will have full BEV version which could be a good seller. 

22 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Does that imply that not only the current CT is being dropped, but that the rumoured 2021 or 2022 CT won't be coming here either? Seems likely any new CT will have full BEV version which could be a good seller. 

Dealer didn’t say, only that the current CT was being dropped from September.  I really don’t know what Lexus’ plans are but the model range is becoming very limited.  Going forward, for the time begin anyway it’ll presumably just be UX, NX, ES, RX, LC and LS.  I don’t know what the plans are for selling the RC-F here if the standard RC is being dropped.

Lexus appears to be re-assessing several of its European operations.  It had, for example, quit the Danish market five or six years ago because of low sales but is now rumoured to be planning to open up again, supposedly with its own showrooms but with servicing shared with Toyota.

The CT has already been withdrawn from North America. My wife had two and they are lovely cars, but I could never really see them challenging the A3 or 1-series.

I am sorry the IS is not coming to Europe at all by the sound of it, but that too is probably inevitable after the withdrawal of the Avensis too. Clearly the “small” saloon is simply not where Toyota/Lexus sees profit to be made in the next decade or so. This certainly carries a risk, however - it was the 3rd gen IS which brought me to the brand and I thought it was a terrific car. 

Having the UX as the cheapest model will make the brand hard to access but, arguably, therefore also more premium. There are deals to be had on them and you have to remember even the base spec is terrific - my wife’s is base plus premium pack and there is very little you miss.

Time will tell!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I own a CT as a second car to the GS F and having driven several UX models as courtesy cars, I was actually disappointed about the UX interior not feeling as premium as the CT.  Maybe they were just a low-spec UXs.

I agree with the comments above - the relatively high UX starting price compared to the CT will put off many potential entrants to the Lexus brand.

The interior (especially the door cards) is disappointing for a car at this price.  The Takumi is about £41k for goodness sake and has the same cheap plastic door cards.  My ES Takumi wasn’t much more money but has so much more in every respect.  My wife’s new Mazda CX-30 GT Sport Tech (top of the range) was about £30k.  Quality and tech-wise is on a par with my ES.  Would I pay £11k more for the UX over the superb CX-30?  Absolutely not.

2 hours ago, Beduffshirl said:

I've tried to find any news items with this but can't see anything? Is it official?

I believe it is but I’ve not seen anything printed to the same.

1 hour ago, Habu said:

My wife’s new Mazda CX-30 GT Sport Tech (top of the range) was about £30k.  Quality and tech-wise is on a par with my ES.  Would I pay £11k more for the UX over the superb CX-30?  Absolutely not.

But a comparable CX-30 isn't £30k it is £34.6k once you add on 4WD and an auto gearbox. It's residuals aren't as good, nor is the economy so over a few year they are almost the same cost to own.

The CX-30 compares to the Toyota C-HR with the 2l engine that the UX has. But the again the Toyota has better residuals, better economy and performance.

I popped down my local dealership today. They've relegated the IS to the back yard where a load of 69 plates are lying their forlornly at heavily discounted prices. I think the opposition have absolutely taken them to the cleaners where finance and blingy tech is king and 3 year ownership forgoes any notion of reliability.  

The front is full of SUV's, obviously this is the future- just not for me.

• Thanks 1

totally correct Doog and thesame for whatever brand. You would not believe the discounts on large saloon cars, the more expensive the bigger the discounts as these just dont shift at all. Think of Audi A8/BMW 7 etc. Dealers are forced to display them in the showrooms by the manufacturers but for instance the X5 is the new 5 series. Friend of mine just leased a brandnew BM 850 series coupe for thesame monthly rate as his 540 estate!