Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

6 hours ago, takumi said:

After complaining, I have just had my Takumi software patched for Apple car play/Android after some major navigation system problems.

Lexus have told me that to use the software I need to hardwire my phone to the USB port in the centre console for this to work.

Try doing that on the move and you'll not only be breaking the law but will probably end up in a heap on the side of the road.

So having spent £47000 on this car I now have a nav system that is equivalent to a cigarette lighter plug-in.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction to Lexus who are doing the ritual denial, and attempting to throw the problem over the wall to the dealer who sold me the car.

I have told Lexus that the vehicle is not as described, not of satisfactory quality, and not fit for purpose, and requested that I return the vehicle and my money refunded. Lexus state this is not a reason to return the vehicle. My solicitor thinks otherwise.

I would be grateful for any heads-up on other customers who have had similar experiences.

My phone is always on the wireless charger in the centre console, with the Car Play update it's still in the centre console, just with a wire attached - I don't understand how this changes anything

• Like 1

Chuffed to bits with my Android Auto upgrade on my NX 2019. Having Google Maps displaying satellite view is fabulous. It suggests destinations based on where I've been before at similar times, and having to plug it in when I get in the car is simply not any sort of issue at all. Much prefer Google Maps to Waze (also owned by Google) as, like someone else has said, it is too cartoon like for me. Google Maps remains the original and best Android map system.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, EvilRacer329 said:

Case in point, I guess. Lexus aren't interested in doing the necessary work to offer a hardware/software upgrade for older cars. Fortunately, the after-market does seem to have stepped up here - a quick google search shows stuff like this: https://www.applecarplay.net/product-page/wireless-apple-carplay-lexus-nx-2014-2020

I'd investigated this back when I was looking into an IS300h, but fortunately for me I ended up with a 2019 UX instead which was upgraded by Lexus last month.

And yes - having a navigator control everything from the phone is very handy!

Nick

I have just heard back from these people.  They don't export, they only supply and fit locally.

Hopefully someone in the UK might come up with something.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, takumi said:

After complaining, I have just had my Takumi software patched for Apple car play/Android after some major navigation system problems.

Lexus have told me that to use the software I need to hardwire my phone to the USB port in the centre console for this to work.

Try doing that on the move and you'll not only be breaking the law but will probably end up in a heap on the side of the road.

So having spent £47000 on this car I now have a nav system that is equivalent to a cigarette lighter plug-in.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction to Lexus who are doing the ritual denial, and attempting to throw the problem over the wall to the dealer who sold me the car.

I have told Lexus that the vehicle is not as described, not of satisfactory quality, and not fit for purpose, and requested that I return the vehicle and my money refunded. Lexus state this is not a reason to return the vehicle. My solicitor thinks otherwise.

I would be grateful for any heads-up on other customers who have had similar experiences.

To put it bluntly Nigel, you are complaining over nothing.

Simply plug the phone in as you get in the car, before you move off, and there is no safety issue whatsoever.

Wireless charging can be problematic and inefficient so at least plugging in your phone will also make sure it's charging as you drive.

No, I'm afraid you have a non-problem here my friend.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Had mine android auto installed last week, the technician was at pains to tell me only the maps would work to manage my expectations however Spotify, WhatsApp etc all work as expected too. Gamechanger, my NX feels like it has just rolled off the production line.

• Like 1

Nice! I've been slowly exploring the rest of the functionality. On my UX with my Iphone i can hold down the voice command button on the steering wheel to trigger Apple's own virtual assistant and use it to make phone calls etc. So much better than the built-in Lexus version!

Worth exploring on the Android side too, I'd wager!

Nick

On 12/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, bluenose1940 said:

Anyone on here actually purchased and fitted one of these?

If so, was it fairly straightforward and was any import duty payable?

Retrofit CarPlay Lexus NX 2014 - 2020 | CarPlayTech (applecarplay.net)

Not sure if its the same device or source, but I asked the question a while ago:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/119460-apple-carplay-for-lexus-nx/?tab=comments#comment-1110613

23 hours ago, Tel said:

Siri is activated by Voice alone surely.

