Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

On 6/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, Andy B said:

An update on the AAWireless device after using it for a week or so....

I am very happy with it. It's so much more convenient to have Android Auto running without having to connect my phone to the USB port on every journey. I just start the car and the phone connects automatically (be it in my pocket or the glove compartment, for example).

Here are some pointers that may help others who are considering buying one (or who are waiting for theirs to arrive):-

• activation time from starting the car varies between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Not sure why there is this variation but it may be related to the order that the phone (or the head-unit) starts the necessary services.
  • battery drain:- on my typical 45 minute "commute" the phone drops approximately 10% of it's battery (running Android Auto with Google Maps and Spotify). My phone is a Samsung S10+ with quite a large battery - obviously other people's experience will differ depending on what phone they have. I've invested in an anti-slip wireless charging mat which I use if need be.
  • the phone does get warm whilst it's running wireless Android Auto. Not hot to touch or anything like that - just slightly warm. I'm not overly concerned about this.
  • you need to have Bluetooth running on your phone for the AAWireless device to connect to it so if you don't have Bluetooth on permanently then you'll need to remember to activate it each time you get in the car.
  • your phone needs to be running Android 10 or higher for the device to be able to work with it

All of the above relates to my model of phone and my NX's Android Auto (retrofit) head-unit software, so other users' experiences may differ.

FYI.....due to delays with the manufacturing process (e.g. a shortage of electronic components worldwide), there is currently a significant delay in new orders being despatched. Anyone who orders one today are likely to have to wait until August\September at the earliest before they get their hands on it.

Hope this helps.

Waiting for mine at the moment (should be quite soon, reading between the lines) so your update is good to know. 👍👍

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The majority of cars sold with apple CarPlay functionality only work via a wired connection. I’ve test driven 6 recently - all requiring wired.  It is a bit unfair to say it must be ‘hard wired’ - t

I'd say it's more than that...car manufacturers (Lexus included) have been making miserable user interfaces for their infotainment systems for years and years, and they're still nowhere near as easy-t

An update on the AAWireless device after using it for a week or so.... I am very happy with it. It's so much more convenient to have Android Auto running without having to connect my phone to the

Posted Images