Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid system on prius/ct200 & NX300

I have had 2 toyota Prius and 1 x CT200 is there a difference with the Hybrid system , why do the CT200 & Prius have a small gear & the NX have what looks like a normal automatic gear box lever

2 hours ago, Whites said:

I have had 2 toyota Prius and 1 x CT200 is there a difference with the Hybrid system , why do the CT200 & Prius have a small gear & the NX have what looks like a normal automatic gear box lever

The Prius and CT share the same engine, and transmission. The NX uses a very similar system in principle, but has the ability to hold selected apparent gear ratios although in practice only has one gear.

John.

The Prius was always designed to be different/futuristic so had a very different gear selector than conventional vehicles. The Auris/CT200 get most of their components from the Prius - cost saving if nothing else.

The larger hybrid vehicles are made to look and feel like conventional vehicles to appeal to the broader market - hence you have a much more conventional gear shift and as John has mentioned above they now try and replicate the driving experience of a normal automatic by having 'gears' - probably to appeal to the motoring journalists that consistently object to the CVT hybrid transmission.