I just say "Hey Siri Go Home"

Tel

Hmm...I mean, maybe? I have that feature disabled because I don't want apple or anyone else listening in on my conversations, but it might work that way for others when in the car. It all depends on whether the system keeps the car's microphones live and listening the way it does the phone's own microphone...

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

2021 brings a new dawn to wifi connection for us Android / NX300h users..   I asked the manufacturers/ resellers of the apple CarPlay 2 device to let me know when an Android version were to be made available..     well hot off the cyber press I've just had a notification..  See this link..

https://cplay2air.com/products/carplay2air-wireless-adapter-for-android-head-units-android-auto-mirror-link

I've been using the CPLAY2air device with apple CarPlay for a few weeks now, so here's a bit of a review.

So far, it has successfully connected to my Iphone 12 every time. I've found it can take longer to connect sometimes, it can be a minute or more, but it's never failed to connect.

The sound quality is plenty good enough for a car system to my ears. I can't tell the difference between playing the same tracks through the CPLAY2air or from a directly connected USB key.

It seems to randomly decide whether to autoplay the current track the Music app or not when it connects. Sometimes it will pause it instead. I haven't found a pattern to this yet.

There is probably a tiny lag between trying to do something on the Lexus screen and the phone responding, but it doesn't make it more difficult to use, which is good.

I do get an occasional dropout in sound when using the Music app on the Iphone, but it doesn't happen often enough to irritate me. I haven't been able too find a pattern to it, except for when I put Google Maps into Satellite mode. It happened frequently then and then was okay when I turned it off again. It may therefore be linked to the amount of data that the CPLAY2air can transfer at any one time. I don't use that mode any more, which is a shame because it looks cool on the Lexus screen.

I had to reset the network connections on my Iphone due to a separate issue, so I thought I'd have to go through the connection process again. Fortunately I didn't, it connected straight away again.

I'm really pleased with it and for me it's worth the money to allow me to get in the car and have CarPlay just work.

19 hours ago, Ed659 said:

2021 brings a new dawn to wifi connection for us Android / NX300h users..   I asked the manufacturers/ resellers of the Apple CarPlay 2 device to let me know when an Android version were to be made available..     well hot off the cyber press I've just had a notification..  See this link..

https://cplay2air.com/products/carplay2air-wireless-adapter-for-android-head-units-android-auto-mirror-link

Hi @Ed659 I'm more than happy to be proven wrong here but I don't believe that this unit will give you the ability to use Android Auto wirelessly in your NX. It seems to me that this unit provides the functionality to run Apple CarPlay (wirelessly) through car head units that are running the Android operating system (there are quite of few of these units, especially in the after-market arena). It even states "Android Auto via cable". Again, happy to be proven wrong here and apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick as to what you are actually looking for.

As far as I know, there isn't anything currently on the market that offers wireless AA for head-units that don't have this capability "out of the box". As I've mentioned before there is however such a unit in development by a well-known and respected software engineer that is likely to be available in Q1 of 2021. The project is being financed via the Indiegogo crowd-funding website and seems to be well advanced in it's progress. Nothing very tangible has come of it yet, aside from the prototype review and initial builds\packaging, but I am confident enough in it's viability for me to have prepaid for one (£63 including P&P) which I hope to have in my hands by late March. Obviously people should weigh up how confident they feel about such "investments" and the project before parting with their hard-earned cash but here's the link for anyone interested:-

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless/#/

[NB - I have no financial or business interest in this project apart from helping to fund it's development]

Hope this helps.

I have been following this thread with interest and have discovered that I can't get apple CarPlay installed in my car and, the USA company that makes a unit that would help, only supplies and fits locally and won't get involved in exporting them.

We then have mention of 'Android Auto' and I start to become confused again!  And now, we have an interesting link provided by Andy B which confuses me even more.

Now as a reminder, I have a November 2014 NX300h Luxury with Convenience Pack.  Can I ask you more techie minded members, are either of the units mentioned by Eddie and Andy likely to work in my car please?

