Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning chip for Lexus IS200

George

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Mark @ TDI:

In one of the posts you mentioned that the change would involve removing an SMT chip, have you had much of a look at the ECU, I used to be an electronic engineer so I've wondered about what effect removing the ECU has just to get a look at it, does it cause any problems if you remove it and would you disconnect the Battery or leave it on?

I'm interested in getting the second chip (from digitaltuning) so a comparison of the two can be made, all depends on the difficulty involved in removing from the current ECU.

Originally posted by dboey

Hi John,

It seem that your unichip still have some minor problem. The Powerchips from Digital Motors is a chip to replace the stock one in the ECU Box. It is not a piggyback ECU like the UNICHIP.

no more already :D

the fault mentioned was caused by the mechanic's carelessnes.....

<>

You can remove the ecu to have a look inside.

I personally think you would be better off with a custom mapped system like a Unichip, than a pre programmed chip.

It sounds like Vic may ask us to do a before and after test on his car if he buys the chip, but of course you would expect totally different results on your car any way.

Mark

I think you'll find that the F-CON only works on the 3S engine and not the 1G. In any case, I think the F-CON has got preset settings which are not adjustable after tuning. Unfortunately, the 1G-FE engine is quite limited in what you can do to it.

Originally posted by pyaap

I think you'll find that the F-CON only works on the 3S engine and not the 1G. In any case, I think the F-CON has got preset settings which are not adjustable after tuning. Unfortunately, the 1G-FE engine is quite limited in what you can do to it.

eh...according to the Jap Magazine, HyperRev, F CON can be used in 1G-FE engine :)

Hi all, ive ordered the chip from powerchips & once its done will let you all know the score....as will prob mark as im going to ask him to fit it :) One thing though which you mentioned earlier about what works well on one might not work well on another...this does sort of make sense, but if this is the case on a stock engine then how do they overcome it from new???? the cars all have the same specs from new.....???? :?:

I think Hyper-Rev got it wrong. I bought that magazine too and was interested so I called HKS direct and was told that the 'AS' model listed for the F-CON in the magazine is in fact for the 2JZ-GE engine in the IS300 and not the 1G-FE.

I just make a call to company, and they told that they don't make superchip for LExus IS200. But they web page still claims that. There is also one strange thing. I have make investigation to replace that original ECU with MoTec M48 or M800. And i open Lexus original ECU box and suprise suprise, there is not single removable eeprom in mainboard. All cirquits are jointed in mainboard, so there is no way that superchip can be placed there. What was more strange that sales man claims that they don't sell that any more, because of broblems in first installation... what a lie.

Well my powerchip has arrived so we will all soon find out if it's any good or not....to the chap who just said that there isnt a removable eprom.....if you read marks earlier post to me he actually said that it may have to be soldered...so obiously that is the case! will let you all know soon........

hi john,

Just got my car back from the garage & ive got the chip now so Im getting it done as soon as mark can fit me in!...I decided to have a look at the ecu myself only to find that it's got 4 very strange size Torx anti tamper screws which prevented me from opening it up! But will let you know asap! So mark if your reading this before I get hold of you....book me in asap & give us a bell(or u2u)

Hi Guys,

I got a reply from Chris, Digital Motors regarding the Powerchip. The exact reply was as follows:

"If you want to modify your ECU, you have to send to our European Technic Support in France,

AST

3 rue des Biches

F74100 Ville La Grand

France.

Looks like TDI are booked up for at least a month so it will be a while before i can give any of you the results of the 'powerchip'. Unless of course i find a way of taking out the anti tamper screws!! Im ok with a soldering iron so not too bothered about doing it myself, but just dont fancy drilling out the screws! Still will keep you all posted.

Still not having any joy getting my ecu apart:( so nothing to report as yet guys...sorry!

But I have come up with an idea which i think will come in quite useful! As the ecu chip is apparently soldered to the board...Ive purchased an eprom socket...This is basicly a socket that the chip can be pushed into & removed without soldering...& I am going to unsolder the original chip & replace it with a socket! That way the chips can be swapped over in a matter of minutes without the need of a soldering iron!! I will post pictures once the deed is done!

yes thats what im expecting it to be... I already have the chip from powerchips which is a 28pin eprom which im sure will be surface mounted knowing lexus. I have a blower so not a prob for me...But for others they could take it to anywhere that does that sort of thing electrical engineers, tv shops etc... & Im sure they would do the job for them!