Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you got that app installed in your new RX450h Herbie, /

Not in the car John, as it hasn't got the Android Auto upgrade (and I don't know if it ever will get it) but I do have it on my phone.

It's a brilliant app. If I visit a town that I've never been to before I just park up (multistorey, open, wherever) and get the 3-word reference for where I am, then I can go sightseeing or wandering wherever I like, knowing that I just have to put in those three words to get directions back to that exact spot.

Also very handy for wifey going shopping and me doing something else. Whichever one of us finishes first, we just text the 3 words to the other one and say, "I'm in the pub here". No need for road names or asking locals if they know where such-and-such a pub is. I think it's excellent :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 2019 nx upgraded to Android auto on Friday at Lexus Newcastle. No charge and navigation updated at the same time. Courtesy car and wash/valet included. Well pleased with excellent service. Would be interested in addition of wireless functionality when Indiegogo comes available.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, smithy67 said:

Would be interested in addition of wireless functionality when Indiegogo comes available.

Hi Les,

I'm still waiting for my AAWireless device (i.e. from the Indiegogo start-up project) to be delivered. Inevitable teething problems with the first units, plus the global microchip shortage, have delayed things a little. I'm hopeful of getting it sometime in May, at which time I will report back on it's worthiness/compatibility with Lexus head-units.

Just now, Andy B said:

Hi Les,

I'm still waiting for my AAWireless device (i.e. from the Indiegogo start-up project) to be delivered. Inevitable teething problems with the first units, plus the global microchip shortage, have delayed things a little. I'm hopeful of getting it sometime in May, at which time I will report back on it's worthiness/compatibility with Lexus head-units.

Great Andy thanks

Hi all.  I bought and use this:

CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com – CPLAY2air.com

It does exactly as it says.  I have been using it now for several weeks and it works a treat.  I have a wireless charger in the car so all I have to do is put the phone on the charger and the phone connects to CarPlay automatically within about 15 seconds with full functionality.

£95 well spent and highly recommended, although I am not sure if this works with Android?

8 hours ago, smithy67 said:

Thanks for that. I did look at something similar on a website but it had poor reviews which put me off. It's android I use

Bought something similar, Carlinkit unit. Couldn’t figure out how to get the ice system to read the install file, so it been chucked into the back of the drawer. 

• 3 weeks later...

With apple CarPlay and wireless charging and no sign of Lexus upgrading to wireless Carplay, I went for the Cplay2air dongle and i have to say it works great. Compared with a new T-Roc and the load time/ delay in changing songs etc was identical. Impressed so far (sound quality identical too), let's hope it continues that way 🙂

• Like 1

I'm starting to wish I'd been able to add the wireless charging to my F-Sport without going for the entire Takumi pack. Anyone have any idea if it's possible to retrofit the wireless charging pad? It would be great to be able to just throw my phone down there and not keep forgetting it in the arm rest when I leave the car! 😄

Nick

On 5/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, EvilRacer329 said:

I'm starting to wish I'd been able to add the wireless charging to my F-Sport without going for the entire Takumi pack. Anyone have any idea if it's possible to retrofit the wireless charging pad? It would be great to be able to just throw my phone down there and not keep forgetting it in the arm rest when I leave the car! 😄

Nick

I have wireless charging in my NX, it’s in the centre console between the seats, not too sure what you are referring to??.

2 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

I have wireless charging in my NX, it’s in the centre console between the seats, not too sure what you are referring to??.

If he has the UX (as on the profile), then the wireless charger option was only available as part of the Takumi pack for the F-Sport. The other pack option would have been the Premium Plus, which doesn't have the wireless charger.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, EvilRacer329 said:

Nick

I can relate to that: in the NX, the charging tray is in the armrest and I always forget my phone when I leave the car. 

