Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

8 minutes ago, Andy B said:

That's interesting. 

Was there anything in the 1140 changelog to suggest that it would enable map updates directly?

Sorry I realise my post above isn’t clear. 
The OTA nav updates are mentioned (only briefly) in the retrofit instruction. 

The 1140 software was just some bug fixes. 

3 hours ago, pobrown said:

Just installed the update on my NX.  A bit long winded with the multiple USB sticks but every went according to play.  Took just over 90 mins in total.

Great! What is download size of these packages so it needs 3 USB sticks? 

Regarding 1140 update, you did it after Carplay update right?

The instructions state that you need an 8, 16 and 32GB stick. 
Yes I applied the 1140 update after the CarPlay update. No idea if actually necessary but it is a higher version number for the MEU. 

7 minutes ago, pobrown said:

The instructions state that you need an 8, 16 and 32GB stick. 
Yes I applied the 1140 update after the CarPlay update. No idea if actually necessary but it is a higher version number for the MEU. 

Ok, but when you downloaded what is the package size totally showing on your PC? How big is that?

1 minute ago, pobrown said:

Here is a screenshot showing the sizes of the downloaded ZIP files and there sizes once unzipped

252744209_Screenshot2020-09-18at22_45_28.thumb.png.31f28246ef6860ba68ec42454cf5d321.png

Thank you! It will take some time to download so safely need to buy a longer subscription.

2 hours ago, pobrown said:

You also get a message telling you that you have upgraded when you first access this screen:

1235663117_2020-09-1820_41_18.thumb.jpg.fa3bf235f384618217c6e3a57692b07c.jpg

I just did the up date to 1140, but I didn't get the above notification. 

When I checked history it confirmed everything installed fine. 

Phil,

You do Yorkshire Proud as I have to work with my Dealer who you put to shame.

Assume you place your phone on the Charger & connect to the USB underneath to access CarPlay via the Nav Screen which is perfect.?

Only last week I was told by my Dealer NX Car Play has yet to be released by Europe & the update for my MLS did not exist !

Tel

10 hours ago, jbi507 said:

I just did the up date to 1140, but I didn't get the above notification. 

When I checked history it confirmed everything installed fine. 

I think the retrofit notification is part of the retrofit upgrade and not the 1140 software.  However, the first time I accessed the Lexus Online part of my system was after I'd done the 1140 upgrade (and connected to my WiFi)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tel said:

Phil,

You do Yorkshire Proud as I have to work with my Dealer who you put to shame.

Assume you place your phone on the Charger & connect to the USB underneath to access CarPlay via the Nav Screen which is perfect.?

Only last week I was told by my Dealer NX Car Play has yet to be released by Europe & the update for my MLS did not exist !

Tel

Thanks for the complement 🙂

I wouldn't be too hard on your dealer - there have been a few posts floating around saying that the official release date for this update is October once the dealers have been trained.  I know that the mechanics spend most of their time dealing the physical / greasy / oily parts of the vehicles - I doubt many of them thought they would have to become experts in technology when they became mechanics.  I doubt the dealers are checking the Lexus-tech website daily unlike geeks like me.

To use CarPlay just connect a USB cable to one for the sockets in the arm rest.  The phone doesn't actually need to be on the wireless charger (I don't have one anyway) as the phone will get power down the cable.  Once connected 'apple CarPlay' is then an option when you press the menu button for the Nav system.  Later today I'm going to try a wireless adaptor I have purchased - this will hopefully allow CarPlay to function without requiring me to plug the cable in each time.  I've seen positive and negative reviews of the unit I've purchased so I'll have to see how it goes...

14 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

So, sorry guys, for clarity, 1440 to be done first or afterwards, or doesn't it matter? 

You mean 1140 - it is after the CarPlay upgrade. It shouldn’t even work before the upgrade as the model number of your system will be different at that point. The retrofit changes the model number of both the DCU (Audio) and MEU (Navigation). 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pobrown said:

You mean 1140 - it is after the CarPlay upgrade. It shouldn’t even work before the upgrade as the model number of your system will be different at that point. The retrofit changes the model number of both the DCU (Audio) and MEU (Navigation). 

Oops, 1140. "For clarity" 🙄

Understood, cheers for that 👍

3 hours ago, pobrown said:

To use CarPlay just connect a USB cable to one for the sockets in the arm rest.  The phone doesn't actually need to be on the wireless charger (I don't have one anyway) as the phone will get power down the cable.  Once connected 'Apple CarPlay' is then an option when you press the menu button for the Nav system.  Later today I'm going to try a wireless adaptor I have purchased - this will hopefully allow CarPlay to function without requiring me to plug the cable in each time.  I've seen positive and negative reviews of the unit I've purchased so I'll have to see how it goes...

Yes! Let us know about the wireless adapter, I am looking for same. Thank you for all job you are doing here.

43 minutes ago, bartolini9 said:

Yes! Let us know about the wireless adapter, I am looking for same. Thank you for all job you are doing here.

Just tried the wireless adapter. A bit fiddly to setup at first due to the way the remote touch controller interfaces with the setup screen, but once running appears to work well. 
Just been for a 20 min trip and Google Maps and my music ran perfectly. 

• Like 1

Just got back in after successfully updating my system to MM19. Process went smoothly and as described in the TSB notes, albeit a bit nerve-wracking at times :scared:. You really need to be on the ball and have prepared well.

Now happily running Android Auto with all functions (e.g. audio; steering wheel controls; voice controls; etc.) appearing to be working.

Thanks to @pobrown @jbi507 and the other trailblazers for taking the plunge; sharing their experience and giving me the courage to do mine.

Disclaimer:- although the upgrade worked OK for me, I'm not encouraging anyone else to do the same. People need to gauge their confidence in the whole process (file collation; USB preparation; installation) before attempting it. Also, there is a report of a failure in another related thread:-

• Like 2

Just got back in after successfully updating my system to MM19. Process went smoothly and as described in the TSB notes, albeit a bit nerve-wracking at times scared.gif. You really need to be on the ball and have prepared well.
Now happily running Android Auto with all functions (e.g. audio; steering wheel controls; voice controls; etc.) appearing to be working.
Thanks to [mention=6253]pobrown[/mention] [mention=7315]jbi507[/mention] and the other trailblazers for taking the plunge; sharing their experience and giving me the courage to do mine.
Disclaimer:- although the upgrade worked OK for me, I'm not encouraging anyone else to do the same. People need to gauge their confidence in the whole process (file collation; USB preparation; installation) before attempting it. Also, there is a report of a failure in another related thread:-

Totally agree Andy B. Thanks for all the trailblazers and pioneers to give me the confidence to update mine. All went well no problems. That was before I read Andy B links to the problems others encountered. Pretty sure I would have bottled it I'd read the problems before starting.

Quick question. My map db is showing 2018 v2. Is that out of date and do I need to update anyone know? I tend to still rely on inbuilt satnav for short local trips and pulling out googlemap for longer trips for traffic.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your maps are three generations out of date. 
The update to 2020v1 is free so you have nothing to lose. However 2020v2 will probably be released around November so you could just wait a bit longer. The update takes around 70mins (once downloaded and copied to USB) so you wait not want to do it twice so close together. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links