Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus UK dropping models this September

Habu

16 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

But a comparable CX-30 isn't £30k it is £34.6k once you add on 4WD and an auto gearbox. It's residuals aren't as good, nor is the economy so over a few year they are almost the same cost to own.

The CX-30 compares to the Toyota C-HR with the 2l engine that the UX has. But the again the Toyota has better residuals, better economy and performance.

I paid exactly £30k for the wife’s GT Sport Tech auto so it’s still at least £10k difference to me.  She doesn’t need 4WD.  Over the 2 years she’ll have the Mazda it would would need to be heavily drinking petrol to offset the difference with the UX but she averages around 42mpg as the CX-30 is both a mild hybrid and has cylinder deactivation so its fuel economy is pretty good for what it is. Even with potentially worse residuals than the UX, around £10k is still too big a difference for me to consider the UX.  I’m not knocking the UX at all but its starting price is practically what we paid for the top spec auto CX-30 which, for me, makes it a no-brainer especially considering the Mazda’s very classy interior and much larger boot.  We ruled out the CH-R for its interior styling which we didn’t like but I dare say people will rule out the Mazda for its styling. People want different things in their cars.  My wife wanted lots tech and safety features like large infotainment screen, large HUD, RCTA-B, FCTA-B, BSM, LKA, 360 cameras, good sound system and a good sized boot.  Over 2 years she’ll do about 7000 miles so MPG isn’t too important so long as it’s not diabolical.  

15 hours ago, doog442 said:

I popped down my local dealership today. They've relegated the IS to the back yard where a load of 69 plates are lying their forlornly at heavily discounted prices. I think the opposition have absolutely taken them to the cleaners where finance and blingy tech is king and 3 year ownership forgoes any notion of reliability.  

The front is full of SUV's, obviously this is the future- just not for me.

My local centre is the same.  Showroom is just UX x3, ES, NX and RX-L.  No sign of IS, RC or CT.  Ok, the CT is getting a bit long in the tooth but it was the car that got me into the Lexus brand having been a Toyota driver for the previous 6 cars - 3x Prius, 2x Gen 7 Celicas  (one very modded) and a modded GT86.

I think the RC is stunning (one the finest looking coupes in its price range) but I never see one on the road.  Are people put off by the hybrid powertrain?  

My centre said the ES is outselling the IS by 2:1 and spec-for-spec the ES isn’t too much more money.  The IS Takumi @£43k, ES Takumi @45.6k.  

I will probably stick with Lexus for now as I love the brand exclusivity, centre experience, reliability, build quality plus lots of standard tech.  I may go for another ES after my current one and then probably back to a SUV.

The IS and CT have already been removed from Lexus Ireland (not sure about the RC).

To be honest, I went in in July to replace my NX with an IS and came away with an ES; once finance calculations come in, they are clearly trying to promote the latter so if anything they emerge cheaper (new, anyway).

It's anyone's guess what the future holds. I'm not sure anyone really saw the emergence of SUVs (electric vehicles were maybe a little more predictable); ten years from now we'll be all autonomous driving and perhaps even a different more temporary style of leasing. Lexus' objective in the UK and Ireland, as ever, will be to be niche rather than mass sales no doubt.

2 hours ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

The IS and CT have already been removed from Lexus Ireland (not sure about the RC).

To be honest, I went in in July to replace my NX with an IS and came away with an ES; once finance calculations come in, they are clearly trying to promote the latter so if anything they emerge cheaper (new, anyway).

It's anyone's guess what the future holds. I'm not sure anyone really saw the emergence of SUVs (electric vehicles were maybe a little more predictable); ten years from now we'll be all autonomous driving and perhaps even a different more temporary style of leasing. Lexus' objective in the UK and Ireland, as ever, will be to be niche rather than mass sales no doubt.

CT sells very well in UK and Europe more so than USA hence why they dropped it few years ago out there, I think if they replaced the CT then UK and Europe will get it for sure - there had been rumours of a all new CT from few sources in recent years some say it may be all electric or atleast a option of one. Shame the new (facelift) IS isn't coming to UK/Europe.

Interestingly (according to C&D & maybe other sources) the next gen Mazda 6 will switch to RWD and option of straight 6, now I always liked the look of the Mazda 6 even the current one and if the latter is true, RWD and straight 6 - Hello Mazda bye bye Lexus ! https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32109038/mazda-6-rwd-confirmed-2022/

I did remember last year some where that also mentioned this but they also mentioned the next RC is to also share platforms and engines with the Mazda 6 (which is not even mentioned on that C&D article)  - question is would Mazda UK give us option of a straight 6 or would be only be offered the lesser performance ones or would Mazda deny us the next gen 6 all together !! I do like the ES I think it's a lovely car but I do think we need atleast another choice of engine too.

Before I purchased my UX I went in expecting to drive out in an IS300h. In the end, the IS' interior and tech was a noticeable drop after test-driving the UX, and you could tell that it was an old platform in serious need of a refresh in order to remain competitive. When I then found out that it was being discontinued, with a new car about to be announced for other markets, I wasn't surprised either. Saloon sales are down, especially in the UK, and homologating an EU-spec version with right-hand drive for just one questionable market probably didn't make commercial sense.

Still, it's a same. Given the choice between a slightly jacked-up hatchback and a saloon, I'd take the saloon every day. But I'm still very much enjoying my UX, and there are advantages to the hatchback form factor that I'm enjoying. As for the CT...I can't say I was impressed with the one I had as a loan car for a week. Putting performance aside for a moment, the technology and interior really date the car, and a refresh was long overdue. An easy solution would seem to be lowing the UX and getting rid of the black plastic cladding - that's about all it would take to turn it into a regular hatchback! 😄

Just sparing a thought for the RC, if indeed it does get pulled next month.  I recall it was launched around the same time as the NX, and in that parallel universe where I didn't need to buy a family sized vehicle, I'd have bought an RC300h like a shot.  It's a gorgeous piece of styling imho, and, in terms of distinctiveness, I've seen more Ferraris than RCs around Yorkshire in the last few years. The sporty pretensions of its competitors (though I'm not sure it really had any close competitors) probably made it even more vulnerable than other Lexus models to motoring journalists' congenital inability to understand hybrid drivetrains.  RIP.

i saw a brandnew RC300 F sport hybrid today white with black carbon roof and bonnet and oh wow did it look special. I know i should have taken a picture but sorry i forgot. it was parked in an ocean of grey and silver tin boxes and looked more exotic than a ferrari. it looks three times the price and i just hope they keep it going for some time 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

i saw a brandnew RC300 F sport hybrid today white with black carbon roof and bonnet and oh wow did it look special. I know i should have taken a picture but sorry i forgot. it was parked in an ocean of grey and silver tin boxes and looked more exotic than a ferrari. it looks three times the price and i just hope they keep it going for some time 

You’re right, it looks amazing (particularly the outside) but then the only engine option being the 2.5 L4 hybrid probably puts people off.  It was a pity not to have the option of the 3.5 V6. The car was already engineered to use that smooth V6.

I’m not sure where Lexus are going at the moment (obviously electric in the future) if they are planning to ditch the CT, IS and RC.  They must have a lot of faith in the UX and ES.

I expect them to go for what the market is asking for only, crossovers and SUV s. This seems already in progress, so LBX ( below ux small crossover maybe replacement of CT,)  UX, NX ( new one coming soon) RX, RZ ( new crossover coupe ) LX and the LF1 the new large SUV  which seems to be the flagship.