I have to say that I don't use the charging tray for charging. First because my phone does not fit (it's too long and can't lay flat in the tray), and the phone needs to be plugged in to use Android Auto... in which case it charges at the same time anyway.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I can relate to that: in the NX, the charging tray is in the armrest and I always forget my phone when I leave the car. 

I have to say that I don't use the charging tray for charging. First because my phone does not fit (it's too long and can't lay flat in the tray), and the phone needs to be plugged in to use Android Auto... in which case it charges at the same time anyway.

Curious - which phone is this? I was of the understanding the charging tray was made larger for the facelift NX. Of course, understand the phones keep getting bigger every year, and cars do not get updated nearly as frequently.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, subria88 said:

If he has the UX (as on the profile), then the wireless charger option was only available as part of the Takumi pack for the F-Sport. The other pack option would have been the Premium Plus, which doesn't have the wireless charger.

It was also part of the Tech and Safety pack from launch until MY2021, where the Premium Pack Pro now has it. You don't need to go full Takumi 🙂 

I don't find it works well though - certainly not on an iPhone with a camera bump - the gap it creates makes the charging intermittent and is very slow. The location is also very poor IMO.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

It was also part of the Tech and Safety pack from launch until MY2021, where the Premium Pack Pro now has it. You don't need to go full Takumi 🙂 

I don't find it works well though - certainly not on an iPhone with a camera bump - the gap it creates makes the charging intermittent and is very slow. The location is also very poor IMO.

According to the most recent UX brochure - Premium Pack Pro isn't available for the UX F-Sport, just the Premium, Premium Plus (not Pro) and Takumi packs.

48 minutes ago, subria88 said:

According to the most recent UX brochure - Premium Pack Pro isn't available for the UX F-Sport, just the Premium, Premium Plus (not Pro) and Takumi packs.

Yes sorry, for the F Sport that is correct. For the earlier F Sports (2018-2020) you could get the wireless pad via the Tech and Safety pack or Takumi, now only with Takumi.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:05 PM, subria88 said:

Curious - which phone is this? I was of the understanding the charging tray was made larger for the facelift NX. Of course, understand the phones keep getting bigger every year, and cars do not get updated nearly as frequently.

I do have the larger, post-facelift charging tray, but my phone is longer than the tray by a few millimetres, unfortunately.

It's the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I do have the larger, post-facelift charging tray, but my phone is longer than the tray by a few millimetres, unfortunately.

It's the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

Thanks.

Given my S20+ isn't much smaller (and with case on), it's probably not going to jam in there either.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, Andy B said:

Hi Les,

An update on the AAWireless device....

I finally received it 2 days ago and have installed it in my NX. Installation and setup on the phone is very straightforward using the companion App (available on the Google Play Store). The device plugs into the car's USB port via the supplied cable and the phone then connects to it to run Android Auto wirelessly - no need to connect the phone to the USB port every time you get in the car. The device is small enough to fit in the NX's centre console so is hidden away.

Connection and activation time is approximately 45 seconds which in my opinion is more than acceptable. Everything (navigation; audio; steering wheel controls; etc.) functions just as well as wired AA.

I realise it's still early days so will post a further update in a week or so.

More information on the product can be found at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless plus there are a few reviews of it on YouTube (search "AAWireless").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I finally received it 2 days ago and have installed it in my NX. Installation and setup on the phone is very straightforward using the companion App (available on the Google Play Store). The device plugs into the car's USB port via the supplied cable and the phone then connects to it to run Android Auto wirelessly - no need to connect the phone to the USB port every time you get in the car. The device is small enough to fit in the NX's centre console so is hidden away.

Connection and activation time is approximately 45 seconds which in my opinion is more than acceptable. Everything (navigation; audio; steering wheel controls; etc.) functions just as well as wired AA.

More information on the product can be found at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless plus there are a few reviews of it on YouTube (search "AAWireless").

Glad to hear you've received it Andy and sounds promising. Look forward the hearing you updates 

Les

On 5/24/2021 at 10:05 AM, subria88 said:

Thanks.

