Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

On 10/5/2020 at 2:31 PM, Tel said:

Now cannot wait for my NX to be up-graded later this month.

My Lexus Centre are now reporting that the apple CarPlay retrofit has gone back to the end of November or early December.  Cost will be £96 including VAT.

I still believe the Retrofit is imminent because the Dealers need the work & the software is readily available as proved by Phil.

Assume because my USB port is under my Charging Tray, underneath my armrest, I will have no wire exposure as in the ES model.

In my ignorance,I believed Factory fitted Aps were Bluetooth driven which is clearly not the case & therefore the USB position is crucial.

Tel

3 hours ago, Tel said:

I still believe the Retrofit is imminent because the Dealers need the work & the software is readily available as proved by Phil.

Assume because my USB port is under my Charging Tray, underneath my armrest, I will have no wire exposure as in the ES model.

In my ignorance,I believed Factory fitted Aps were Bluetooth driven which is clearly not the case & therefore the USB position is crucial.

Tel

Please let me know when yours is done so I can go back and say other centres are now fitting it.  I'd rather have it sooner rather than later.

What's USB position and visible cables got to do with retrofitting AC and AA?  

The retro fit works very well on android using the USB connex under the armrest and just laying the phone in the charging tray. If I change to Iphone I'll get an apple carplay device to use in the car as a WiFi connection between the phone and my NX..  so either way, so much easier now modified.. so are the dealers starting to carry out retrofits yet?

14 hours ago, Habu said:

My Lexus Centre are now reporting that the Apple CarPlay retrofit has gone back to the end of November or early December.  Cost will be £96 including VAT.

2 hours ago, Habu said:

Please let me know when yours is done so I can go back and say other centres are now fitting it.  I'd rather have it sooner rather than later.

What's USB position and visible cables got to do with retrofitting AC and AA?  

2 hours ago, Ed659 said:

The retro fit works very well on android using the USB connex under the armrest and just laying the phone in the charging tray. If I change to iPhone I'll get an apple carplay device to use in the car as a WiFi connection between the phone and my NX..  so either way, so much easier now modified.. so are the dealers starting to carry out retrofits yet?

I am supposed to be getting my apple Carplay fitted w/c 19th October; again i am due a call from Lexus Nottingham this Wednesday coming to book in.

It will be interesting to see if it happens with the comment previously about it being pushed back til end of November + , as i spoke to them midweek and no mention of push back....

I don't know about the Lexus service centres, I downloaded it off the Lexus Tech Site and did it myself a two or three weeks ago.

I'm surprised some dealers appear to be saying not available until November?  I'd have thought they'd be cashing in £££ by now.. 

I would guess they are waiting further information on how to fix units that fail the upgrade.  A number of users on here have had the update fail despite following the instructions exactly.  I doubt dealers will want angry customers and/or the costs of replacing the hardware.  

The instructions on the tech site have been updated twice since I did my upgrade, but they only appear to have added some clarity in some places (eg: what Nav version you need before doing the update) and there appear to be a few more 'Caution' notices regarding not switching off the engine or removing the USB sticks.

30 minutes ago, Ed659 said:

I don't know about the Lexus service centres, I downloaded it off the Lexus Tech Site and did it myself a two or three weeks ago.

I'm surprised some dealers appear to be saying not available until November?  I'd have thought they'd be cashing in £££ by now.. 

Don’t think they’ll be making a tonne of money. It’s 90 minutes labour for something that is charged at 1 hours labour.  Granted, the service department will be doing other things whilst the software is downloading on your car but I can’t see them raking in the £££ doing this.

8 minutes ago, pobrown said:

I would guess they are waiting further information on how to fix units that fail the upgrade.  A number of users on here have had the update fail despite following the instructions exactly.  I doubt dealers will want angry customers and/or the costs of replacing the hardware.  

The instructions on the tech site have been updated twice since I did my upgrade, but they only appear to have added some clarity in some places (eg: what Nav version you need before doing the update) and there appear to be a few more 'Caution' notices regarding not switching off the engine or removing the USB sticks.

I think you’re spot on with your first paragraph.  Some centres may feel more comfortable and crack on in October but mine were adamant it’ll be late November or early December.

4 hours ago, pobrown said:

would guess they are waiting further information on how to fix units that fail the upgrade

Looking at the tech site there seems to be an update to the files we installed in early September. So maybe they are waiting to iron out the bugs first. 

Quick question for those who have installed and running android auto and have waze installed. Is waze showing as an option? I can't seem to enable it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi there.