I don't know what 'Android Auto' is and neither do I know if it is fitted in my car and indeed, I have no idea exactly what is fitted in my car. I just know that if I press this button I get this, and if I press that button I get that but, as to what is behind those buttons 'I aint not got the foggiest, not no how I aint'😕

I just like having all the bells and whistles, even though it takes me an age to get to grips with them all.  I boobed when I bought this car because I thought I wouldn't miss what I had on my Premier IS.................but I do😞

39 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

I have been following this thread with interest and have discovered that I can't get Apple CarPlay installed in my car and, the USA company that makes a unit that would help, only supplies and fits locally and won't get involved in exporting them.

We then have mention of 'Android Auto' and I start to become confused again!  And now, we have an interesting link provided by Andy B which confuses me even more.

Now as a reminder, I have a November 2014 NX300h Luxury with Convenience Pack.  Can I ask you more techie minded members, are either of the units mentioned by Eddie and Andy likely to work in my car please?

I don't know what 'Android Auto' is and neither do I know if it is fitted in my car and indeed, I have no idea exactly what is fitted in my car. I just know that if I press this button I get this, and if I press that button I get that but, as to what is behind those buttons 'I aint not got the foggiest, not no how I aint'😕

I just like having all the bells and whistles, even though it takes me an age to get to grips with them all.  I boobed when I bought this car because I thought I wouldn't miss what I had on my Premier IS.................but I do😞

Hi Geoff, apologies if my post has caused any confusion.

To start answering your questions - Android Auto (AA) is the Google equivalent of apple CarPlay (AC) - i.e. maps and navigation; music; message notifications directly on your car's head-unit plus voice activation via the steering wheel control or by saying "Hey Google"  - and runs on Android phones. 

As you are no doubt aware, Lexus only offered AC and AA in some of their models produced from 2018 (with the software retrofit) or new cars from 2020. 

The device I mentioned is basically an add-on for cars that already have the above functionality and allows users to run AA wirelessly (i.e. no need to plug the smartphone into a USB socket first) so is redundant for any cars that don't have AC or AA already. I believe the device that Eddie refers to is the wireless equivalent for AC so again is of no use to you I'm afraid.

In my (albeit limited) research on getting AA or AC functionality in cars where the head-unit cannot be upgraded by the manufacturer, I have found that it's nigh impossible to achieve this without going to the inconvenience and considerable expense of installing either a hardware add-on (which I believe others on here have tried and sounds like you have looked into) or a completely new head-unit.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, Andy B said:

Hi Geoff, apologies if my post has caused any confusion.

To start answering your questions - Android Auto (AA) is the Google equivalent of Apple CarPlay (AC) - i.e. maps and navigation; music; message notifications directly on your car's head-unit plus voice activation via the steering wheel control or by saying "Hey Google"  - and runs on Android phones. 

As you are no doubt aware, Lexus only offered AC and AA in some of their models produced from 2018 (with the software retrofit) or new cars from 2020. 

The device I mentioned is basically an add-on for cars that already have the above functionality and allows users to run AA wirelessly (i.e. no need to plug the smartphone into a USB socket first) so is redundant for any cars that don't have AC or AA already. I believe the device that Eddie refers to is the wireless equivalent for AC so again is of no use to you I'm afraid.

In my (albeit limited) research on getting AA or AC functionality in cars where the head-unit cannot be upgraded by the manufacturer, I have found that it's nigh impossible to achieve this without going to the inconvenience and considerable expense of installing either a hardware add-on (which I believe others on here have tried and sounds like you have looked into) or a completely new head-unit.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

Thank you Andy, that clears things up for me now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone I'm new to your forum, and I'm from Vallromanes (Barcelona).

First of all, excuse my bad English, I have been following you for a long time and this time I would like to ask a problem I have with Android Auto since I have seen that you have a lot of experience and knowledge about it.

I recently had the same installed in my 2019 Lexus 300H that includes the connected navigator.