Given my S20+ isn't much smaller (and with case on), it's probably not going to jam in there either.

I will be interested to hear if you run into any issues.

I recently switched from Google Maps to Waze as it provides more up to date information (both are own by Google, but I find Waze to be more accurate and user friendly) and I listen to Spotify most of the time. However, I find that after while the phone overheats and Spotify starts to stutter. Not sure yet what is causing the overheating: could be either Waze or Spotify or Android Auto itself. I have removed the Spigen case I was using but this has not made any difference.

The problem has only starting to appear recently: Up until a few weeks ago, trips were no longer than 15 or so minutes due to lockdown, so I'm guessing that the phone may not have had enough time to overheat.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:25 AM, Andy B said:

An update on the AAWireless device after using it for a week or so....

I am very happy with it. It's so much more convenient to have Android Auto running without having to connect my phone to the USB port on every journey. I just start the car and the phone connects automatically (be it in my pocket or the glove compartment, for example).

Here are some pointers that may help others who are considering buying one (or who are waiting for theirs to arrive):-

• activation time from starting the car varies between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Not sure why there is this variation but it may be related to the order that the phone (or the head-unit) starts the necessary services.
  • Battery drain:- on my typical 45 minute "commute" the phone drops approximately 10% of it's Battery (running Android Auto with Google Maps and Spotify). My phone is a Samsung S10+ with quite a large Battery - obviously other people's experience will differ depending on what phone they have. I've invested in an anti-slip wireless charging mat which I use if need be.
  • the phone does get warm whilst it's running wireless Android Auto. Not hot to touch or anything like that - just slightly warm. I'm not overly concerned about this.
  • you need to have Bluetooth running on your phone for the AAWireless device to connect to it so if you don't have Bluetooth on permanently then you'll need to remember to activate it each time you get in the car.
  • your phone needs to be running Android 10 or higher for the device to be able to work with it

All of the above relates to my model of phone and my NX's Android Auto (retrofit) head-unit software, so other users' experiences may differ.

FYI.....due to delays with the manufacturing process (e.g. a shortage of electronic components worldwide), there is currently a significant delay in new orders being despatched. Anyone who orders one today are likely to have to wait until August\September at the earliest before they get their hands on it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, Andy B said:

An update on the AAWireless device after using it for a week or so....

I am very happy with it. It's so much more convenient to have Android Auto running without having to connect my phone to the USB port on every journey. I just start the car and the phone connects automatically (be it in my pocket or the glove compartment, for example).

Here are some pointers that may help others who are considering buying one (or who are waiting for theirs to arrive):-

• activation time from starting the car varies between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Not sure why there is this variation but it may be related to the order that the phone (or the head-unit) starts the necessary services.
  • battery drain:- on my typical 45 minute "commute" the phone drops approximately 10% of it's battery (running Android Auto with Google Maps and Spotify). My phone is a Samsung S10+ with quite a large battery - obviously other people's experience will differ depending on what phone they have. I've invested in an anti-slip wireless charging mat which I use if need be.
  • the phone does get warm whilst it's running wireless Android Auto. Not hot to touch or anything like that - just slightly warm. I'm not overly concerned about this.
  • you need to have Bluetooth running on your phone for the AAWireless device to connect to it so if you don't have Bluetooth on permanently then you'll need to remember to activate it each time you get in the car.
  • your phone needs to be running Android 10 or higher for the device to be able to work with it

All of the above relates to my model of phone and my NX's Android Auto (retrofit) head-unit software, so other users' experiences may differ.

FYI.....due to delays with the manufacturing process (e.g. a shortage of electronic components worldwide), there is currently a significant delay in new orders being despatched. Anyone who orders one today are likely to have to wait until August\September at the earliest before they get their hands on it.

Hope this helps.

Waiting for mine at the moment (should be quite soon, reading between the lines) so your update is good to know. 👍👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links