Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

25 minutes ago, EvilRacer329 said:

That's right - I'm booked in with Milton Keynes Lexus for next friday. It sounds like I'll be one of the first one they do, but I've been hounding them since I picked up the car in July and they're trying to resolve an issue with the telematics system as well, so I'm at the top of their list.

Nick

Cheers, Nick, appreciated. I'm interested as I am 'top' of list as moment also,as i have some outstanding issues too and sort of feel like i am being fobbed off. You would think it is either available or it's not, i.e. not only to certain garages! Keep well, Simon

Thanks, Habu. Damn. I guess I'll have to decide what's more important. I guess that means you also lose features like the scheduled auto-navigate?

Sumospin - I believe it's a phased rollout across the UK, it's apparently super easy for mechanics to get it wrong and brick the entire infotainment system, so maybe Lexus is waiting to see what happens with the first few workshops?

Nick

• Like 1

You can program the built-in sat-nav to assume you are heading to work or home from work at certain times of day. So if I get in the car at certain times in the morning, it'll automatically plot a route to the office. Similarly, when I hop back in at the end of the day, it offers to plot me a route home. Very handy, but arguably only necessary because it's so awkward to plot routes in the GPS manually!

Nick

From the above,I conclude the Lexus apple Car Play System does not integrate with my HUD so I will end-up with a Twin Navigation System.

I assume Factory Installations that have both facilities are fully integrated as both are key Safety Features allowing the driver to fully concentrate on the road ahead.

Tel

22 hours ago, Habu said:

The recent-ish update to CarPlay allowed the map to be displayed on more than one location - the one location currently being the infotainment screen.  The CarPlay software now permits multiple display options such as the HUD or things like the Audi display in front of the driver.  The onus is now on the car manufacturer to initialise this or not.

I love my HUD - all 10.2” of it - but I’ll only use CarPlay for messages and music and generally not Nav as I’ll miss the directional instructions in the HUD.  I even have the map instructions on for places I visit frequently or where I know the route inside out.

A car I’m going to look at this Sunday doesn’t come with HUD or ventilated seats and both of these are important to me so it would need to be really good elsewhere for me to consider it.  In the meantime my Lexus Centre has reserved an RX Takumi in my spec that’s currently on a boat sailing from Japan.  I need to decide by Sunday.  The boat lands in Bristol 3 weeks today.

Interestingly I’ve been told my RX Takumi is also arriving in 3 weeks time. I can’t wait hopefully all the apple CarPlay software will have been installed from the factory. 

1 hour ago, Fatts said:

Interestingly I’ve been told my RX Takumi is also arriving in 3 weeks time. I can’t wait hopefully all the Apple CarPlay software will have been installed from the factory. 

Almost certainly will be on the same boat.  It lands on Friday 13 November!  If I push the button tomorrow to get the car (it’s on reserve for me until mid Monday morning) then I’ll find out which boat it’s on.

Yes, AC and AA are factory fitted for MY20 RX models.

What colour and trim are you going for?

8 hours ago, Tel said:

From the above,I conclude the Lexus Apple Car Play System does not integrate with my HUD so I will end-up with a Twin Navigation System.

I assume Factory Installations that have both facilities are fully integrated as both are key Safety Features allowing the driver to fully concentrate on the road ahead.

Tel

I wouldn't count on it. apple CarPlay/Android Auto are just smartphone mirroring options that allow you to run any apps that the phone deems suitable. Lexus and Google aren't working directly together to pull just Google Maps into the HUD, though the extra-screen mirroring feature offers some hope that Google could add that functionality.

Legally, I don't think Lexus have any obligation though. 😕

Nick

The apple Car, Android Auto upgrade was a condition of my RX purchase last November and, having been "promised" it early in the new year, then May, then September, I'm beginning to lose faith in what Lexus say! It'll be interesting to actually hear from someone who's had their 2019 RX upgraded. AC/AA work brilliantly in my wife's new Jazz especially as you can now use What Three Words to navigate and that App automatically transfers the route into Google Maps.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, Habu said:

Almost certainly will be on the same boat.  It lands on Friday 13 November!  If I push the button tomorrow to get the car (it’s on reserve for me until mid Monday morning) then I’ll find out which boat it’s on.

Yes, AC and AA are factory fitted for MY20 RX models.

What colour and trim are you going for?