Waze doesn't show by default in Android Auto. You need to enable "Developer mode" in the Android Auto settings for it to show in your "launcher". Full instructions can be found here:-

https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/9008705?hl=en

Hint:- you don't necessarily need to be sitting in the car with the connection to Android Auto to access the settings. You can this do from anywhere by doing the following:-

1. Go to Settings on your phone
  2. scroll down to "Google" and select it
  3. Next, select "Device connections"
  4. Then select "Android Auto"

As the above website says - tap the Version number 10 times to enable Developer mode.

Hope this helps.

Edit:- you might need to also enable "Unknown sources" (although I didn't in my case). This can be done by selecting the three dots in the top right hand corner of the Settings screen and then selecting "Developer settings". This will take you to the Advanced settings.

Hi there.
Waze doesn't show by default in Android Auto. You need to enable "Developer mode" in the Android Auto settings for it to show in your "launcher". Full instructions can be found here:-
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/9008705?hl=en
Hint:- you don't necessarily need to be sitting in the car with the connection to Android Auto to access the settings. You can this do from anywhere by doing the following:-
  1. Go to Settings on your phone
  2. scroll down to "Google" and select it
  3. Next, select "Device connections"
  4. Then select "Android Auto"
As the above website says - tap the Version number 10 times to enable Developer mode.
Hope this helps.
Edit:- you might need to also enable "Unknown sources" (although I didn't in my case). This can be done by selecting the three dots in the top right hand corner of the Settings screen and then selecting "Developer settings". This will take you to the Advanced settings.
Thanks Andy B. Enabled it now just need to check if it works later. All I can ask is why make it so difficult!!!!

Just an update all working now. Was driving me nuts trying to figure this one out and countless googling yielded no results. Should have come here first! Thanks again Andy much appreciated

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The best Nav feature I have on my car is the HUD.

Assume if I have the apple Car Play the Hud Nav System will still work but is this correct please?

Tel

40 minutes ago, Tel said:

The best Nav feature I have on my car is the HUD.

Assume if I have the Apple Car Play the Hud Nav System will still work but is this correct please?

Tel

The recent-ish update to CarPlay allowed the map to be displayed on more than one location - the one location currently being the infotainment screen.  The CarPlay software now permits multiple display options such as the HUD or things like the Audi display in front of the driver.  The onus is now on the car manufacturer to initialise this or not.

I love my HUD - all 10.2” of it - but I’ll only use CarPlay for messages and music and generally not Nav as I’ll miss the directional instructions in the HUD.  I even have the map instructions on for places I visit frequently or where I know the route inside out.

A car I’m going to look at this Sunday doesn’t come with HUD or ventilated seats and both of these are important to me so it would need to be really good elsewhere for me to consider it.  In the meantime my Lexus Centre has reserved an RX Takumi in my spec that’s currently on a boat sailing from Japan.  I need to decide by Sunday.  The boat lands in Bristol 3 weeks today.

• Like 1

I have rang Lexus & someone is going to come back to me with the answer as I too love the HUD Nav facility that is perfect for driving in busy City traffic.

Tel

4 minutes ago, Tel said:

I have rang Lexus & someone is going to come back to me with the answer as I too love the HUD Nav facility that is perfect for driving in busy City traffic.

Tel

Fingers crossed, Tel but I’m not hopeful given how late to the party Lexus were with AA and AC.  Would you use AC for Nav if no instructions were available in the HUD or just resort to the original Lexus system for Nav?

Here's a question - I've got the 10" screen in my UX and am getting the CarPlay upgrade next week. Will I be able to still run the main screen in split-screen mode, with the hybrid/battery info in the small panel and the map on the large panel? Or does CarPlay take over the entire screen no matter what? That would be a drag...

Nick

14 minutes ago, EvilRacer329 said:

Here's a question - I've got the 10" screen in my UX and am getting the CarPlay upgrade next week. Will I be able to still run the main screen in split-screen mode, with the hybrid/battery info in the small panel and the map on the large panel? Or does CarPlay take over the entire screen no matter what? That would be a drag...

Nick

Hi Nick, hope you don't mind me asking but are you getting it installed on your UX at your local Lexus as mine (Nottingham) is still saying its not available?

That's right - I'm booked in with Milton Keynes Lexus for next friday. It sounds like I'll be one of the first one they do, but I've been hounding them since I picked up the car in July and they're trying to resolve an issue with the telematics system as well, so I'm at the top of their list.

Nick

24 minutes ago, EvilRacer329 said:

Nick

CarPlay takes over the whole screen.  It’s one or the other I’m afraid.