Since its installation I have lost the possibility of playing music through USB, I have deactivated all the Android Auto, I have canceled all its settings and I have set the Lexus connected as the preferred system, that is, the one prior to the installation of the android auto But there is no way to activate usb as an audio player through different USB sticks.

I will appreciate that if anyone has encountered the same problem, and has found the solution, tell me what to do.

Despite contacting Lexus, they have not even answered me, a regrettable situation since I have been a customer for years and currently have 2 Nx.

Best regards and thank you very much, Javier

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I have my 2019 NX300h booked in next Monday at Lexus Reading for the software upgrade. The cost is £80 incl. Vat which I think is excellent. I have been told that it takes up to 4 hours [dependent on the engineer going to and fro I suspect].

2 hours ago, Zombywoof said:

Hi all. I have my 2019 NX300h booked in next Monday at Lexus Reading for the software upgrade. The cost is £80 incl. Vat which I think is excellent. I have been told that it takes up to 4 hours [dependent on the engineer going to and fro I suspect].

Yes it does. It was interesting to watch back my dashcam footage of when they did mine, because they basically have to leave the hybrid system in READY mode for the 3 or 4 hours that it takes them to do, which meant the dashcam recorded for the duration. Unfortunately this also meant my headlights were ON for the duration of the upgrade (as it's dark in the workshop!!!). You'd think they would switch them off! Sadly, no. 🙄

On 1/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, javierdos said:
Hello everyone I'm new to your forum, and I'm from Vallromanes (Barcelona).

First of all, excuse my bad English, I have been following you for a long time and this time I would like to ask a problem I have with Android Auto since I have seen that you have a lot of experience and knowledge about it.

I recently had the same installed in my 2019 Lexus 300H that includes the connected navigator.

Since its installation I have lost the possibility of playing music through USB, I have deactivated all the Android Auto, I have canceled all its settings and I have set the Lexus connected as the preferred system, that is, the one prior to the installation of the android auto But there is no way to activate usb as an audio player through different USB sticks.

I will appreciate that if anyone has encountered the same problem, and has found the solution, tell me what to do.

Despite contacting Lexus, they have not even answered me, a regrettable situation since I have been a customer for years and currently have 2 Nx.

Best regards and thank you very much, Javier

Javier; sorry to hear about your experience with the Lexus app. As you have disconnected Android Auto; have you tried re-installing? Though I use an Iphone so I connect to apple CarPlay, so can’t offer much advice. Your Local Lexus dealer could have been much helpful though. 

• Like 1

Contemplating the software upgrade to Android / Car Play. Can the existing Lexus Navigation continue to be used and the split screen function (ie maps / energy monitor) remain available to avoid plugging in a smart phone every time?

I see the benefits of Car Play but plugging in my android phone every time to me seems a backward step. 

Advice would be very welcome.

24 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Contemplating the software upgrade to Android / Car Play. Can the existing Lexus Navigation continue to be used and the split screen function (ie maps / energy monitor) remain available to avoid plugging in a smart phone every time?

In a word, no.  It's either the car's native nav (with the option to split the screen) or CarPlay or Android Auto.  You can't mix CarPlay with the car's own stuff with a split screen.

• Thanks 1

I assume therefore that navigation etc is only possible by connecting an android phone (ie no phone =no nav) and that effectively the native Lexus Nav is no longer?

How about the details regarding fuel range etc? Will that only be available via the instrument panel and not the screen? 

Sorry for all the questions but not sure I wish the inconvenience of having to have the phone at all times and remembering to connect it for every journey. 

Absolutely no change in what you currently experience..  if you have android or apple Iphone, connect either by cable or WiFi connection, select android or carplay..  by menu or a 2 second depressions the steering control, by simply disconnecting the cable of WiFi connection to the phone reverts the car back to normal lexus nav

• Thanks 1

Yup; if you throw it into Android Auto/Apple CarPlay mode then it takes over the main infotainment screen, but you can always exit out of that and all the standard functions are still there. You're simply adding an additional option!

Nick

• Thanks 1