Hi Habu, I ordered the Takumi in Sonic Titanium. The interior is Ochre leather 

20 minutes ago, Fatts said:

Hi Habu, I ordered the Takumi in Sonic Titanium. The interior is Ochre leather 

I pushed the button today for an RX Takumi in Sonic Titanium (I’ve had the colour before on an NX) with rich cream leather and dark brown shimamoku inlays (same as my current ES).  Hopefully should find out the boat details over the next day or so so I can track it.

2 hours ago, Tel said:

Lexus have told me that A.C. Play will be linked to my HUD----excellent.

Tel

Really!?!  That would be a world first, I think, for AC to be mirrored on multiple displays. Brilliant if it happens but I’ll wait and see.  It doesn’t work like that in my wife’s Mazda nor an MY20 RX I had for a couple of days but🤞.

18 hours ago, Habu said:

I pushed the button today for an RX Takumi in Sonic Titanium (I’ve had the colour before on an NX) with rich cream leather and dark brown shimamoku inlays (same as my current ES).  Hopefully should find out the boat details over the next day or so so I can track it.

Apparently the one I reserved has just landed at Portbury Docks and is now in transit to my local-ish Lexus Centre.   Sooner than I thought.👍

On 10/25/2020 at 4:11 PM, pobrown said:

Interesting that you mention RX. 
The update files released so far have only been for NX/ES/UX.

I’ve not seen anyone with an RX upgrade, yet!

Sorry, autocorrect somehow substituted RX for NX!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, sumospim said:

Cheers, Nick, appreciated. I'm interested as I am 'top' of list as moment also,as i have some outstanding issues too and sort of feel like i am being fobbed off. You would think it is either available or it's not, i.e. not only to certain garages! Keep well, Simon

Hi NIck, how did the install go? I have mine booked in for the 16th Nov, or should i say, did have presumably with the impending lock down.....

All,

Just tried the Carplay update on NX300H 2018. 1st USB went well, 2nd USB update went well until asked to turn engine off and on.  Turned engine back on as per the instructions tried clicking on Menu ( Step 5 in the instructions ) and no response.  Turned of the engine off and on again - the system now keeps rebooting.  Anything I can do to resolve the issue?

Thanks.

That sounds like bad news, shanks - my Lexus dealer even said they'd been warned to be super careful or they risked bricking the entire entertainment system. Fingers crossed it's something your dealer can fix cheaply!

Sumo - it was a full four-hour appointment, but that included my dealer washing my car. It looks and runs great, but no second-screen on the dashboard. No HUD on my car, so I can't confirm if that does anything or not, but I'm not optimistic...

Nick

8 hours ago, EvilRacer329 said:

That sounds like bad news, shanks - my Lexus dealer even said they'd been warned to be super careful or they risked bricking the entire entertainment system. Fingers crossed it's something your dealer can fix cheaply!

Sumo - it was a full four-hour appointment, but that included my dealer washing my car. It looks and runs great, but no second-screen on the dashboard. No HUD on my car, so I can't confirm if that does anything or not, but I'm not optimistic...

Nick

Cheers, Nick. I've just had confirmation mine is still on for the 16th, so am excited (not sure whether that is sad? :)). I do have HUD, so will keep all updated.

Simon

I really cannot see the CarPlay nav display being duplicated in either the TFT screen and/ or the HUD.  Whilst a recent update to CarPlay facilitated the nav mirroring to other displays - and not just the main infotainment screen - it’s down to each manufacturer to enable it.  So far, I’m not aware of any manufacturer doing this yet.  However, you never know.  Lexus might surprise us🙄.  They were after all, the first manufacturer to integrate a nav system into a car.

15 hours ago, EvilRacer329 said:

Nick

Thanks Nick.  The car is booked in with the dealer this Friday.  I'll provide an update.  The issue seems to be very similar to the one Lexus owners experienced in 2016 by US owners due to an OTA update.  Tried disconnecting the Battery at the back, as was advised for the 2016 issue.  Made no difference.  If I'm quick enough I can see that the update was applied "FB10" in Software Update screen.  Manjit

IMG_5181.jpg

Hi Nick,

Not good news.  The dealer tried doing a reset, they said it didn't work.  The dealer was then advised by Lexus to identify which the two units that make of the infotainment system is corrupt, which they did.  I'm having the corrupt component replaced tomorrow - lets just say I won't be doing an update like this again!!

Manjit

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links