Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

An ODD morning... not in a good way.

An odd morning...

Wife taking out dog in car (RX350). Her remote would not work, so she used her spare key.

Then about 1 mile down the road, it did the thing it did about about 12-18 months ago, whereby it just speeded up. She tried braking, no response. She said she thought she was going to die.

She managed to stop - though she can't really remember how - by driving into a side road with a hill. However it did, she stopped - in the middle of the road. She then rang me.

First she rang the AA ( she had let it expire, Lesson 1 ), then she rang Green Flag ( she had the wrong/old number in her phone, Lesson 2 ), then she rang Green Flag on my phone ( correct number stored ) and found she had no cover. So... NO cover.

I managed to get my daughter to collect me and drive to where my wife's car was, with my portable Starter - bought on amazon and inspired by this Forum. I had bought one for my wife, but... the car seemed dead, would not start, starter was in the boot and the boot would not open - still won't. Currently charging the car, which I drove back home.

So... those starters are great. It's a 3.5 litre engine. Started first time with my starter. ( It went down to 62% so I am charging that as well. ) I'll make sure they are not stored in the boot. Not sure why as yet it will not open. ( Lesson 3? )

So... it has happened at least twice now - accelerating without the pedal being pushed. ( I think it may be a known Lexus issue? ) I think she will probably buy a newer Lexus or similar as I think she is too scared to drive it now.

Oddly, also when trying to open my Lexus RX300 - to get my portable starter - both my remotes would not open my car. Had to set the alarm off, quickly get the starter and then manually lock it again.

An odd morning... and a scary one for my wife.

PS. If anyone has any words of wisdom regarding opening my car, I'd be most grateful. Key fob batteries are recent, though I do have another spare I can try.

Turning the key in the lock just sets the alarm off... 

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken which I might be , wasn’t there something a few years ago about some IS models in the US had the speeding up problem but it was put down to the floor mats somehow having rucked up or slipped and were pushing down the accelerator...I think it was that anyway although I’m not hundred percent sure. I’m sure someone might show that I’m wrong.

But maybe it’s best to check the drivers floor mat . To see if it’s in its original position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you x 2.

The mats look fine...

Rang Lexus this morning who say get it recovered to a Lexus Centre to take a look at.

( We probably will, though I predict the outcome - 'we can find nothing wrong' )

3 minutes ago, PCM said:

Thank you x 2.

The mats look fine...

Rang Lexus this morning who say get it recovered to a Lexus Centre to take a look at.

( We probably will, though I predict the outcome - 'we can find nothing wrong' )

Ask them to read the E.C.U. Piers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

This would give me sleepless nights and leave me with no confidence in the vehicle

I would just get rid and buy another

Me too.

I think ... she  ( I ), will be looking at a newer, (used) Lexus approved RX. Part exchanging the current one...

Well it wouldn't make sense to drive it again until what is causing the problem has beeen found and rectified.  If you are assured in writing that this haas been done you can take a view as to whether to keep or trade.

• Like 2

Off topic but some years ago my wife had an Audi A2 that did shut itself down whilst driving. All dead, engine and all no electricity nothing. Stop the car take out key put in turn key and all fine again. First i did not really believe her until it happened to me when overtaking on a dual carriage way. All dead without warning ( and no power steering or brakes). Car back to the dealer and sorry sir nothing wrong we cant find anything. Back again and third time i handed over the keys and left. Car went to importer/maindealer where they replaced the ECU. 

That solved the matter as no more issues. So, like John is hinting at the ECU could be to blame here. 

• Like 2

I  just wonder if the cruise control had inadvertently been engaged as a possible cause.

But I'm not a fan of "throttle by wire" systems where there is no mechanical link between the pedal and the throttle plate. An electronic issue can command the throttle plate to do anything. But TBW systems are in virtually all cars now since the late 90's.

Even more scary are the "brake by wire" systems where the brakes are commanded electronically. Not an issue until that one time the computer says no...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

I  just wonder if the cruise control had inadvertently been engaged as a possible cause.

But I'm not a fan of "throttle by wire" systems where there is no mechanical link between the pedal and the throttle plate. An electronic issue can command the throttle plate to do anything. But TBW systems are in virtually all cars now since the late 90's.

Even more scary are the "brake by wire" systems where the brakes are commanded electronically. Not an issue until that one time the computer says no...

Cruise Control was definitely off... but thank you for thinking.

Wasn't this also an issue with the early Prius? The car accelerating and people heading for their doom!  So glad your wife was is ok Piers, it must have been terrifying, I don't suppose the dog cared either way!

• Like 1

Thank you.

Wife was shaken.

Dog probably thought it's a new game!

( Oddly, have charged her car all day, her key fob won't work on her RX 350. Hers is unlocked.)

( Having used my car last week a few times, my key fob won't work on my RX300. Mine is locked. )

( Will try new key fob batteries tomorrow. )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Do you have any radio telescopes, telecommunication stations, government listening stations nearby?   

Nice one Pete.T`was my first thought this morning, so I googled for recent installation in Herts and found nothing.

• Like 2

This needs to be taken super seriously and to the highest level, as soon as I read the account of what happened I immediately recalled an incident that happen a few years ago in my home town which I have never forgot and can remember in great detail.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Family+of+crash+victim+set+to+sue+car+giants+Ford.-a060773106

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Texas said:

This needs to be taken super seriously and to the highest level, as soon as I read the account of what happened I immediately recalled an incident that happen a few years ago in my home town which I have never forgot and can remember in great detail.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Family+of+crash+victim+set+to+sue+car+giants+Ford.-a060773106

A few years ago? That was 1998... What was the outcome?

Floor mat intrusion seems to have been discounted in the OP's case

1998!!!!.....well after working for the Fire & Rescue Service for 28+ years doing an 8 day cycle shift week it throws your sense of time right out the window!! Not sure of the eventual outcome re the Ford lawsuit but was forever imprinted with the aftermath of a total non fault accident that could happen to anyone at anytime, the words 'scary' and 'not your worst enemy' spring to mind but with all my years of dealing with RTC Deaths and Life changing injuries it has almost, almost become a socially accepted way to die! And a few ( My idea of a few!) years ago RTC deaths actually made it into the 'Top Ten' causes of deaths worldwide according the the WHO! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nice one Pete.T`was my first thought this morning, so I googled for recent installation in Herts and found nothing.

Agree. None that I am aware of...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Dear me Piers, not good at all.

Hope you get it sorted or traded in quickly my friend.

Thank you.

She said she stopped the car by turning off the ignition - nothing else would slow it down.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Thank you.

She said she stopped the car by turning off the ignition - nothing else would slow it down.

Never had to do that, thank goodness.

Anyone know what happens when the ignition is switched off in an automatic vehicle whilst in Drive and in motion ?

A few years ago my daughter's IS200 wouldn't lock/unlock on the drive outside our house.  We eventually discovered the problem was caused by the remote control buttons for the house alarm which had one button stuck in so that it was constantly transmitting.  Unstuck the button and car was fine again!

Something else to check?

JBP

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JBPRX400h said:

A few years ago my daughter's IS200 wouldn't lock/unlock on the drive outside our house.  We eventually discovered the problem was caused by the remote control buttons for the house alarm which had one button stuck in so that it was constantly transmitting.  Unstuck the button and car was fine again!

Something else to check?

JBP

Great thought... but no...but thank you.

Took batteries out of both alarm remotes, but no joy. 😞